Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times

Advertisements

Just heard this guy interviewed on the radio today about his current book, More Great News for America, a sequel to Great News for America. Gerard Lameiro, PhD, uses a different form of research he calls modeling. He explained other pollsters use techniques which are outdated. I only caught the last part of his interview though. He predicted Trump's win before anyone else and after the election he heard from his fellow pollsters, his competition, who said, "You were right, we were wrong." Makes me wonder if Trump's people were working with him or using his techniques.

He said there would be no blue wave. We shall see! This is his website
Gerard Lameiro PhD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Boy, someone better tell that to the people of NJ, VA, AL, and PA. Maybe they can cast their ballots again for the red team.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
While still too far out to say whether there will be a wave or not for the Dems, if the election were held today I'd agree with the pollster. To win the seats necessary to take back the house, the Dems need to win over competitive to conservative districts. While they were able to do so in PA last week with a pro-Trump, pro-tariffs, pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment Democrat, the Democrat base in a lot of the other districts they'd need to take back the House is far more leftist, which would spell trouble in many a general election campaign.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While still too far out to say whether there will be a wave or not for the Dems, if the election were held today I'd agree with the pollster. To win the seats necessary to take back the house, the Dems need to win over competitive to conservative districts. While they were able to do so in PA last week with a pro-Trump, pro-tariffs, pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment Democrat, the Democrat base in a lot of the other districts they'd need to take back the House is far more leftist, which would spell trouble in many a general election campaign.
1. People on the left are the ones who tend to support tarriffs , Republicans support free trade to an extent that they don't think you should use tarriffs

2. Lamb said he was personally pro life, but supported the right to choose from a legal stand point, that is in line with the views of every single Democrat I have ever met .

3. Lamb supported President Obama and the democartic partys current stance on background checks

In short, you have a cartoonish belief of what a Democrat is , and because of it, you do not have an informed opinion.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Find me the idiot voter who thought Lamb was pro-Trump? Especially after Trump personally travelled to the district to campaign with the R candidate...

The house will be won and lost in suburban districts. At the current moment those tend to be moving towards Ds. Lamb won by running up big totals in Allegheny suburbs not by mysteriously flipping the rural areas. And that Ga house seat in the Atlanta suburbs that Ds lost earlier had swung towards Ds in double digits. Whether or not they win enough seats comes down to election day but if they get enough candidates who are passable the district constituencies and spike adequate anti-Trump voters they will have big gains.

FWIW- every frickin pollster out there does modeling. You can say some do it better or worse than others but that is a basic part of what they do- collect raw data, break responses down into key demographic groups, produce a model of who will vote and weigh the demographic results to fit the overall proportion. Its why the likely voter results are so much more scrutinized than eligible voters.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. People on the left are the ones who tend to support tarriffs , Republicans support free trade to an extent that they don't think you should use tarriffs

2. Lamb said he was personally pro life, but supported the right to choose from a legal stand point, that is in line with the views of every single Democrat I have ever met .

3. Lamb supported President Obama and the democartic partys current stance on background checks

In short, you have a cartoonish belief of what a Democrat is , and because of it, you do not have an informed opinion.
1) Traditionally, yes. But many Democrat nominees have been the corporate/globalist type as of late, which has allowed President Trump to initiate sort of a role reversal.

2) I know many a Democrat who refuses to answer whether they are "personally" pro-life as they deem it irrelevant and, well, aren't personally pro-life. Still, me and others feel there is a difference: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/o...etType=opinion

3) While the NRA and others oppose "universal background checks" without addressing the actual problem, Lamb's overall 2nd Amendment stance remains far outside of the Dem mainstream position; he does not support new restrictions on guns. Thus, I merely reiterate my point. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ports-gun-rig/ ; https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/polit...ues/index.html

In short, failing to discuss and seeking to parse out points that you disagree with, your absolutist views/statement on what posters think are shortsighted and easily rebutted.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,670 times
There's one thing I'll give the Republicans credit for.... They are good at coming up with lame excuses for losing special elections....

Oh, the losing Republican candidate(s) didn't campaign hard enough, didn't go all in with Trump, is tainted, is weak, has a p-rn stache, etc....

Let's not forget what Conor Lamb campaigned for, shall we?

1. For universal healthcare
2. Against Trump's tax cut
3. For expanded background checks
4. For stronger unions
5. Against cuts to Social Security
6. For women's right to choose (even if he may disagree)
7. For medical marijuana

That sounds like a Democrat in my book.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

99,585 posts, read 4,493,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Just heard this guy interviewed on the radio today about his current book, More Great News for America, a sequel to Great News for America. Gerard Lameiro, PhD, uses a different form of research he calls modeling. He explained other pollsters use techniques which are outdated. I only caught the last part of his interview though. He predicted Trump's win before anyone else and after the election he heard from his fellow pollsters, his competition, who said, "You were right, we were wrong." Makes me wonder if Trump's people were working with him or using his techniques.

He said there would be no blue wave. We shall see! This is his website
Gerard Lameiro PhD

I wonder how he did in 2012. I suspect he followed Dick Morris' "model" and predicted a Romney landslide.

One of his current predictions: predicts the "end (the complete shutdown!) of the Democratic Party in the near future".

He also predicts the coming of an era of conservative enlightenment that includes four big religious and cultural trends in America:
  • Return to faith in God
  • Renaissance of reason
  • Restoration of education
  • Rebirth of morality, freedom, peace and prosperity

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Of course there won’t be a blue wave. Democrats will win some seats here and there but a blue wave is not likely

Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM

900 posts, read 375,821 times
there will be no blue wave, the Democrats have regained some state governments, and conquered the house, as traditionally happens during election cycles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections