Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because Trump loses Florida and he's toast

Clinton can lose Florida and still win.
the question is: how does anyone know how someone voted? I guess you missed that part. You are under the opinion as many are: a person always votes party line. Has it occurred to you this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:10 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockside View Post
it actually is. They're trying to create the impression of clinton's inevitability, so why bother voting if you're a trump supporter.

it's been amusing watching the msm accuse russia of interfering in the election when they've gone all out to throw the vote to hillary.

this. ^^^^^

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
LauraC,

It's going to be a tough couple of days for you and it will take a while to come to bear with the HRC presidency. All of us here on the election forums will act as a support group for you and all other republicans in your moment of hurt on Tuesday.

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The goal is to make Trump supporters think they already lost, therefore there's no need for them to vote tomorrow. It's really another tactic to give Clinton the edge.
you are right, and for me, thinking my candidate was losing would be even more reason to get out and vote. I wish they would do away with so much early voting. As a friend at church said to me yesterday: It is called election day not election month. Unless a person has a reason to vote early, we should go back to the days when we voted on election day.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:12 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
It's the country that should feel hurt, not just republicans -- Banana Republic here we come.....

Old 11-07-2016, 06:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
It's the country that should feel hurt, not just republicans -- Banana Republic here we come.....
If you want to go clothes shopping at Banana Republic by all means do, Clinton's economy can use it.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, and for me, thinking my candidate was losing would be even more reason to get out and vote. I wish they would do away with so much early voting. As a friend at church said to me yesterday: It is called election day not election month. Unless a person has a reason to vote early, we should go back to the days when we voted on election day.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What you fail to mention is that voter affiliation does not equal a vote for one candidate or another. Let's take a solid red state like Kentucky. Did you know the majority of people there are registered democrats, yet they cross party lines and almost always vote for the Republican nominee for President.
Many swing states have a large majority by far of registered democrats but people vote for who they think will make the best President, not lock step along party lines.
If all you needed to do was count party affiliation, then no Republican would ever win the Presidency. We don't even need to have elections if that were the case. All they'd have to do is look at voter registration and decide by that who wins.
That wasn't the OP's question, so I didn't address it. But it's your question, so I'll address it. There are three lines of available information that can lead the media to conclude that one candidate is likely ahead of the other.

1) In most states, the percentage of cross-over votes typically washes each other out. In states where voters frequently vote R for president, but D down-ballot, this is also a historical pattern that can be accounted for.

2) There is also an historical pattern of more Ds voting early, and more Rs waiting for Election Day. This can also be accounted for.

2) Polling - voters are asked whether they have already voted and if so, who they have voted for.

None of this is exact, obviously, so never fear, we will continue to have election night events.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
"Why Is The Media Pretending To Know Who Early Voted?"

In each and every state, whether an individual has cast a ballot is a matter of public record, as is that individual's party affiliation. This has been the case since about forever. You must be a very new voter.
I'm in my 60s and have been voting since I was 18. In my current state you don't declare your party when you register to vote. When you vote in the primaries they ask you if you want a Republican or Democrat ballot but I could ask for a different party ballot each year or I could be one of those voters who never votes in the primaries, just the general election. I hear there are a lot of them.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A lot of people obviously like early voting, and states that don't have it are likely to move toward it.

It's much cheaper, for one thing. For another, it's simply wrong that so many people live in states where you have to stand in line for hours to cast your vote.

My suggestion for people who don't like early voting is to make sure that their states have adequate funding to provide enough polling places so that no one has to wait in line more than 30 minutes at any time on election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections