Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,909,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You're the new user here with practically no reputation to speak of.
Appeal to authority, not well versed on logical argument are we? Besides, explain to me how a reputation system which essentially is someone else going "I agree" is a valid authority to any random subject you discuss? Is the moon made of cheese if a large number of people agree with that assessment?

Quote:
A question that shows that you have no idea how to engage in an online discussion on C-D. Friendly Hint: Trying to insinuate that the person you're talking with is young is a sure-fire sign you realize that your comments have no merit (doubly so when the person you're talking with has been participating in online forums for over thirty years). Stick to the topic if you want your comments to be considered potentially credible.
The entire quote was:

Quote:
You want me to make your argument for you? LOL

How old are you?
You made an immature argument, one that expected me to take your argument and defend it for you.

So far, I have answered to each of your accusations, your claims, etc... and yet you have merely called me wrong, accused me of being anti-American, asked me to make your position for you and now you are dismissing me.

Run along, you continued to fail to state. Until you enter the discussion with a properly established argument, you your position is invalid.

So either enter the discussion or don't, but make no mistake... you are not valid here in your position.

Last edited by NxtGen; 10-30-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
Some people earn ignore quickly; the above poster qualifies.
I would, but the "privacy" setting disallows that so unless I make a specific point to remember him and his behavior, I sometimes forget and respond to him.

They really need to change that feature here and allow a person to ignore someone without having to view their profile. That is, unless I am missing something and there is another way to do it. If so, my thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by NxtGen; 10-30-2016 at 06:42 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvibegirl View Post
Mr. Trump stated numerous times that he will give back the power to the states. This is showing to me Mr. Trump is not a dictator nor does he want to tell the states what to do.

Mr. Trump said he will give power to the states on education and get rid of Common Core which the Federal government is dictating to the states on how to educate their children.

Mr. Trump will give power back to the states on many other policies making the states stronger for their people . This in itself is in the right direction.We know the federal government under President Obama has been very dictatorial to the states not allowing their rights to go forward and has been a problem for the people.
This will put the power in the peoples hands not the federal government who is not allowing the states to decide the issues .

Do you think the states should have more power?
We need a balance between states rights, local county and city rights and federal government control. With that said, I am very much in favor of state rights. a good example is education. The needs in one state can be very different from needs in another state. Why should the federal government stick their nose into it?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:32 AM

26,017 posts, read 22,214,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
The Constitution gives all power not reserved for the general government to the States.

So, yes, I am sure that the States were/are supposed to have more power.
Did they quit teaching American/US History in high school? Apparently since so few seem to have a clue about our government. We also had a required course, 1 semester, in American government. So, who are these people that are so clueless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
That's because you have not read the Constitution nor have you any idea how or why our nation was formed.

That's the vibe I get when I read statements such as yours above.
Again, how do they fall so short on knowledge?

Quote:
Really? In saying so this is the comment you're defending:Did you not read the comment to which my comment was responding, or did you just post a pointlessly irrelevant reply in denial of the fact that that "really poor argument" was holding up a mirror to the original "really poor argument" that it was in response to?

Stop posting rationalizations for people who are dumbing down the discussion with drivel such as what is quoted above.

And the Fourteenth Amendment very deliberately changed that balance.
The thread is about state's rights. I have no idea what you are discussing. State's rights have nothing to do with racism. Racism is the battle cry of the Democrats because they have nothing else if you eliminate voting by what is between someone's legs rather than between their ears!

I must ask, when you attended high school, did you have a course in American History and US Government? You cannot expect that those that did and passed the course can catch others up on the history of our country or our government in a thread on C-D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States%27_rights

Old 10-30-2016, 06:36 AM

524 posts, read 362,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
i miss the good old days when 1/2 the states banned gay marriage and 1/2 allowed it.

It was so much more easier to know where those kind of people lived.
omg.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
"Believing strongly in states’ rights and the extension of slavery, he found common ground with fellow-Georgian Alexander H. Stephens."

State's Rights AND the extension of slavery. The two go together in this context like ham and rye.

"Toombs had always made a powerful impression on the public with his emotive oratory, backed by a strong physical presence, but his intemperate habits and volatile personality limited his career potential."

Sounds like your buddy was the template for Donald Trump's shenanigans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Toombs
Sounds like you aren't making an argument.

What are you trying to imply?

As I said, you are using the racist demeanor and word of a single person who even though it completely conflicts with the vast amount of information that is available which shows the progression of the conflict between the states. There are numerous speeches, petitions, complaints, arguments, letters, etc... that support the problems the south was having with the North and its policies that violated not only the spirit of the Constitution, but often the letter of it (as I explained with Lincoln not being legally able to go to war with a state and Congress not giving him the authority either). This all was going on long before Stephens made his speech, long before the secession, long before any major conflict.

The Stephens argument angle is such a weak one that obviously political biased professors and unethical institutions cling to, but it is as I said not supported by any legitimate means. Basically, it would be like me pointing to Joe Biden's comments and claiming that he speaks for the entire spirit and purpose of the US.

I also find it extremely disingenuous for someone to argue the station of the south being extreme racists and then ignoring the north in its history concerning this (I can provide you numerous accounts of the general attitude the North had concerning slaves and its basic view of a slave). Nobody who has delved deep into the Civil War buys into that grammar school fairy tale and in fact, most educated black people on the subject know Lincoln and the north was not their savior. Freeing the slaves was propaganda Lincoln admitted that he would have rather done without.

Last edited by NxtGen; 10-30-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 06:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The thread is about state's rights.
And the opposite: federal purview.

Even if you don't like it.

Quote:
I have no idea what you are discussing.
Then your replying didn't make sense, especially since the comment to which you were replying contained replies to two other posters with regard to matters being discussed with them.

Quote:
State's rights have nothing to do with racism.
You're wrong, for the reasons already beaten to death in this thread, but I respect your right to claim that.

Quote:
I must ask, when you attended high school, did you have a course in American History and US Government?
Because in response to a post of mine within which I highlighted how inanely pointless it was to post such ridiculously inane questions in a thread about an actual topic, you thought it would be smart to engage in that kind of puerile conduct yourself?

The main difference between you and I is that I respect your right to claim what you claim, while you cannot even bring yourself to fathom that reasonable people disagree with you on substantial and meritorious grounds. This is the biggest failing of the rightist perspective: The inability to see their opponent's perspective. How can you effectively debate anything without understanding the rational counterpoints? Answer: You cannot.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Did they quit teaching American/US History in high school? Apparently since so few seem to have a clue about our government. We also had a required course, 1 semester, in American government. So, who are these people that are so clueless?
They don't teach what you think they should. They go rogue and insert their own bias and focuses in pushing their political view. You would be ashamed of how bad they are in their teachings. To give you just a small idea of how biased and unethical they are, I once saw the MAIN textbook for an 100 level US Government class with the title "How George W. Bush Destroyed America" in CA class list. By the way, this was when he was still president.

Regardless of how anyone might feel about him, an entire book dedicated to him in an intro to US Government class is nothing short of propaganda BS. They don't teach how our government works anymore, they program kids by complaining about their political opponents. It is a disgrace.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:18 AM

30,342 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
If your definition of intelligence is solely based on whether the person in question agrees with your own viewpoint.

The person made a claim that is factually and historically incorrect and has been debunked multiple times on this very forum. One that was invented to excuse and cover up the real reasoning behind the Civil War because southern whites found the real truth uncomfortable.
Your definition of unintelligent seems to be solely based on whether the person agrees with you and how long they've been on a forum.

The person did not make any statements that were not factual, you just don't like the truth. I created a thread that debunks all of the liberal lies about the Civil War and the "switch" in another thread. It started as a response to you, but since I went through history, and provided necessary links, it got pretty long. I highly recommend that you read it, you might actually learn something. The Dems And Slavery, Civil War, Civil Rights Act

And I see the Dems are trying to rewrite things again. Now their new battle cry is that state's rights equal racism. I swear, never in my life have I met a person so dumb as one who calls himself a liberal. Again, click that link, read the history of the Democratic party. The Dems from Andrew Jackson are the same Dems who doled out "The New Deal" and lied to black people about all of the benefits that they would get, who keep them on the figurative plantation, even to this day, because the Dems from back then are the same Dems today. The very same ones. Read the history, stop lying liberals. Your revisionist history is going down in flames because more and more people who fell for your line of horse crap are finally reading the truth. We're calling you out, just like we did back then. You will lose, again. You do not get to use black people as your political pawns, we will fight you every single step of the way.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-30-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 03:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,642,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Your definition of unintelligent seems to be solely based on whether the person agrees with you and how long they've been on a forum.

The person did not make any statements that were not factual, you just don't like the truth. I created a thread that debunks all of the liberal lies about the Civil War and the "switch" in another thread. It started as a response to you, but since I went through history, and provided necessary links, it got pretty long. I highly recommend that you read it, you might actually learn something. The Dems And Slavery, Civil War, Civil Rights Act

And I see the Dems are trying to rewrite things again. Now their new battle cry is that state's rights equal racism. I swear, never in my life have I met a person so dumb as one who calls himself a liberal. Again, click that link, read the history of the Democratic party. The Dems from Andrew Jackson are the same Dems who doled out "The New Deal" and lied to black people about all of the benefits that they would get, who keep them on the figurative plantation, even to this day, because the Dems from back then are the same Dems today. The very same ones. Read the history, stop lying liberals. Your revisionist history is going down in flames because more and more people who fell for your line of horse crap are finally reading the truth. We're calling you out, just like we did back then. You will lose, again. You do not get to use black people as your political pawns, we will fight you every single step of the way.
Reading comprehension. Do you have it? My objection was about the reasons behind the Civil War, which the person I replied to claimed were primarily economic. That is a lost cause revisionist lie. It was all about slavery, to the point where all other issues fade into insignificance. And considering your new thread is all about how the Democrats today are supposedly the same slavery loving racists as they were in the South back in the 1860s, you are actually agreeing with what I said but are too dense for that fact to sink in.

I swear, never in my life have I met a person so stupidly, willfully ignorant as one who calls himself a conservative.

And as for the states rights = racism being a liberal lie, why don't you look up what Regan's buddy and Bush I's campaign advisor Lee Atwater said on the matter? If you go to forums and sites that cater to open white supremacists, you'll also find a whole lot of comments bashing on liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections