Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

A principled option for U.S. president: Endorsing Gary Johnson, Libertarian - Chicago Tribune

Before commenting, please read (or at least scan) the above editorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
A principled option for U.S. president: Endorsing Gary Johnson, Libertarian - Chicago Tribune

Before commenting, please read (or at least scan) the above editorial.
It was a good endorsement for Mr. Johnson. It lays out a damning condemnation of Donald John Trump, and, while stating that Hillary Rodham Clinton is obviously qualified to be President, objects to her intention to raise taxes and ignore the national debt (among other things).

Of course, many prefer a person that can name a foreign leader, knows about Aleppo, and realizes that Anthony Kennedy was a concurring vote in the Court case concerning imminent domain (Kelo) (Mr. Johnson had spoken highly of Justice Kennedy, unaware of his voting record in many cases, including Kelo, which Mr. Johnson is against).

However, on the other hand: Mr. Johnson is not Trump or Clinton. He does have that, in spades.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It was a good endorsement for Mr. Johnson. It lays out a damning condemnation of Donald John Trump, and, while stating that Hillary Rodham Clinton is obviously qualified to be President, objects to her intention to raise taxes and ignore the national debt (among other things).

Of course, many prefer a person that can name a foreign leader, knows about Aleppo, and realizes that Anthony Kennedy was a concurring vote in the Court case concerning imminent domain (Kelo) (Mr. Johnson had spoken highly of Justice Kennedy, unaware of his voting record in many cases, including Kelo, which Mr. Johnson is against).

However, on the other hand: Mr. Johnson is not Trump or Clinton. He does have that, in spades.
Yes, it is a little bit off-putting that Johnson was ignorant about Aleppo and Justice Kennedy. However, I think that two things things need to be pointed out:

1. I doubt if Johnson has ever truly believed that he would ever be taken as a serious contender for the Presidency, let alone achieve that office. If he had thought this election would be such a circus with so many voters against Trump AND Clinton, I am almost positive he would be more knowledgeable about current events.

2. If Johnson by some miracle is elected President, I am sure that he would undertake a crash course in current events and have numerous people to advise him.

I truly do think that although he is certainly not perfect and neither is his record -- and although I don't agree with him on everything -- his record speaks very well for him; and I definitely would prefer him as POTUS over Donald or Hillary.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Yes, it is a little bit off-putting that Johnson was ignorant about Aleppo and Justice Kennedy. However, I think that two things things need to be pointed out:

1. I doubt if Johnson has ever truly believed that he would ever be taken as a serious contender for the Presidency, let alone achieve that office. If he had thought this election would be such a circus with so many voters against Trump AND Clinton, I am almost positive he would be more knowledgeable about current events.

2. If Johnson by some miracle is elected President, I am sure that he would undertake a crash course in current events and have numerous people to advise him.

I truly do think that although he is certainly not perfect and neither is his record -- and although I don't agree with him on everything -- his record speaks very well for him; and I definitely would prefer him as POTUS over Donald or Hillary.
Johnson wasn't "ignorant about Aleppo". His discussion of Syrian events shows that.

Previous Questions:
BARNICLE: Which of those candidates of the two-party system — Republican candidate, Democratic candidate — do you draw the most votes from?.......

BARNICLE: But do you worry about the Nader effect in 2000?.......

BARNICLE: What would you do, if you were elected, about Aleppo?.....
Gary Johnson Aleppo: Read a Transcript of the Interview

And from that the American people are told that Johnson "could not identify Aleppo". Which could have been UNESCO, NATO, or any number of words or acronyms that are commonly used.

Nonsense. It's just gotcha journalism. Obviously, it works. But it does not serve anyone but the journalist who engages in it.
No one else has been asked such a question without proper framework.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Anyone who thinks hil, who the fbi director called "Extremely careless" and documents show she claims to not know what "C" means as SS, and calls such a person "Qualified", should be taken off the rational/sane/has good judgement list.

And taking judgment from a guy who is running for president and doesn't know what Aleppo is....

Seriously, put down the weed johnson. Your "judgement" is pathetic.

But the other poor judgement crowd, the hil voter, gonna love ya for the shout out!

Old 10-12-2016, 02:33 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Johnson wasn't "ignorant about Aleppo". His discussion of Syrian events shows that.

Previous Questions:
BARNICLE: Which of those candidates of the two-party system — Republican candidate, Democratic candidate — do you draw the most votes from?.......

BARNICLE: But do you worry about the Nader effect in 2000?.......

BARNICLE: What would you do, if you were elected, about Aleppo?.....
Gary Johnson Aleppo: Read a Transcript of the Interview

And from that the American people are told that Johnson "could not identify Aleppo". Which could have been UNESCO, NATO, or any number of words or acronyms that are commonly used.

Nonsense. It's just gotcha journalism. Obviously, it works. But it does not serve anyone but the journalist who engages in it.
No one else has been asked such a question without proper framework.
I saw that interview. There was nothing gotcha about it. Just a plain old question. What would you do about Aleppo? Maybe if it were Palin, it would be a gotcha question, as nobody would expect her to have heard of the place. But Johnson?

Even Johnson doesn't think he should be president.

"...On Tuesday, you also tried to explain away your gaffes by saying that you have “never been in politics before.” Are you forgetting that you were a two-term governor of New Mexico, and that you actually ran for president in 2012 (as a Republican first, then as a Libertarian after you couldn’t get in the debates)?

You’re starting to see the truth here, though, when you say, “I guess I wasn’t meant to be president.”.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Good for the Tribune. It's a start. I was very dissapointed when he picked Weld and I'm voting for Stein but Johnson is still far better than Trump or Hillary.

Johnson....when asked something he doesn't know. "I don't know".

Trump when asked something he doesn't know. "I'll destroy it whatever it is".

Hillary when asked. "Lie".

Old 10-12-2016, 03:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
anyone but Hillary is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections