Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,460 times

Advertisements

Have all or most of the elections generated this much bitterness and hatred between parties or even between members of the same party? If so, which one stands out in your mind as the most divisive or vicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,943 times
The first election I can remember with much real clarity was Carter/Reagan. So, no I cannot remember anything this wild. I'm interested in what more mature posters will have to say.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
1968. A Candidate being assassinated during the primary is a bit radical.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Have all or most of the elections generated this much bitterness and hatred between parties or even between members of the same party? If so, which one stands out in your mind as the most divisive or vicious?
Nothing in my memory. I'm 43 years old. If you think this is bad, wait until the Repubs. enter the equation!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Yeah, I bet that threw a few problems into the mix.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times
Skye
When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s we were divided by war, by corruption, by cynicism and by race and gender. You are now seeing the teenagers who stood on both sides of the lines, now grown men and women in power. Maybe now that there is power behind the rhetoric, change can be achieved.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:49 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
As someone in his 50's, things are clearly more partisan. It really started more in Congress and spilled over into the presidential elections in the late 90's.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Take a gander at the political history of the U.S. This is really quite civil compared to the early years of this country.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Yes, 1968 was definitely a more "spirited" contest. It had everything: riots at the Chicago Dem convention, a sitting president (LBJ) dropping out, an angry 3rd party (Wallace), and an assasination of probably the best candidate from either party.

I didn't like Bobby Kennedy at all back then, but in the years since I've come to admire what he intended for the country.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Wow, does that bring back memories.

I was in the infantry in Vietnam, and I can remember so clearly coming in one sunny spring morning in early April from an all-night ambush patrol. I remember the soft sandy soil of the village just northwest of Saigon where we had set up our company perimeter. I remember the faces of the villagers we had befriended, and with many of whom we had grown close in the months since the terrible Tet offensive that had decimated their families. I remember most of all that I was the only caucasian on that patrol (there were six of us). Word had already spread from "the world" (America)that Martin Luther King had been murdered in Memphis. My last memories of that day were the stricken faces and slumped shoulders of my five black platoon mates. For a while, nobody said anything. Nobody could. They just put down their packs and weapons, joined the other black guys in the platoon in quiet conversations, and faded out of sight as the morning turned into day and we all sought to sleep for a few hours.

Jump ahead a couple of months, and we had a replay. We came in from another ambush, in the red-clay country near the Cambodian border this time, and were met by our buddies with the news that it was Bobby Kennedy who had been shot down this time -- back in "the world."

It was with a feeling of total desolation, compounded of our surroundings in the death-smelling part of Vietnam that we had been fighting over for the past couple of weeks and our feeling that things back home were no better than they were here, that we set down our heavy packs, our ammo belts, our claymore bags, our rucksacks, and our weapons.

"World is f*cked up just like here, dude, " one of my black friends finally told me. Then he added something that haunts me to this day: "Now you hurt like we do."

1968. Bad year. I've never seen one worse. The current bickering is as nothing compared to that miserable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections