Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 AM

8,638 posts, read 10,169,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Regardless of who is your chosen – or least favorite – presidential candidate, independent minds should be concerned about the latest revelations in the news media’s unseemly relationships with government and political actors. While there are many responsible journalists working today, inside documents and leaks have exposed serious lapses constituting the most far-reaching scandal our industry has known. It’s our very own Newsgate.
Quote:
It can be argued that some individual accounts can be rationalized and are not serious breaches of ethics. But taken as a whole, it’s easy to see how we as journalists have done a poor job protecting ourselves from being co-opted by organized interests, often ones that are paid and politically-motivated. Whether we realize it or not, they’ve figured out how to exploit the media and use us to publish their propaganda. It implies a broad and growing trend that has seriously undermined the credibility of the news industry.
Quote:
Opinion reporters and those who work for obviously ideological news groups are entitled to publish party propaganda. It’s one matter to provide viewpoint journalism. But it’s quite another for us to act as a tool of any interest, publishing narratives or talking points upon suggestion or demand, without disclosing we’ve done just that.
Quote:
The Players

The following accounts come from human sources, Freedom of Information Act documents and Wikileaks emails. Obviously, this is just a small sampling of the behind the scenes dealings going on between reporters and their sources. Those mentioned below, to the extent they’ve offered comment, have denied doing anything improper or unethical. Some of the reporters have explained that the reason they provided advance drafts of stories to their news subjects, or allowed the subjects to make editorial choices—moves that are generally considered unethical—was to be responsible, as part of a fact check. Some have commented their actions reflect common practice.
Do you see this as unethical or responsible?

Here is a list of the "Players" - you can read more here: https://sharylattkisson.com/newsgate-2016/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 07:38 AM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
I guess I've been around long enough to expect the media to favor the Left. It's not a big problem for me. True, it is a shame that they are not neutral, but human nature trends toward corruption - something I've also come to take for granted.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,947,961 times
Very amusing.

I find it pretty ironic that the Trump Cult has chosen the "MSM" as the scapegoat for their inability to win, especially since it was the "MSM" in the form of FOX NEWS that enabled Trump's nomination in the first place.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Very amusing.

I find it pretty ironic that the Trump Cult has chosen the "MSM" as the scapegoat for their inability to win, especially since it was the "MSM" in the form of FOX NEWS that enabled Trump's nomination in the first place.
I am not a Trump supporter. Having said that, what is your overall thoughts on the media regardless of your party affiliation?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I am not a Trump supporter. Having said that, what is your overall thoughts on the media regardless of your party affiliation?
There are plenty of sources available to reinforce whatever perspectives that people hold. I actually think media is more compartmentalized than it has ever been.

AS far as my personal approach... I tend to seek out divergent sources, read them critically and skeptically, and attempt to balance the various accounts into something resembling "likely probability".

Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM

Default Story Updated with Additional Information

Here is an updated link from the article:

https://sharylattkisson.com/newsgate-2016/

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,131,677 times
Sharly Atkinsson? You mean that lifelong employee of MSM? I thought they were all biased.

Mick

Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Sharly Atkinsson? You mean that lifelong employee of MSM? I thought they were all biased.

Mick
She is a seasoned, veteran journalist. Do you actually have anything substantive to offer?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Ok.

So you just impersonate one on this board by making sure every single one of your posts defends Trump and attacks Clinton-supporters...

Listen, dude. You have plenty of company in the Trump Cult. The numbers should encourage you to come out of you closet and take a stance. I understand your embarrassment, as many assume that anyone supporting Trump is a low-informed and poorly educated voter.

But if you aren't comfortable admitting your support for the candidate, then why are you so adamant in confronting Clinton supporters in every one of your posts?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Ok.

So you just impersonate one on this board by making sure every single one of your posts defends Trump and attacks Clinton-supporters...

Listen, dude. You have plenty of company in the Trump Cult. The numbers should encourage you to come out of you closet and take a stance. I understand your embarrassment, as many assume that anyone supporting Trump is a low-informed and poorly educated voter.

But if you aren't comfortable admitting your support for the candidate, then why are you so adamant in confronting Clinton supporters in every one of your posts?
As I've stated before, my focus is on exposing Clinton and the current administration...and don't call me dude. Are you really trying to dispute what is clearly outlined in the article?

BTW, I started this thread, so how am I adamantly confronting Clinton supporters? My focus is on the information available.

What I have found here on CD is that when certain posters disagree and have nothing substantive to back up their disagreements, they immediately go on a vendetta of personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections