Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

I usually don't find much in common with David Brooks, but I was especially impressed today by his take on the democratic nomination and how Hillary is slowly ruining this country's chances for progress by staying in a race she will lose (The Long Defeat - New York Times). Here are some excerpts:

Quote:
Last week, an important Clinton adviser told Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen (also of Politico) that Clinton had no more than a 10 percent chance of getting the nomination. Now, she’s probably down to a 5 percent chance.....

....Let’s take a look at what she’s going to put her party through for the sake of that 5 percent chance: The Democratic Party is probably going to have to endure another three months of daily sniping....

....Meanwhile, on the other side, voters get an unobstructed view of the Republican nominee. John McCain’s approval ratings have soared 11 points....

....For three more months, Clinton is likely to hurt Obama even more against McCain, without hurting him against herself. And all this is happening so she can preserve that 5 percent chance.

When you step back and think about it, she is amazing. She possesses the audacity of hopelessness.

Why does she go on like this? Does Clinton privately believe that Obama is so incompetent that only she can deliver the policies they both support? Is she simply selfish, and willing to put her party through agony for the sake of her slender chance? Are leading Democrats so narcissistic that they would create bitter stagnation even if they were granted one-party rule?
Hillary, for the good of this nation, drop out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I usually don't find much in common with David Brooks, but I was especially impressed today by his take on the democratic nomination and how Hillary is slowly ruining this country's chances for progress by staying in a race she will lose (The Long Defeat - New York Times). Here are some excerpts:

Hillary, for the good of this nation, drop out!!
If you count Florida and Michigan Hillary could get the popular vote. And she's won the big states. I say it's 50/50 she gets the nomination even if Obama doesn't implode. Don't count her out until the stake is in the heart.

And even better, she gets to show expose the real hypocrisy in the democratic party!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I'm hoping Barack Obama gets the nomination, but I certainly don't blame Hillary Clinton for not dropping out at this point. Why should she? She has put a lot of time and effort into this, and her supporters are as passionate about her candidacy as we are of Obama's. It's still way too close to call. If Obama gets the nomination, I want it to be fair and square, and decided by the people. Ultimately, the nominee needs to be the clear winner. Otherwise, the Democratics will remain bitterly divided I'm afraid, and that does us no good going into the general election.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I'm hoping Barack Obama gets the nomination, but I certainly don't blame Hillary Clinton for not dropping out at this point. Why should she? She has put a lot of time and effort into this, and her supporters are as passionate about her candidacy as we are of Obama's. It's still way too close to call. If Obama gets the nomination, I want it to be fair and square, and decided by the people. Ultimately, the nominee needs to be the clear winner. Otherwise, the Democratics will remain bitterly divided I'm afraid, and that does us no good going into the general election.
I think she has every right to stay in the race, and her supporters would go nuts if she quit. To me, it's not so much a matter of if she stays in, but how she continues to stay in. This "kitchen sink" strategy is hurting her party and her reputation. I used to have a lot more respect for her than I currently do. I'd probably vote for her still, but might just sit this one out if she gets the nomination through shady tactics. Of all the possible Republicans, McCain is one of the most sane and centrist ones out there (He's just a bit old and forgetful).

Hillary can stay in as long as she wants, but she should keep in mind whether or not she is hurting the Democratic Party in the process.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Nice title for a thread...Yes, hopeless indeed....on so many levels....

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

21 posts, read 19,182 times
people who say it's close have been listening to the media too much. have you seen the numbers? every state post-Pennsylvania would have to be a blowout, and you know that's not going to happen. i predict after may 6 Hillary will either go quietly, or be pushed out the door.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
She may not be leading but he hasn't won the nomination and probably won't untill the convention.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
people who say it's close have been listeningg to the media to much. have you seen the numbers? every state post-Pennsylvania would have to be a blowout, and you know that's not going to happen. i predict after may 6 Hillary will either go quietly, or be pushed out the door.
I'd agree with that. The numbers will be undeniable after May 6. The question is: how damaged is she willing to leave the Democratic nominee (Obama) in her more and more hopeless attempt to get the nod?

She seems to be getting more viscous as this race goes on.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The numbers will be undeniable after May 6.
It the democrats we're talking about. These numbers are more than just meaningless but when the doors to the convention close, it's all delegates and they'll decide. . . not the voters.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I can't wait for the Usual Suspects to show up and tell us what a dirty rotten skunk that Davie Brooks is, and how he beats his children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections