Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Wow, really?

You posters above me actually have a PROBLEM with this?
Nope. I have the same problem as paperhouse. I hate being pandered to every 4 years, and then forgotten about until April 15th of every year. Also, I hate when politicians change their stance on issues directly related to me and claim that they are "new and exciting" ideas that will bring "change". Hillary has been in support of ending Federal discrimination and providing Federal benefits long before Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Pretty short history, they've only stood up against bigotry when it became popular.
Au contraire, young one. LBJ's signing of the Civil Rights Act was VERY unpopular. The Democrats haven't won the South since.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Nope. I have the same problem as paperhouse. I hate being pandered to every 4 years, and then forgotten about until April 15th of every year. Also, I hate when politicians change their stance on issues directly related to me and claim that they are "new and exciting" ideas that will bring "change". Hillary has been in support of ending Federal discrimination and providing Federal benefits long before Obama.
Out of curiosity, what does tax day have anything to do with gays?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Au contraire, young one. LBJ's signing of the Civil Rights Act was VERY unpopular. The Democrats haven't won the South since.
40 years isn't that long in the grand scheme. The bill was voted in by Republicans, but that is another thread, so I'll stop here.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
It's the day we get screwed.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
Quote:
40 years isn't that long in the grand scheme. The bill was voted in by Republicans, but that is another thread, so I'll stop here.
No sense in stopping, it was the republican party who broke through to pass all of the first civil rights bills, not the dems. The dem party has a history of when they need people they love them, when they dont need them they dump them like a rock along side the street.

Someone has their facts twisted.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Yes, it’s amazing that Republicans seem so intolerant & always behind the curve of public thinking. Bigoted, I guess & why most Americans have a bad taste when Bible Belt-types expect us to live in the 1800's.

For a Republican candidate to embrace Gay rights it becomes suicidal to their party brethren [the same people who are afraid of anything different, are racists & yet proudly say the pledge to the Flag and pretend to be Christians]. The hypocrisy has an overwhelming stench.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,036 times
Quote:
It's when I have to pay my taxes without being able to claim my partner and all the tax breaks associated with marriage. The only time gay Americans are valuable to this country is during tax season when they take our money and use it against us.

For instance, the Boy Scouts of America:
How Your Tax Dollars Support the Boy Scouts of America
The Boy Scouts Lost - Bill and Kent's Place

But, there are victories, too:
Boy Scouts evicted over Anti-Gay Bigotry

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Just another copycat off the real deal..

I wonder what will happen if obama does win the nominee? When he actually has to figure out his own answers without cheating off Hillary.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM

403 posts, read 749,016 times
I don't know why the following people have a problem with this article

paperhouse

Floridabound09
Lillietta

Quote:

BVH
Hillary Clinton 2008

Oh Goodie! Will he buy us a new Mercedes and pay for the ceremony, reception and Honeymoon too? Maybe a nice 3 bedroom in the Hamptons?
He promised to repeal DOMA. Its not giving people anything, its about removing restriction that DOMA applies.

Finally, I don't know whats so 'new' or 'unique' or 'dangerous' about this article other than the fact that Obama calls for repealing DOMA that was passed under Clinton adminstration.
He didn't promise 'special tax cuts for gays and neither did he promise them a million dollar I don't know why most of the comment give the impression that he is giving special privileges to the gays and lesbians?---------Am I reading a different article. ah?

The difference between Clinton and Obama position...

Both are aganist gay marriage. However,

Clinton doesn't support repealing the entire DOMA------hence no gay marriage right under any circumstance.

Obama doesn't support gay marriage but supports repealing DOMA entirely-----so if California has gay marriage for its citzen, other states have to respect it under the Full Faith and Credit Clause articles of the constitution. Of course he wants states to make the decision on the marriage issue, his position of repeal is frankly a indirect support for gay marriage and been a constitional lawyer he must know it. (Clever)

Political Radar: Would Obama Position Spread Same-Sex Marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections