Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Elmonellie"""Assault on traditional marriages"""

Your marriage was assaulted!! EEEK!
I'm married and there's two gay guys living down the road and they haven't assaulted us at all!!!

MY marriage is quite strong...we have no plans to divorce if gays are given equal rights under the law....do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM

775 posts, read 579,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
As to his appeal to higher educated voters....Yes, I imagine a lot of people that went to left leaning universities in this country (especially those that took a lot of "studies" courses, i.e. women's studies, african american studies) are supporting him...mindlessly.
I doubt anyone who chose those courses are mindless. They're not the majority.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Am I in the Twilight Zone?

You said it, nobody else. So I guess yes you are.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
You said it, nobody else. So I guess yes you are.
Your retorts are pretty empty.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Your retorts are pretty empty.
To you but I'm not surprised.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
As to his appeal to higher educated voters....Yes, I imagine a lot of people that went to left leaning universities in this country (especially those that took a lot of "studies" courses, i.e. women's studies, african american studies) are supporting him...mindlessly.

Thank you for your honesty.

Do you also feel the working class folks who tend to trust and believe in common sense and have strong "common sense" type values have been fooled as well? I only ask because some of the smartest folks I've ever met, never attended a college or University.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 PM

There's a difference between smart and educated. I agree that you don't have to be educated to be smart; however, that does not dismiss the knowledge you receive in college that helps you make intelligent decisions. College, if nothing else, helps you learn to think critically and gives you information to back up your statements.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
There's a difference between smart and educated. I agree that you don't have to be educated to be smart; however, that does not dismiss the knowledge you receive in college that helps you make intelligent decisions. College, if nothing else, helps you learn to think critically and gives you information to back up your statements.
I agree there's a difference between being smart and being educated. A college education is a good thing. However, there are many many people who have not gone to college and can think critically and know how to find information . Sometimes a college education doesn't exactly broaden your knowledge or your view.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM

I agree with that also but I believe few people who have not gone to college actually take the time to read extensively and delve into researching subjects. They may google and think that's sufficient (will repeat "few people"). Many just talk off the top of their heads. I am not talking about smarts; I am talking about learning to think in a way that is principally taught in college. It's pretty easy to tell here who has learned this in the way they back up their statements and in the way it is articulated. Now, some people have gone to college and it hasn't done them a damn bit of good, but I'm not talking about them.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Thank you for your honesty.

Do you also feel the working class folks who tend to trust and believe in common sense and have strong "common sense" type values have been fooled as well? I only ask because some of the smartest folks I've ever met, never attended a college or University.

Good question. Some of the smartest people I've ever met never went or dropped out of college. Most of these people did go on to become pretty successful due to smarts and hard work, so I don't guess they would still be considered working class.

I think a lot of 9 - 5 working class folks that have personal difficulties (money being the main one) are attracted to him because he is promising to lighten their load. So, (imho) their common sense is being overcome by emotionalism and greed. You don't have to be rich to be greedy. It's a common fault with humans in every station of life.

He is a talented orator. But unlike say, MLK who was motivating people to join a cause for a specific righteous and high minded purpose, Obama is motivating people to vote to get him into office to do a lot of nebulous feel good things, that, in my opinion are unreasonable. I, personally don't feel that universal healthcare is righteous and if it does happen the research and development in that field, which is fantastic in this country, is going to grind to a slow pace and the care itself will suffer. The $$$ for college and "everyone gets to go to college"...nope, that doesn't impress me as I don't think college is a right and not everyone is capable. (And before anyone says that community service to pay back....how on earth do you monitor that? Another huge bureaucrocy (sp?)?) Well...I could go on and on, but you get my drift.

I imagine his feet will be put to the fire and more specifics will have to come out as soon as Hillary gives up. With more concrete info on his plans, I think some of his "followers" may get in touch with their inner "common sense" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections