Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
That was a joke and many people fell for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is the right of citizens to vote, yet we show no proof of citizenship
It is the right of the people to keep & bear arms, but we have to show an ID and jump through hoops, to prove citizenship, when citizenship isn't even a requirement.

Isn't that backwards?
You're not proving citizenship when you submit to a background check when purchasing a gun. You're proving that you're not a felon or disqualified for some other reason. And you can always purchase a gun at a gun show.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
First of all its less than clear that the fraud that does exist would be solved by IDs.

Why don't the states that insist on strict IDs provide the IDs at the time the voter registers? If they don't do this then clearly they are more concerned with voter suppression than voter fraud.
Why do we need ID's for getting a gun? If fraud can't be eliminated than why not give everyone a gun with no ID and just by sending in a paper stating you want to get it in the mail!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're not proving citizenship when you submit to a background check when purchasing a gun. You're proving that you're not a felon or disqualified for some other reason. And you can always purchase a gun at a gun show.
But you need a gun permit to buy a gun and getting a gun permit is based on being a permanent resident or not or being a citizen!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
While I understand "voter fraud" is the usual thing trotted out, but is there actually any documented cases of this taking place? By documented I mean investigations and arrests, not your usual gang of internet boards.

Secondly if voter fraud is so rampant, and the Dems are so effective, why are they doing such a **** job? They lost both the House and the Senate and so many Governor's mansions? If you're going to undermine democracy totally, why wouldn't you actually take the places that matter?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Yes, but considering your praise for Hitler's "early successes" in the other thread*... you are probably all for certain groups of Americans having to wear identifying letters sewn on their clothing.

* post #10

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...out-trump.html

?? what is it with the personal attack?

You read a response of mine in another post and try to apply it to this one?

For those that don't click your link to my response I said that Hitler did good things for Germany up to the war and systematic murder of millions.

How does wearing identifying letters sewn on clothing have anything to do with voter fraud the subject of this thread??

Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
But you need a gun permit to buy a gun and getting a gun permit is based on being a permanent resident or not or being a citizen!
In most of the country, no.

Where you need a permit to buy a gun: CA, CT, DC, HI, IL, IA, MA, NJ.

Where you need a permit to buy a handgun (but not a long gun): IN, MD, MN, NE, NY, NC, RI.

Everywhere else, you do not need a permit to purchase a gun.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
In Florida during Storms or Hurricanes, home owners need to show a valid photo ID to obtain a free sand bag.

Since Democrats are so adamant that voter fraud doesn't exist or not on a large scale than what is the issue with mandatory ID's to be shown.

Provide different ID's for people with low income so everyone can have an ID. If you are homeless you can't vote as you need an address where mail is received to prove who you are unless a homeless person has prove of a birth certificate and who they are.

Anyone against it is in favor of fraud!
There is NO better case for voter fraud than the gerrymandering that Repubican are SO fond of.

Also, elections are state-run so blame the REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS of that state.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Why do we need ID's for getting a gun? If fraud can't be eliminated than why not give everyone a gun with no ID and just by sending in a paper stating you want to get it in the mail!
Trying to deflect your own thread?

My position is that if the State is going to require a particular ID to vote then the State should provide the ID at the time the voter is registered. If they don't then its clear they are not really interested in voter fraud.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverikv View Post
I don't understand why anyone thinks people who aren't allowed to vote will commit a federal crime to do so. People who are allowed to vote don't even do it. It's not like you win a prize. Voter turnout is abysmal, and you think people are risking jail time to do it? People won't even risk nothing to do it..
Thank you. If every person I know that whined about how bad things are in my small town, actually got off their butts and voted - they could do something about it.

But no, they don't even know when voting time comes around. They even make it easy by having early voting, but getting to the DQ or Wal-Mart is more important.

Then there are the Trump supporters. What weird scary scenarios they come up with in my local area. And the thing is, Texas will go for him, so I feel like telling them to save their money and not to buy any signs, but no. To them it is all about guns and abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections