Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Supreme Court case in the making? Maybe. This strikes me as a nullification-type crisis in the making. President - he of the $20 bill, stilll - took decisive action to end that constitutional challenge.
It can pass but yes, that does not mean it will stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:03 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,707,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Fun Fact:
If the above would have been in effect in 2016 Trump would still have won, although his Electoral margin would have been less. Trading one EC vote from South Dakota for 20 or so from California is a no brainer.
I'm not quite sure how you arrive at that conclusion. If the NPV was in effect, it means that there's 270-worth of EV in the compact. And those votes go to the winner of the popular vote. He did not win the popular vote, so he would have much less than 270 EV.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM

11,152 posts, read 10,731,132 times
Stupid is as stupid does.

The Electoral College exists to prevent the popular vote from electing the POTUS. If we go to the popular vote we have, in effect, mob rule. Whichever candidate wins the popularity contest would win the election. That's great if the winner is the one you agree with, but what happens when the person who wins is completely opposite of you ideologically?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'm not quite sure how you arrive at that conclusion. If the NPV was in effect, it means that there's 270-worth of EV in the compact. And those votes go to the winner of the popular vote. He did not win the popular vote, so he would have much less than 270 EV.
I was talking about proportional awarding of EC votes, not the NPV. Which I view that as an end around the Constitution.

And I still wonder, if it were implemented, how many states would actually follow through. I believe that all, or all but one, of the states currently "pledged" to it are reliably Democratic in Presidential elections. Maryland is one and knowing many/most of the members of the state Legislature I see no way in Hell that this state would assign EC votes to a Republican who doesn't carry the state, compact or no compact.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Stupid is as stupid does.

The Electoral College exists to prevent the popular vote from electing the POTUS. If we go to the popular vote we have, in effect, mob rule. Whichever candidate wins the popularity contest would win the election. That's great if the winner is the one you agree with, but what happens when the person who wins is completely opposite of you ideologically?
And that would be different from how it is now, how?

What is the point of voting if there is no chance that the person you want to win can actually win?

The current system deflates voting participation because too many people believe, rightly so, that their votes don't count.
Something needs to be done to encourage more people to vote.
This probably isn't it, but at least it has started a dialog.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

What is the point of voting if there is no chance that the person you want to win can actually win?

The current system deflates voting participation because too many people believe, rightly so, that their votes don't count.
Everybody says that but where's the proof? It certainly isn't in the usual turnout for state and local elections which tends to be way less than in Presidential years. And those state and local elections certainly are ones where a person's vote counts.

The reality is that over the last 50 or so years that voter participation has slowly, and maybe not so slowly, declined.

People use the typical "My vote doesn't count" bull**** (I've been involved in 5 vote difference elections so yeah, your vote counts) to "I can't get off work" (even though polls are open, typically, for 12 hours and there are also absentee ballots) to "I don't want to have to do jury duty" (which is now taken from driver's license holders in many states).

Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM

11,152 posts, read 10,731,132 times
Quote:
If you are unsure of how the EC works, look it up. I'm not giving lessons on it today.

Quote:
I have voted third party in the last 4 POTUS elections. The chance of my candidate winning is pretty much zero every time I vote, but I'm still going to vote for the candidate that I want to win rather than the lesser of two evils that the major parties give us, with the hope that eventually the rest of the nation will figure out how screwed up our two-party system is and jump ship with me.

Quote:
Every vote counts now in assigning electors. If you want to encourage people to vote, stop telling them that their vote doesn't count. If we switch to a popular vote, California and New York will be electing every president from now on, with a couple of smaller but populous states joining in. Again, if you agree with the people in California and New York that may not be a bad thing - but eventually California is going to jump the shark even in the minds of most liberals, and what happens then?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM

764 posts, read 236,027 times
I believe we should go in the opposite direction. Each state should be given one electoral vote based on the winner of it's popular vote. 50 states......50 electoral votes. No state should wield more political power than another.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I was talking about proportional awarding of EC votes, not the NPV. Which I view that as an end around the Constitution.

And I still wonder, if it were implemented, how many states would actually follow through. I believe that all, or all but one, of the states currently "pledged" to it are reliably Democratic in Presidential elections. Maryland is one and knowing many/most of the members of the state Legislature I see no way in Hell that this state would assign EC votes to a Republican who doesn't carry the state, compact or no compact.
Oh I see. Correct, if the EV was rewarded proportionally in 2016, I think it would have been 269-269 or 270-268 in favor of Trump.

I think all these questions of "would they follow through" are moot anyway. All these states listed in the compact are disenfranchised states that don't see any "presidential action" in form of campaigning anyway. In my opinion, when then signed onto this bill they agreed to do it knowing that their EV right now has no value anyway. So what is there to lose? However, I think common Americans, like you and I and our C-D colleagues would likely say to ourselves "Yeah, if we agreed to this NPV, we'd send the agreed upon electors even if it went against how our state voted." That's how normal people think. Politicians though... you never know when they might hold an emergency session and back out of the NPV.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You do realize that senators, governors, house representatives, etc are all voted by popular vote... wait no sorry...ahem... mob rule; as per your own definition. It is fine to make the argument that the election of the president should be done differently and the reason why is.... <insert your reason here>? But it is something else to say we simply cannot elect a president by popular vote even though nearly every other elected office in the country is by elected by popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections