Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dems: If your candidate loses, will you vote for the other? Post a Poll
Yes 19 47.50%
No 21 52.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

I am an Obama supporter, but if he loses fair and square I will vote for Hillary. On many of the major issues they are very similar, and I don't understand Hillary or Obama supporters who will vote for McCain.

Both democrats are pro-choice, anti-War, pro-middle class and pro-gay rights. John McCain is none of this. It seems to me that people who will vote for McCain if their candidate loses are more hung up on their own pride and sense of competitiveness than what is best for their country.

The only reasons I would note vote for Hillary would be as follows:

* The superdelegates shun the will of the people and decide to back Hillary even if she loses the pledged delegate count.

* Florida and Michigan are counted even though they violated party rules (Obama even removed his name from the Michigan ballot because of this. Hillary did not even though she publicly commented not to participate).

* Hillary sues to overturn the Texas caucus results for some reason. I didn't stand in a high school cafeteria with other crotchety democrats for 2 hours to not have my vote counted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I am an Obama supporter, but if he loses fair and square I will vote for Hillary. On many of the major issues they are very similar, and I don't understand Hillary or Obama supporters who will vote for McCain.

Both democrats are pro-choice, anti-War, pro-middle class and pro-gay rights. John McCain is none of this. It seems to me that people who will vote for McCain if their candidate loses are more hung up on their own pride and sense of competitiveness than what is best for their country.

* The superdelegates shun the will of the people and decide to back Hillary even if she loses the pledged delegate count.

* Florida and Michigan are counted even though they violated party rules (Obama even removed his name from the Michigan ballot because of this. Hillary did not even though she publicly commented not to participate).

* Hillary sues to overturn the Texas caucus results for some reason. I didn't stand in a high school cafeteria with other crotchety democrats for 2 hours to not have my vote counted!
if she goes that route, she will be rejected.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Don't assume all Democrats will vote or at least will vote for who's left. One can choose not to vote or write-in a candidate. This thread is a recent repeat.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Don't assume all Democrats will vote or at least will vote for who's left. One can choose not to vote or write-in a candidate. This thread is a recent repeat.
This question obviously applies to the democrats who have a current preference between Obama and Clinton.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
They are so close on all the issues, that is why the fighting is dirty, nothing to talk about in policy.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
I would only consider voting for Hillary if she won the nomination fairly, that means winning the pledged delegate count. I don't see any way she can do that, so I voted no in the poll.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
I will not rely on the votes in the Primaries- since they are not a true indication of the Democratic candidates real strength. Any candidate who fails to carry California, New York, New Jersey, Texas and Ohio IMO is not able to win traditional Democratic constituencies.

The Super delegates will need to be prepared to make the appropriate decision.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I will not rely on the votes in the Primaries- since they are not a true indication of the Democratic candidates real strength. Any candidate who fails to carry California, New York, New Jersey, Texas and Ohio IMO is not able to win traditional Democratic constituencies.

The Super delegates will need to be prepared to make the appropriate decision.
So, in other words, the people in the 28 states Obama has won (13 for Hilliary) don't count. If super delegates are going to decide the nominee, why not dispense with the primaries?

If Hillary wins the nomination solely on the strength of super delegates the party will split apart, completely disenfranchising millions, particularly a core Democratic constituency, black voters. I find it hard to believe party regulars would allow that to happen.

BTW, according to exit polls in both Texas and Ohio, 61% of the voters feel the super delegates should go with the pledged delegate winner.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

This is just more rehashing. Obama supporters will find a way to say she cheated her way into the nomination so why bother asking the question? God forbid, people actually start seeing through him and that he is NOT what our country needs.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Yes.

If Obama loses then I will vote for Hillary Clinton without question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections