Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I agree. Your thoughts reflect much of what I was thinking as I read the speech. And I do think it's important to READ the speech and not rely on the fact that Obama is an excellent orator who can make ordinary words sound eloquent.

My critique -- Less is more, Obama. When he waxed poetic about what he thought white people feel, when he compared his grandmother to Jeremiah Wright, he provided more fuel for the fire. He should have stuck to the issue at hand -- Wright, his incendiary sermons, and that church. This was the REASON he was standing there making a speech.

Instead, he decided that he couldn't disavow Wright without going off on white people, too -- especially his grandmother. Mark my words, in the coming days, this is going to be picked up and played with among the pundits. It was a big mistake.

Obama HAD to address the Wright controversy but he decided to turn this into a "Racial State of the Union." Perhaps, since all eyes were on him, he thought he could kill two birds with one stone -- put to rest the Wright outrage and look like a president giving a major address to his people. IMO, this wasn't a smart move. The people who were most offended by Wright's remarks would NOT be assuaged by criticizing the comments, yes, but also saying in so many words that they were justified and excusable.

Amen my brandy swilling compadre! This will bite him tomorrow after the fog clears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,189 times
[quote=pghquest;3176759]Someone who has at least accomplished something in their life.

Ok once again - who?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

[quote=pghquest;3176875]But it does have everything to do with reality.

And lets stop pretending that its impossible to get ahead. Black females have had it harder then most but you dont see them hanging out on the street corners selling drugs, or turning to illegal activities to survive.

Huh? So no black women, along with white women do this? No black prostitutes? No black women, as well as white women, on drugs?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,636 times
I am awed and humbled by this great speech!

This guy turned something so negative into one of the most inspiring speeches I've heard in my life.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
FYI, it's spelled "speech." And he didn't use a spEEch writer.
Doesnt change the argument that I want someone who's accomplished SOMETHING as president.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
To me, there is a huge difference between a "black agenda" and black issues. One can as Obama has demonstrated talk about issues that face individuals all across this country without being accused of a black agenda. Granted lately you are correct, he is starting to be accused of having an agenda but I question who is making those accusations? Surely one cant accuse the right of making them..
Huh? What is a black agenda? What is a white agenda? Those that state this need to give specifics.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 PM

[quote=Lillietta;3178325]
Quote:
Someone who has at least accomplished something in their life.

Ok once again - who?
My dear if I knew that, I'd be a politician running and name them as my vp candidate. All 3 in the top list are unqualified and depending on the candidates, I'll be voting against a candidate this year rather then for one.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Huh? What is a black agenda? What is a white agenda? Those that state this need to give specifics.
Try to follow the thread because I didnt call it a black agenda. For the record listen to the "Reverend" Jessie Jackson and then Obama. You'll learn quick what the difference is.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM

I didn't say you did. I was speaking to the issue of a black agenda. I know well the difference between Jackson and Obama and Obama is nothing like Jackson which would mean, if people have an image of a so-called black agenda for Jackson, then they certainly cannot accuse Obama of having one.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Quote:
But it does have everything to do with reality.

And lets stop pretending that its impossible to get ahead. Black females have had it harder then most but you dont see them hanging out on the street corners selling drugs, or turning to illegal activities to survive.
Huh? So no black women, along with white women do this? No black prostitutes? No black women, as well as white women, on drugs?
Quit taking the problems the minority of the minority have and blanketing all minorities in the same light. Your doing very little to help your argument by painting all women as drug attics or prostitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections