Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
What I always have found surprising is that people assume new immigrants that become citizens (thereby having the right to vote) would automatically be Democrats. Perhaps my experience with immigrants is unique, but the majority of new citizens I have known approx 75% have been Republicans.

This is especially noticeable with Cubans. Every Cuban I've ever known even the ones born in America are hard core Republicans. When Marco Rubio started getting national press coverage I wasn't surprised in the least with the values he represented. (and he was born in America btw)
Remember that the Cuban refugees were the wealthy elite who had their estates and factories confiscated by Castro. They were always fervently anti-Communist and turned sharply against the Democrats with the failure of the Bay of Pigs. They have always been a political outlier from the overall Hispanic immigrant population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
What I always have found surprising is that people assume new immigrants that become citizens (thereby having the right to vote) would automatically be Democrats. Perhaps my experience with immigrants is unique, but the majority of new citizens I have known approx 75% have been Republicans.

This is especially noticeable with Cubans. Every Cuban I've ever known even the ones born in America are hard core Republicans. When Marco Rubio started getting national press coverage I wasn't surprised in the least with the values he represented. (and he was born in America btw)

This is also true of Vietnamese. I have a few friends from there, all Republicans.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The problem with the theory that has been proven inaccurate for 5 decades is that people tend to become more conservative when they get older and the parties themselves change to attract voters.

What's different this time is that the Boomers, due to their large numbers, will be dying off at a faster rate than the Millenials and Gen-X'ers turning conservative. It's not a one-for-one deal where for every Boomer that expires a Millenials changes party affiliation. Over the next 10 to 15 years the country will shift more towards the Democrats and the Independents.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The fact is our Hispanic population isn't made up of newcomers at all. About 70% of the Hispanic vote comes from folks who were born here, most often 3rd or 4th generation native-born citizens.

George W. Bush was certainly aware of that fact as a Texan, and he both pulled a lot of support from the Hispanic vote and appointed a lot of Hispanics once elected. So did Barack Obama. But as a Chicagoan, Obama was less successful than Bush.

Why haven't the Democrats captured more of them? Because the party neglected building ground-level support for the 8 years Obama was in office. Even longer than that- ever since Bill Clinton, the Democratic party spent far more time and effort trying to snag wealthy, white people with lots of money than spending time in the barrios trying to raise populist support.

And then they nominated the worst possible fly-over nominee in 2016. Hillary hated working down at the ground level as badly as Mitt Romney hated it. But unlike Mitt, she wouldn't even make an attempt to reach the folks down on the streets, of any heritage or color.

Donald Trump saw that early on, and intentionally ignored all the Big Money boys, going straight to the base and grabbing tight to it with both hands.

I give him full cred for that savvy; he saw it when no one else in his own party did, and no Democrats at all saw it until it was far too late

Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
People that buy votes don't have a loyal base the second something is asked of their followers they lose them

Old 06-15-2018, 09:49 AM

602 posts, read 505,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What's different this time is that the Boomers, due to their large numbers, will be dying off at a faster rate than the Millenials and Gen-X'ers turning conservative. It's not a one-for-one deal where for every Boomer that expires a Millenials changes party affiliation. Over the next 10 to 15 years the country will shift more towards the Democrats and the Independents.
Another question is whether the post-Millennial generation will continue the trend of liberal youth or turn more conservative. (Remember that young does not always equal liberal; for example during the 1980s young people - Gen-Xers at the time - leaned more conservative than the population at large, and may have helped contribute to the Reagan and Bush 41 Presidencies.)

I'm predicting a racial split - White "Gen-Zers" (I'll call them that for now) being more conservative (or at least more moderate) than White Millennials, but the growing minority population among that generation (and particularly those who are foreign-born or still have familial ties to their parents' homeland) will continue to lean liberal.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Part of the problem with this debate is that political parties are not stagnant. Trump was the most anti-trade of any Republican nominee in my lifetime. That helped close the gap in the rustbelt states. People also assumed he would be less socially conservative than he has been as president.

Younger generations have grown much more socially liberal but will vote R based on national security or fiscal conservatism. At the moment (aside form lower taxes) Trump has been a social conservative with liberal fiscal policy.

I still think winning the popular vote in Presidential elections 6 of the last 7 times shows a demographic strength. Unfortunately for Dems the demographic strength has not been paired to a geographic strength...

Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
. Unfortunately for Dems the demographic strength has not been paired to a geographic strength...
fortunate for America, though

Old 06-17-2018, 08:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Another question is whether the post-Millennial generation will continue the trend of liberal youth or turn more conservative. (Remember that young does not always equal liberal; for example during the 1980s young people - Gen-Xers at the time - leaned more conservative than the population at large, and may have helped contribute to the Reagan and Bush 41 Presidencies.)

I'm predicting a racial split - White "Gen-Zers" (I'll call them that for now) being more conservative (or at least more moderate) than White Millennials, but the growing minority population among that generation (and particularly those who are foreign-born or still have familial ties to their parents' homeland) will continue to lean liberal.

There will be a split after all the baby boomers die off, however IMO the split will be among socioeconomic lines, not racial.

We are seeing the last hooray (hopefully) of racists now with Trump in office.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
There will be a split after all the baby boomers die off, however IMO the split will be among socioeconomic lines, not racial.

We are seeing the last hooray (hopefully) of racists now with Trump in office.
So true.

The "savior of white christianity" is exposed as a charlatan of the highest order, yet the evangelicals cling to him like a sand burr because of his strong over-arching racism.

They have no objections.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections