Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Honestly I didn't want to vote in either the 2012 or the 2016 election. More so in the 2016 election I personally wanted to stay home in the 2016 election. My parents and co-workers kinda pushed me vote in the last election. Telling me how important it was to vote and how Trump was unfit for office. So I voted at the last minute for Hillary although I personally just wanted to stay home in that election. As for the 2012 election I felt Obama needed a second chance because whether you were Republican or Democrat you couldn't undo the mess he inherited like the terrible economy ,and 2 wars in just 4 years. So I decided to give him a chance instead of staying home ,and voted for him again.
Well I appreciate your candor.

Something very interesting you said about 2012 intrigues me. I think just about anyone would have won against McCain because Bush had left us in a bad spot.
Not all of it was his fault, as frankly a large portion of our economic problems stemmed from Democrats in Congress allowing the thieves to create toxic mortgages (under the guise of backed "securities" that turned out to be worthless) at Fannie May and Freddie Mac.
Once the *** was up with the ensuing housing bubble bursting, and idiots like Barney Frank (D) denied any responsibility. This despite several warnings from Bush & Co, all on youtube for people to see the warnings, and Frank saying it was smooth sailing ahead(all the while heading toward an iceberg).
But I digress.
So yes, you voting for the opposite party of Bush in 2008 is understandable.
Yet, if Obama had campaigned in 2008 by saying I will not be able to fix the country in just one term, would you still have voted for him?

I know that I do not vote based on two terms, only one. If the guy proves himself after one term, I consider voting for him again. But if anyone ran saying I cannot fix XYZ in the one 4 year term I am running for, he is not the man for the job.
As it turns out, Obama was a bust, because he did not have the pragmatism or leadership skills of a Bill Clinton or a Ronald Reagan.
The same is true of leaders like JFK, Nixon, or LBJ. Those presidents had the ability to lead by give and take, arm twisting, etc.. Thus they put the countries best interests above party ideology. That is something Obama just didn't have in him.

I'd like to think that Trump can continue to turn around the economy and get some of his agenda items done. If he can, he will certainly be in a good position to get re-elected. He must fight against the intransigence of the Democrats, and even some of the swamp denizens on the Republican side as well.
If he can overcome the aforementioned and get some of the swamp drained, people from both sides of the ideological spectrum might vote for him again.
If not, he will lose in 2020 because no one should be able to run based on not being able to make the country better in the 4 years they were elected to perform in.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
1972: McGovern, not a winner. I can't remember most of the elections anymore, the specifics and am too lazy to look it up this morning, but I did vote Democratic until 2008 and 2012 when I voted 3rd party. Funny thing is, I would have voted for Hillary in 2008 but not in 2016. Of course, I voted for the winner in 2016, President Trump! I got much more serious about how I was voting in this century than in the last. I grew up in an home and area that voted Democratic, but then again, this was the President Kennedy Democrat - "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.", not the modern Democrat "We want free college, free childcare, free healthcare,........" (in short, taxpayers to pick up the tab for our expenses).

Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
I have voted in 8, my track record is 5-3. Like many others, I have voted for candidates from both parties.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
1972: McGovern, not a winner. I can't remember most of the elections anymore, the specifics and am too lazy to look it up this morning, but I did vote Democratic until 2008 and 2012 when I voted 3rd party. Funny thing is, I would have voted for Hillary in 2008 but not in 2016. Of course, I voted for the winner in 2016, President Trump! I got much more serious about how I was voting in this century than in the last. I grew up in an home and area that voted Democratic, but then again, this was the President Kennedy Democrat - "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.", not the modern Democrat "We want free college, free childcare, free healthcare,........" (in short, taxpayers to pick up the tab for our expenses).
Kennedy would be drummed out of today's Democrat Party as a racist.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:49 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
I've voted in four - my record is 2-2 including a third party throwaway in 2004.

I'm 2-1 (for the winner to represent his/her party, not necessarily to win it all) in primary elections. I'll let you all guess who I voted for and in which party.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
I've voted in six, and I'm 0-6, I keep voting for myself, maybe one day I will get 2 votes!

Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
I've never voted in a U.S. presidential election.

I have voted in 10 elections for party-nominated slates of presidential electors (neener, neener ).

I'm 7 and 3 in those elections.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Voted Perot twice.. the country lost .. three last elections, two losses and one win.. Trump.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Bush, ?, Obama, Obama, Clinton

I considered myself a Republican growing up (never voted for Democrats locally, in NYC), but don't remember if I voted for Bush a second time. I probably would have voted Republican again in 2008, but could not get behind Palin for VP... now if it were Romney/Ryan in 08, I would have voted for them instead of Obama/Biden.

However, by 2012, everything seemed a lot better than 2008, so I voted to stay the course. In 2016, there was no way I was going to vote for Trump, and watching the GOP turn into the party of Trump was the final push I needed to leave.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-22-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I turned 21 in 1962. I voted in most (but not all) presidential elections since then.
I do not remember who I voted for, except that I have never voted for a clinton, and did not vote for obama. Twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections