Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Ferraro, and Hillary's inaction, lose the Black vote for Hillary?
Yes, Hillary will lose much of the black vote 13 59.09%
No, I'm sure they (we) all agree with her 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times

Advertisements

The black vote is pivotal to the success of the democratic party in the general election. If Hillary Clinton is selected by the superdelegates (the only feasible way she will get the nomination), do you imagine many black voters will stay home due to the fact that Clinton did not act quickly to fire or encourage the resignation of Geraldine Ferraro after her racially charged remarks?

If so, does this whole affair land a crushing blow to Hillary's potential electability in the general election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM

144 posts, read 336,039 times
Did you see the remarks of Obama's pastor tonight..the black community will use Ferraro's remarks to flame the intensity of their support, however, if this turns into a race battle, it could very well harm Obama in the public eye.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePH View Post
Did you see the remarks of Obama's pastor tonight..the black community will use Ferraro's remarks to flame the intensity of their support, however, if this turns into a race battle, it could very well harm Obama in the public eye.
I disagree. This will not harm Obama in any way...this is what many of his supporters feared and Ferraro's comments only make it harder for Hillary to win at the Convention, let alone in November. She and her advisors have divided the Democratic Party and they will not be happy to see her in Colorado.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,316,506 times
You knew the race card would come up eventually... they jumped on it to their own advantage... just more politics.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I don't know how much damage Ferraro did since Bill Clinton had already played the race card when he brought up Jesse Jackson's campaign and some other racist innuendos.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
i think William Jefferson already lost Hillary the black vote back in SC

Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
I think it's hilarious that people are so up in arms now becuase Obama's church Pastor spoke out in his support! In 2004, members of my family were literally given "Voter Guides" by their evangelical church pastors, practically telling them they would burn in Hell if they did not vote Republican and cast their ballot for that great "moral values" candidate (puke puke) George W. Bush! What a riot. The Southern Baptist Church and other evangelical church organizations have been in bed with the Republican political party for quite a few years now! If this were such an issue of concern, their tax exempt privileges should have been yanked a LONG time ago. I recently heard Dr. James Dobson call George W. Bush the greatest "pro-life" President we have ever had. Oh, Please, spare me.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
^ montanamom now that is scary! Churches are not supposed to be political. Oh and if Dubya is pro life ( whatever that means) I would hate to see him pro death, well I think we already know how that has turned out in places like Iraq and signing the most death warrants in US history.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
The black vote is pivotal to the success of the democratic party in the general election. If Hillary Clinton is selected by the superdelegates (the only feasible way she will get the nomination), do you imagine many black voters will stay home due to the fact that Clinton did not act quickly to fire or encourage the resignation of Geraldine Ferraro after her racially charged remarks?

If so, does this whole affair land a crushing blow to Hillary's potential electability in the general election?
Truth be told, Clinton lost the Black vote for two reasons: (1) voters began to see that Obama was actually a better person with superior leadership qualities, over Clinton's win-at-any-cost politician skills; and (2) when her surrogates began using terms like "shuck and jive" and "did he sell drugs" and attempting to marginalize Obama as simply the "Black people's candidate", that pretty much sealed her fate. The Ferraro comments are merely confirmation of that decision.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Truth be told, Clinton lost the Black vote for two reasons: (1) voters began to see that Obama was actually a better person with superior leadership qualities, over Clinton's win-at-any-cost politician skills; and (2) when her surrogates began using terms like "shuck and jive" and "did he sell drugs" and attempting to marginalize Obama as simply the "Black people's candidate", that pretty much sealed her fate. The Ferraro comments are merely confirmation of that decision.
I agree. And once the black vote was lost, Hillary wrote it off as unecessary, and decided it was OK to shore up the white vote at its expense. That's why you will see more of this from Hillary and surrogates. If they get Obama to react, that's just more bonus for Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections