Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times

Advertisements

Obama's lead has widen as a result of his win in Mississippi and his caucus win in Texas. Obama got more delegates out of Texas than Hillary did.

results in Mississippi

OBAMA - 61%
Hillary - 37%

in Texas:

"Clinton beat Obama 51 percent to 47 percent in the Texas primary that was also held on March 4, but Obama won the majority of the 228 Texas delegates due to his caucus win"

After Obama's victories here are the total delegate counts:

OBAMA - 1,608
Hillary - 1,478

Obama increases lead in delegate count - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Another thing....Hillary is making the case that because shes winning the big states, shes more electable....but if you take a look at the big states that shes winning, her case doesnt hold water. California, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are going to vote for a democrat regardless of whether its Hillary or Obama so her primary wins in those states mean nothing. The thinking is "as long as we get the northeast and California". Its the typical northeast and big state election strategy which has failed the democrats in 2000 and in 2004. Thats not how Bill Clinton won in 1992. Hillary won the Texas primary but thats a solid republican state that wont be going blue this year in the general election. She won the Ohio and Florida primaries but so did John Kerry and he still lost those states in the general election. The 2004 electorial map will look the same in 2008 if Hillary is the nominee. My bet is that she wouldnt win as many states as John Kerry won in the 2004 election. If you look at Obama's campaign, how he runs it and how enthusiastic people are about him and his message of change, its VERY similar to the campaign that won the democrats the election in 1992. Ironically it was Bill Clinton. Obama is not focusing on the "northeast" "big state" win strategy. He is focusing on the "across the board" strategy that won the democrats the white house in 1992.

Last edited by gsoboi; 03-12-2008 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 PM

71 posts, read 208,401 times
Hillary was always going to win Ohio it seemed like, but what's gone on in the TX caucus and the two primaries since really makes me wonder just how big an effect Limbaugh had in the TX primaries. There are plenty of reports of a LOT of Limbaugh listeners going out for Hillary.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
Hillary was always going to win Ohio it seemed like, but what's gone on in the TX caucus and the two primaries since really makes me wonder just how big an effect Limbaugh had in the TX primaries. There are plenty of reports of a LOT of Limbaugh listeners going out for Hillary.
I know what you mean...it water downs Hillary's support. It would be interesting to see how many people that voted for her who wants her to win the nomination so she would lose against John McCain.....a few people on this forum have even said thats the only reason they are voting for Hillary.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,120 times
I had to laugh when I saw the totals for Obama slamming Hillbilly because I recall on the night of the Mississippi primary the Fox News panel suggested that "Hillary could surprise a lot of people with her better than expected showing tonight". I think it was Juan Williams who made that remark. What idiot. The media is all for having this drag out in the name of ratings.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times
I was really happy as well with the 61% win in MS. I heard the same thing about her numbers were predicted to be closer in MS. I'm so glad we ended on a very positive note and in a strong way for Obama before these grueling six weeks heading to Pennsylvania. It's going to seem like six months. Does anyone know if the Pennsylvania primary is open to only Democratic voters? You always worry about those Independents who are actually McCain supporters voting for Hillary. They even know who has the better chance at beating Hillbilly.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I had to laugh when I saw the totals for Obama slamming Hillbilly because I recall on the night of the Mississippi primary the Fox News panel suggested that "Hillary could surprise a lot of people with her better than expected showing tonight". I think it was Juan Williams who made that remark. What idiot. The media is all for having this drag out in the name of ratings.
Juan Williams is obviously a staunch Hillary supporter.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
And Limbaugh doubtfully really has changed and wants Hillary as president. He's backing Hillary, along with Ann Coulter because they both know Hillary could be easily beat by McCain.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 PM

71 posts, read 208,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Limbaugh doubtfully really has changed and wants Hillary as president. He's backing Hillary, along with Ann Coulter because they both know Hillary could be easily beat by McCain.
Of course, just commenting on his "Operation Chaos" and how it just may have worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections