Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times

Advertisements

How long have we been told that Trump supports are "poorly educated"?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...00.50%20AM.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...01.03%20AM.png

Now tell me this. How is it that 51% of high school grads vote for Trump and yet 50% of people making less than $35k a year are voting for Hillary? If you correlate the charts, people with college degrees should be making less than $35k a year.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-22-2016 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

Now tell me this. How is it that 51% of high school grads vote for Trump and yet 50% of people making less than $35k a year are voting for Hillary? If you correlate the charts, people with college degrees should be making less than $35k a year.
the 51% of high school grads are likely working in high paying trades (you don't need 4 years of college to be a plumber or an electrician - many start out making $25 an hour as an apprentice and wages go up steadily from there)

those making less than $35,000 a year?? likely living in whats considered the "bad neighborhoods" in major cities as well as section 8 people and people living in the "projects" in NYC that will likely be demolished in less than 5 years because the number of rich people (those making more than $250,000 a year) and the value of the land is far more important than 'political ramifications'

Old 10-21-2016, 11:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,460,310 times
I make less than $35,000 a year, live in a fairly nice neighborhood (crime wise, not money wise), own my own home. And I'm voting against Hillary.

Maybe the voting isn't as cut and dried as people think.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
the 51% of high school grads are likely working in high paying trades (you don't need 4 years of college to be a plumber or an electrician - many start out making $25 an hour as an apprentice and wages go up steadily from there)

those making less than $35,000 a year?? likely living in whats considered the "bad neighborhoods" in major cities as well as section 8 people and people living in the "projects" in NYC that will likely be demolished in less than 5 years because the number of rich people (those making more than $250,000 a year) and the value of the land is far more important than 'political ramifications'
What you are listing are the outliers. Yes, there are plumbers who didn't finish high school who make six figures. If you go by the median income, you can't explain the charts.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I make less than $35,000 a year, live in a fairly nice neighborhood (crime wise, not money wise), own my own home. And I'm voting against Hillary.

Maybe the voting isn't as cut and dried as people think.
I agree cb73, I know people of all income ranges that are either voting for Trump or against Hillary.

On a side note, some of us are deemed “deplorable” because we rebel against the interests of the elites. Since you're voting against Hillary I wonder what Hillary and her camp calls you.

Last edited by petch751; 10-21-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 11:39 PM

30,416 posts, read 19,200,796 times
The poor and the rich are for Hillary and the Dems and middle Class are for Trump and Republican....this is a consistent pattern (Republicans winning the middle class) for decades. The reason the Dems want to flood the country with illegal immigrants is that that lowers wages dropping the middle class voters to lower class and hopefully gets them on welfare where they know they got them in the voting for as long as they're leeching off the system.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,116,642 times
Both parties and ideology have their dumb followers and educated followers. This is not a smart vs dumb thing. We mostly agree that the US has the same problems but we vary on what we thing government's role is in solving them.

Anybody who accuses the 'other' group of being mostly dumb and stupid... Well we just found out who the dumb one is in their camp. We do not have to agree but we do have to live our lives together.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,635,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

Mmmm.... I hate to say this, but I think you're disproving your own point. Because you apparently don't even know how to read your own graph.

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE OR LESS

GOP - 51.5%
Dem - 39.1%

SOME COLLEGE

GOP - 46.8%
Dem - 40.6%

COLLEGE GRADUATE

GOP - 35.1%
DEM - 51.4%

Do you seriously not comprehend what that graph is telling you? The more poorly educated you are, the more likely you are to belong to the Trump cult. You're apparently trying to prove.... mmmm... well, what exactly? That income level is a better measure of how educated someone is than education level? That somehow people who dropped out of high school and make 75K a year are better educated than people with master's degrees who make 25K a year?

Seriously?????

Good lord. And you people wonder why we make fun of y'all.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:56 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,977,508 times
Also remember older people tend to have less degrees. Many people in their 50's and above didn't need college degrees to get promoted back in the day.

People are better defined by market segmentation than broad statements like "college educated" "race"

However this has 66 categories
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claritas_Prizm

Old 10-21-2016, 11:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Also remember older people tend to have less degrees. Many people in their 50's and above didn't need college degrees to get promoted back in the day.
You may be referring to the 50's generation but back then you were lucky to be able to graduate HS instead of having to go out to work. There were many who followed the foot steps of their parents even but it didn't work out so good for them.

They were raised to believing in unions and pensions which again didn't pan out. I'm surrounded by these types who loved Bill Clinton, their kids refused to see the writing on the wall and haven't fared well. I live in a blue state and I don't see the people change with the times like they didn't before. They still hold on.

Last edited by petch751; 10-22-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections