Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:18 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times

Advertisements

Hillary said, yesterday, she will stay in the race until the last delegate has cast their vote.

Thoughts?

I find this troubling - what sense does it make to continue fighting a losing battle, till the end, leaving no time for a focused Dem nominee to campaign against the Republicans.

Can the Democratic Party actually step in and do anything here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I refuse to get in the debate of who should drop out and why. But I imagine that if the entire (or almost the entire) leadership of the DNC unified and called for a candidate to withdraw from the race for the good of the party, that candidate would, to refuse to do so would destroy his or her political future.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
I think the numbers will look very grim for her after May 6th, and hopeless in early June. The superdelgates will speak up at that time and her media attention will start to dry up (for the most part, at least). She can't say anything else because then she would definitely lose support - especially with the people who are paying for her campaign. All candidates say they are in it for the long haul, right up to the day they quit the race. John Edwards was saying that right up to the end of his campaign.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Hillary said, yesterday, she will stay in the race until the last delegate has cast their vote.

Thoughts?

I find this troubling - what sense does it make to continue fighting a losing battle, till the end, leaving no time for a focused Dem nominee to campaign against the Republicans.

Can the Democratic Party actually step in and do anything here?
I wonder if this is similar to her Iraq war vote.. She voted to stay in the race, before she voted to withdraw, before she stayed in....

Well to give her credit this is one thing that she's been consistant on.. Vote for me because I'm female.. Not that black guy..

I'm not so sure for her that its a losing battle. I expect her to somehow take the super delegates. I wonder if she can come up with any more dirt against Obama because the food fight going on is humorous.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
I don't think it's fair to ask any candidate to withdraw when it's so close and there are still states who have not held their primaries. Why do our votes not seem to matter to those of you who have voted already? You do not know what those votes will actually reveal regardless of what the polls tell you. We deserve to have our vote counted as much as any other state.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
She has every right to stay in the race. Technically Gravel is still in it. What people are concerned about is her and her campaign's behavior while she is in the race. Her strategy seems to be to try and tear down her fellow Democrat with any means necessary. It is starting to backfire on her and the Democratic party as a whole. She can stay in the race all she wants. She should just be able to do it with some grace and dignity while not tearing down the other candidate (with whom she will have to work with in the future - either as President or as Senator).

Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
I think she should stay in till the end and when she finally wins it, Obama should run as a third party candidate.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
I love the constant crys for Hillary to quit. Obama supporters sound a little worried.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
That is my concern when it comes to both candidates. As a party we need to be able to unite behind a single candidate if we are going to beat McCain. This cannot be done if one candidate so destroys the other during the nomination process that we simply hand victory over to the Republicans.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
That is my concern when it comes to both candidates. As a party we need to be able to unite behind a single candidate if we are going to beat McCain. This cannot be done if one candidate so destroys the other during the nomination process that we simply hand victory over to the Republicans.
According to another poster, the Dems could nominate a chimp and they would still beat McCain. If thats the case, why are all the Dems so worried?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections