Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the bigger advantage for someone who hopes to be president: Being a black man or the wife of
Being a black man is obviously more advantageous 16 38.10%
Being the wife of a former U.S. president provides more advantages 17 40.48%
Both have it great in this country 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times

Advertisements

It has become acceptable for many Clinton supporters to echo the sentiments of Geraldine Ferraro, whose words suggest that Barack Obama wouldn't have come this close to the presidency if he were born white or female.

One only needs to travel the posh, wisteria-lined boulevards of Detroit or North Philadelphia to discover all of the undue advantages that are afforded black men in the United States. However, what about the less obvious advantages that come with being the wife of a popular, two-term president of the United States?

The question of the day is this: Is Obama's status of a black man in America more of an advantage in life, and in becoming president, than Clinton's status as a former first lady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
both are very sharp and competent. i dont think either are losers by any means.
obama presents very well. hillary is definitely not a front office girl though brillant in the behind
the scenes. time for the democrats to fall back and punt.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Well, a lot of black men have run for president and lost. How many wives of presidents even entered politics? So its hard to say anything that has any level of credibility.

Maybe neither one is an unfair advantage! Now, that makes sense!!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Black man has to prove his worth; which obama has done with a law professorship.

Hillbilly seems to think she can coast along on Billy's coattail.

Obama needed to prove to the blacks that he wasnt too white (80% black vote), now he needs to convince the whites that he s NOT too black (25% ?)

HillBilly just gains votes because of who she is; Obama has to work for his votes

Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
It's interesting that people consider being partially of African American descent an advantage in Barack Obama's run for the White House. It was not that long ago that it would have been considered an insurmountable obstacle!

I don't think most of Obama's supporters see his color, it's a shame those opposed to him keep trying to make such a huge issue out of it. Yes, he won Mississippi. That was expected. But Iowa? Sorry, it's NOT just a "race" thing this time out. I'm in freakin' Montana for God's sakes - everyone I know is excited about Obama's campaign. And no, we're not a bunch of clueless young people! Most of us are middle aged and raising our own "youth". And as far as the good old white boy politicians? We've had ENOUGH thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's interesting that people consider being partially of African American descent an advantage in Barack Obama's run for the White House. It was not that long ago that it would have been considered an insurmountable obstacle!
I guess white women get a pass on bigotry, because last I checked you'd be hard pressed to find any African American who would agree with the sentiment that it is "an advantage" in any way, shape or form. How do you explain 70% to 27% of WHITE MEN in Mississippi going for Clinton? You really think they are swayed by her experience and platform?

I am thankful that threads like this, along with G. Ferraro's comments are finally coming to light. They can only help things in the future... IMO it is a discussion that needs to happen, when all the cards are laid down we can determine whether these are bigoted sentiments or not.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,335 times
I said being a Black man, because you have quite a sizeable group of Whites who feel compelled to vote for a Black man in order to prove to themselves that they aren't "racist".

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM

116 posts, read 436,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I said being a Black man, because you have quite a sizeable group of Whites who feel compelled to vote for a Black man in order to prove to themselves that they aren't "racist".
EXACTLY RIGHT! People are voting for Obama because he makes them feel right. He is a black man who is not scary like Jessie Jackson who would seem white to a blind man. He is the perfect feel good trail blazer for an America who feels we need to prop up the minorities.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
EXACTLY RIGHT! People are voting for Obama because he makes them feel right. He is a black man who is not scary like Jessie Jackson who would seem white to a blind man. He is the perfect feel good trail blazer for an America who feels we need to prop up the minorities.
Interesting.
It seems that based on demographics alone, America does not feel they have to prop up minorities. In fact, I would venture, America feels, it's minorities are well qualified to handle the same responsibilities as any other group with the same level of competency they see in themselves. If you recall, the highest membership of the NAACP is white women. As minorities, women are well represented by the vote, as have been all demographics thus far. The comments coming to light today are another milestone in which we can address the proper way to conduct ourselves when dealing with issues or statements which demean a persons character based on skin color. An idiot is an idiot. And funny people are funny...who cares what they look like?

Last edited by walidm; 03-12-2008 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: forgot a comma

Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
What has shifted so much that white americans are compelled to vote for a black man in order to "prove to themselves they aren't racist?" Why didn't these white people vote in large numbers for the other black candidates that have run in the past? Did they not feel compelled to prove they weren't racist then, but now they do? Or perhaps, these white people actually like the candidate choice they have now, and they didn't like the black choices they had previously? No, that couldn't be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections