Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
Really? I know quuuuuuite a few people who negotiated some extra dough in their salary based on their student loan debt. If you're worth enough to an employer, they're willing to negotiate.
They'd also be worth negotiating if you have to move, or commute further then the next person being interviewed, but thats for your own personal benefit.. not the companies, unless you have something to benefit the company better then the next person..

I'd say its much more beneficial to note a benefit to the company that your husbands a senator, then you having student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 AM

357 posts, read 891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They'd also be worth negotiating if you have to move, or commute further then the next person being interviewed, but thats for your own personal benefit.. not the companies, unless you have something to benefit the company better then the next person..

I'd say its much more beneficial to note a benefit to the company that your husbands a senator, then you having student loans.
I think we're saying similar things there and maybe I just didn't communicate that effectively. I was simply refuting domer's prior statement.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
Kudos to your friends, but the firms I interviewed with, if I would have whined about having student loans to pay and I need more money as a result, they would have stopped the interview and hollared "next!!!".

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 PM

357 posts, read 891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yea, she chased the big bucks working for Sidley & Austin until Barack graduated from Harvard Law.

Law degrees generally lead to law careers, it's a vicious cycle.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,199,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You had me up until the following paragraph..

Sorry but working a hospital job to me, is not considered public interest work, or have you missed the whole health care, insurance, high prices, people being denied procedures out of a lack of being able to pay for them debate.

To me a hospital is a business and should be run as one. While the democrats want to see "insurance companies" run for public interest, and hospitals will only be next, until the time that hospitals become run as best interest for the public, and not the hospitals pocket book.. it can not be a public interest job.
Sorry, but if you go to a top-tier law school, working for a non-profit anything is surely public interest. Harvard (Michelle's law school) is now trying to entice folks to go into public interest law by forgiving them their loans for working in the field for several years.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I think you'd best reconsider calling other people's statements "ignorant." Nuns do NOT get paychecks. Their earnings go directly to the convent and they are only given $30 per month from the convent to buy personal items. I know this because my sister is a nun.

There's a whole passel of orders of nuns (including my next door neighbors). Deal with the issue of this thread, please.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
regarding mrs. obama, (quote) her thesis revealed a cast of mind that most voters find deeply unattractive. Plainly Mrs. Obama had that cast of mind in 1985. Recent remarks suggest she still has it. The fact that Barack Obama chose her as a wife and seems to get on well with her, indicates that he shares it. It's that deeply, unrelentingly critical way of thinking about the U.S.A., and about most of our citizens, that characterizes the "victicrat" — the person who has been taught, or who has taught herself, that she is a pitiful figure buffeted by hostile forces, whose only hope for survival is to return the hostility, and to band together with others like herself ("the Black community") for mutual aid, all of them in a hostile posture to the out-group.
Most Americans don't see our country like that, and have a low opinion of people who do. Millions of white — or, as Mrs. Obama writes, "White" — Americans would love to have had the breaks Mrs. Obama had, and resent the fact that they didn't have them because they don't belong to a designated victim group. They resent the ease with which two beneficiaries of those breaks can parlay their victim status into two six-digit salaries and a seven-digit house, without ever doing any kind of work that adds to the nation's wealth or security. And they especially resent that people who have attained those heights of success, with the assistance of those breaks, seem to nurse nothing but hostile emotions towards the country that made it possible for them.
......and the money keeps rolling in.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
There's a whole passel of orders of nuns (including my next door neighbors). Deal with the issue of this thread, please.
YOU'RE the one who called someone else's post "ignorant" and then made an erroneous statement about nuns. Why don't you pop next door and ask them if they get an actual paycheck for their work? Or, at the very least, quit calling people names.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Millions of white — or, as Mrs. Obama writes, "White" — Americans would love to have had the breaks Mrs. Obama had, and resent the fact that they didn't have them because they don't belong to a designated victim group.
There is no basis for that statement. What did Michelle get because she was black? She probably can't get a cab in NYC or one to her home on the south side.

Obama has been in politics for a while. If he were so dangerous why hasn't he commenced a vicious anit-white campaign yet? I don't buy that Ms. Obama has made racial remarks.

As to her senior thesis at Princeton, I am very forgiving as to what folks say at the tender age of 22.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
YOU'RE the one who called someone else's post "ignorant" and then made an erroneous statement about nuns. Why don't you pop next door and ask them if they get an actual paycheck for their work? Or, at the very least, quit calling people names.
Actually, I didn't call anyone names. I said she made a remarkably ignorant statement and it was. Now show me where I was wrong in that assessment and deal with the issues of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections