Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A lot of people obviously like early voting, and states that don't have it are likely to move toward it.

It's much cheaper, for one thing. For another, it's simply wrong that so many people live in states where you have to stand in line for hours to cast your vote.

My suggestion for people who don't like early voting is to make sure that their states have adequate funding to provide enough polling places so that no one has to wait in line more than 30 minutes at any time on election day.
There needs to be some uniformity with early voting. How early is too early, one month, two months. Why not letting people begin to vote as soon as the parties pick their nominees? It's a slippery slope and getting more slippery every 4 years. IMO, it needs to be limited to maybe one week before the election and that's it. Early voting makes voter fraud easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm in my 60s and have been voting since I was 18. In my current state you don't declare your party when you register to vote. When you vote in the primaries they ask you if you want a Republican or Democrat ballot but I could ask for a different party ballot each year or I could be one of those voters who never votes in the primaries, just the general election. I hear there are a lot of them.
Does your state have early voting? Then whether or not you've submitted your ballot is public record. A poll could target the list of people who have already voted to find out who you've voted for. And of course you could be polled as part of a regular poll that would ask whether you've already voted, and if so, who for. Or, if you've voted early in the past, you could be targeted on that basis.

There's actually lots of ways to get at this, but they all flow from the simple fact that whether you've submitted a ballot is public record, as is where you were living when you submitted that ballot. Those records are kept from the first time you ever voted. And that really shouldn't be news to you.

There are companies whose sole business is to keep track of you. Some of them for retail marketing reasons, some of them for political reasons. And they know quite a bit about you, and can make a darn good guess as to exactly who you voted for, even if you haven't told them. But most likely, you have told them, at one point or another. And they can extrapolate your present and future behavior from that.

I'm reading an interesting book right now, https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Lab-S...he+victory+lab

Old 11-07-2016, 06:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I think all polls should be banned because I want everyone to vote like their vote will be decisive.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
In Florida one declares party affiliation when they register. It's part and parcel of having a closed primary system.

All they can tell you out of FL right now is how many R's, D's and I's have voted. They cannot tell you how (for which candidate) they have voted.

The very first results that come in from FL tomorrow night will be the early vote and the mail in votes, that will be tallied first, because they are available first.

Any trend in FL will likely show up early.

CN

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think all polls should be banned because I want everyone to vote like their vote will be decisive.
Yeah, I've said this for a while too. Polls should not be taken within one week of the election at least. People should do their home work and vote accordingly. Many people just look at the the latest poll, see who's ahead and vote for that person just because it's the easiest thing to do and they don't want to vote for someone they think will lose.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There needs to be some uniformity with early voting. How early is too early, one month, two months. Why not letting people begin to vote as soon as the parties pick their nominees? It's a slippery slope and getting more slippery every 4 years.
This is up to each state. I think that the overwhelming majority of people wouldn't want to vote too early. I suspect that as experience is gained, the time period will stabilize around 2-4 weeks, but I could be wrong. It is up to each state, after all, and I don't see that changing.

Quote:
IMO, it needs to be limited to maybe one week before the election and that's it. Early voting makes voter fraud easier.
Actually, I think early voting might make certain kinds of fraud easier to detect, simply because there's more time to check signatures and addresses, without the confusion of provisional ballots.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
And I wish that I could afford to go to Europe for 3 months. I can't, so it will never happen, but still I'm much more likely to get my wish than you are to get yours.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 AM

510 posts, read 609,569 times
They didn't say how many votes a particular party has received, they only said how many members of that party have voted. Whether or not a person voted is public record in the US, so in states with early voting you can check who has voted (not who they voted for). Party registration is also public record in most states, so you can just put those two things together.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:15 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
The goal is to make Trump supporters think they already lost, therefore there's no need for them to vote tomorrow. It's really another tactic to give Clinton the edge.
If polls don't work, early voting creates another opportunity to demoralize Republicans. That's why Dems and the press love it so much.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If polls don't work, early voting creates another opportunity to demoralize Republicans. That's why Dems and the press love it so much.
I'm a D and I like early voting because it makes voting so easy.

And I suspect that's exactly why so many Rs don't like it. Because there are more Ds than Rs in this country. And when Ds turn out - we win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections