Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's inevitable that the 2 neighboring state of California, NV & AZ, are going to go the California route, no stopping it.

Or you might say the rest of AZ may go the route of zany, liberal Tucson, where I just moved here from conservative Las Vegas.
Only time will tell. I think, like many regions of the country trends change every couple of decades: CA used to be moderate or leaned slightly right when it came to electing leader: Look back to the late 70s and some more recent elections: AR used to be very blue until about 10 years ago. Yes, there were some GOP representatives like Huckabee but mostly leaned blue though not liberal necessarily. AZ as we know has been very red for years. The south used to be Democrat period. I don't know if I would go so far as to say, NV and AZ will become blue in the next few years: I think purple is more likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Other polls around the same time so McSally trailing, and overall the average of the polls still shows Sinema up, though this is certainly one that deserves closer watching.
I see it the same way you do and I see many races that way: constantly changing. It might be one of the most interesting mid term elections we have had in years.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM

78,357 posts, read 60,556,941 times
I feel that in the last few years that people's willingness to respond to polls or at least respond honestly have added more volatility (and estimation error) to them in general. Throw in technological challenges that could add additional respondant bias and they could potentially be even more dicey.

I think that after this mid-term and with data from 2016 as well, there will be a lot more emphasis on the polling groups that get it mostly right and those that don't have a clue.

And as always, there can be voter reaction to polls as well meaning that by predicting a big win you could harm turnout etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-10-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
McSally recently sent out a mailer showing Phoenix being incinerated by a mushroom cloud and claiming that Sinema would lead to that scenario if elected. McSally's other ads have called Sinema a sex trafficker (or at least an enabler) and attacked her for things she said and did while a college student many years ago (Kavanaugh anyone?) while ignoring her actual congressional record. Many of these ads are from the Republican Senate committee and other outside groups. That they are still running suggests they work with Republican voters. That is not surprising to me. The conspiracy and reality disconnect of the Arizona right is extreme.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
You must have missed the memo on Texas, different groups who back GOP candidates have made some huge buys in recent weeks to prop up Cruz, who looks like he is on the ropes.
beating your opponent in the polls is an indicator of being 'on the ropes'?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...154212488.html

Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,577,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
McSally recently sent out a mailer showing Phoenix being incinerated by a mushroom cloud and claiming that Sinema would lead to that scenario if elected. McSally's other ads have called Sinema a sex trafficker (or at least an enabler) and attacked her for things she said and did while a college student many years ago (Kavanaugh anyone?) while ignoring her actual congressional record. Many of these ads are from the Republican Senate committee and other outside groups. That they are still running suggests they work with Republican voters. That is not surprising to me. The conspiracy and reality disconnect of the Arizona right is extreme.

I didn't see that ad, but have heard about it on the local news. Both sides in that race are running 100% negative campaigns, so blaming this stuff on the "reality disconnect" of the "extreme right" only serves to expose your own bias. If you think "McSally will lie about anything" you are part of the problem.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:07 AM

https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/...298560/video/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKiWO8f_rBY

Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM

lots of videos coming out showing how much sinema loves AZ

Sinema refers to Arizona as 'Meth Lab of Democracy'

Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 PM

8,611 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lots of videos coming out showing how much sinema loves AZ

Sinema refers to Arizona as 'Meth Lab of Democracy'
Not a good look AT ALL. Shame on her. It's one thing for her to be modest in regards to herself. It's another when she is willing to throw her fellow Arizonans under the bus for a few "laughs". I was on the fence between the two, but I detest this type of behavior.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:41 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,385,367 times
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/statu...30190555930625
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections