Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

The 24-hour wall to wall coverage of two statements made by Barack Obama's former pastor is eerily similar to the "Dean Scream" in my eyes. But this time, instead of amplifying and repeating an empassioned call for support by a candidate, the media is repeating statements that the candidate did not even say--and even renounced.

In the past two elections, the US media have provided a lot of coverage to the most populist, iconoclastic candidates--first it is neutral, and then it turns sour. We have to remember that CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC and the rest of the large media organizations are all owned and run by the rich and powerful, and that a Dean or Obama presidency would be against their best interests.

Will the US public fall for the media's new "Dean Scream?" If we do, perhaps we will get what we deserve.

"Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I doubt these types of events turn any supporters into opponents. I think those who oppose a candidate "amp up" these events, and then the bickering (and worse) starts.

But, I doubt if the impact on votes (switching candidates) exceeds 1% of the primary voters.

Any posters switch support due to this?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
The 24-hour wall to wall coverage of two statements made by Barack Obama's former pastor is eerily similar to the "Dean Scream" in my eyes. But this time, instead of amplifying and repeating an empassioned call for support by a candidate, the media is repeating statements that the candidate did not even say--and even renounced.

In the past two elections, the US media have provided a lot of coverage to the most populist, iconoclastic candidates--first it is neutral, and then it turns sour. We have to remember that CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC and the rest of the large media organizations are all owned and run by the rich and powerful, and that a Dean or Obama presidency would be against their best interests.

Will the US public fall for the media's new "Dean Scream?" If we do, perhaps we will get what we deserve.

"Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush
Dean's scream exposed him as an emotional child. Obama's 20-year relationship and apparent faith in Reverend Wright and his message of hatred and racism exposes him as a person with poor judgement.

One does not need to be rich and poowerful to understand these things.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:42 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Well, Dean was a lot farther away from locking up the nomination... as far as timing goes, the Wright controversy has occurred at possibly the most opportune time for Obama -- too late to allow Hillary to catch up on the delegates, and during one of the longer gaps between primaries. The media can't stay on one story for more than a week or so, much less the over 30 days until the PA primary. Something else will come up before then. Obama is wise to let it play out now, only to have it eclipsed by the economy or who-knows-what.

I'm not saying it will go away completely, it's baggage will follow him to the general election. And really, it should. I consider it a result of the political positioning he had to employ to succeed in the Chicago and Illinois enivornment, and not reflective of his judgement. But that's just me. Others may well feel differently. In the end, whether it's Hillary or Obama they will have their share of old-news baggage... Obama's controversial preacher or Hillary's shady financing (Norman Hsu et al). McCain will have his opportunities either way. Everything is dynamic though, and we'll be talking about a new set of issues/controversies come November.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Dean's scream exposed him as an emotional child. Obama's 20-year relationship and apparent faith in Reverend Wright and his message of hatred and racism exposes him as a person with poor judgement.

One does not need to be rich and poowerful to understand these things.

YouTube - The "Dean Scream" with context

It looks to me that Dean had only matched the enthusiasm of the crowd.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I doubt these types of events turn any supporters into opponents. I think those who oppose a candidate "amp up" these events, and then the bickering (and worse) starts.

But, I doubt if the impact on votes (switching candidates) exceeds 1% of the primary voters.

Any posters switch support due to this?
I agree. Dean was going to get the party's candidacy and the 'scream' thing was just poking fun at him. Same with Obama. I can't imagine this will make any difference.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
I think the Rev Wright/Obama story is akin to Kerry being "swiftboated". I predict he is done. It would have been even sweeter had he obtained the nomination and this racists' ranting come out in the general election.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,296 times
as long as he s no longer the muslim, then all is good LOL

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
What "Wright" controversy? I don't hear anyone talking about it but the people on this forum.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
What "Wright" controversy? I don't hear anyone talking about it but the people on this forum.
I guess you don't watch the cable news, the network news, read the papers, listen to talk radio, peep in on the internet (like youtube). It is all over the place. You can put a fork in him - he is done.

Quote:
The 24-hour wall to wall coverage of two statements made by Barack Obama's former pastor
I guess you haven't listened to the tapes either. More than 2 statements, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections