Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times

Advertisements

That he's campaigning and doing a rally in southwest Florida which is already a Republican stronghold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
It's about optics nor actually changing minds. I wonder if we're going to read articles six months from now how rallies have been now thoroughly discredited as a means of fostering a campaign. If all you're doing is preaching to the choir, and your rallies aren't about convincing the people there to think beyond themselves and devote their time and energy to working for the campaign, how are you expanding your base?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
He has to win FL. Might as well focus on strengthening areas of FL where he's solid. Guess the Miami Dade area is being conceded, but the rest of FL needs attention. He's headed to my city next week.......needless to say, I'm not going.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:07 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's about optics nor actually changing minds. I wonder if we're going to read articles six months from now how rallies have been now thoroughly discredited as a means of fostering a campaign. If all you're doing is preaching to the choir, and your rallies aren't about convincing the people there to think beyond themselves and devote their time and energy to working for the campaign, how are you expanding your base?
Most people going to his rallies are already voting for him, so it's really just a chance for him to say something stupid and get on the news.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:17 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Lets say I initially feel I dont like a canidate like SAnders or Trump. You live near the area of a rally. Then tens of thousands of canidate faithful are suddenly in your neighborhood defacto surrogates of their canidate. That might sway your vote against that canidate. If I was to see Trump supporters up close chanting their slogans and acting they way they do up close, might have the unintended consequence of driving Trump support down among swing voters.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:24 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Lets say I initially feel I dont like a canidate like SAnders or Trump. You live near the area of a rally. Then tens of thousands of canidate faithful are suddenly in your neighborhood defacto surrogates of their canidate. That might sway your vote against that canidate. If I was to see Trump supporters up close chanting their slogans and acting they way they do up close, might have the unintended consequence of driving Trump support down among swing voters.
You could have an open mind and attend the rally to see what it's all aboit. I had a liberal friend that went to a Trump rally. He was the only candidate to date that came to our small town.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That he's campaigning and doing a rally in southwest Florida which is already a Republican stronghold.
You really don't get it, which is fine. Trump is loyal to his supporters and has the energy, unlike Hillary, to actually get out and around to everyone. I suspect we have the "green eyed monster" issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
You could have an open mind and attend the rally to see what it's all aboit. I had a liberal friend that went to a Trump rally. He was the only candidate to date that came to our small town.
While Hillary concentrates on where to get votes (or cash), Trump is concentrating on reaching out to Americans with his message and introducing them to the movement. Trump appreciates those that support him enough to take time to show up to their towns. I think it is great! He also sends a lot of surveys/polls to subscribers of his website asking what we want.

Trump is just being decent and not playing favorites, not really playing a game at all.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He has to win FL. Might as well focus on strengthening areas of FL where he's solid.
As opposed to trying to attract votes from folks who are undecided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Most people going to his rallies are already voting for him, so it's really just a chance for him to say something stupid and get on the news.
Pretty much. It will be *news* if he can make it through a rally without calling attention to his sexual misconduct himself. Until he can show the mature discipline to do so, his self-defeating attempt at evasion of accountability for what he's said and done is going to be all that comes out of these rallies, so he's not even getting the positive effect of getting on television for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Lets say I initially feel I dont like a canidate like SAnders or Trump. You live near the area of a rally. Then tens of thousands of canidate faithful are suddenly in your neighborhood defacto surrogates of their canidate.
That's just my point: Why not hold rallies where he's likely to generate faithful, instead of effectively taking up the time of the already-faithful that those already-faithful could instead be using to canvass their neighborhood?

Beyond that, even if there was some intention along the lines you're thinking, he's not feeding to these faithful anything close to what they need to sway anyone not already blindly following Trump. He's not providing the answers to the questions that the undecideds are asking (like "How are you going to pay for these nice tax cuts?" and "Why should I believe that you're going to create jobs that the experts say you have no capability to create?)

Old 10-23-2016, 05:51 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You really don't get it, which is fine. Trump is loyal to his supporters and has the energy, unlike Hillary, to actually get out and around to everyone. I suspect we have the "green eyed monster" issue here.

While Hillary concentrates on where to get votes (or cash), Trump is concentrating on reaching out to Americans with his message and introducing them to the movement. Trump appreciates those that support him enough to take time to show up to their towns. I think it is great! He also sends a lot of surveys/polls to subscribers of his website asking what we want.

Trump is just being decent and not playing favorites, not really playing a game at all.
Are you sending him money?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Free tickets too! It's like free entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections