Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Just for the sake of sanity I thought I would start a thread with some factual, analytical information that is relevant to the election. Apparently, Clinton may give the Democrats a better chance of winning in November than Obama:

Hillary Rodham Clinton is stronger than Barack Obama when pitted against John McCain, according to new polls of three major states that tend to swing between Democrats and Republicans in November elections.

A Quinnipiac University survey released Wednesday found that, thanks largely to white voters, Clinton leads presumptive Republican nominee McCain in Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, while Obama trails the Arizona senator in Florida and leads him by narrower margins in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Politics - Swing-state polls give Clinton edge - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/832900.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
I believe the polls will start favoring the dems after they settle on a final nominee.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Looking at the states and electoral college, and after she no longer has to pander to the far left, Hillary would undoubtedly present a much tougher challenge to McCain than Obama will. She knows it, many of the big-picture party hacks know it and that's the difficulty that's driving her to stay in.

The flock doesn't and won't agree with this until after Nov vote. . . . and that's what make this great entertainment!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Obama, will not carry the bread and butter democrats that are moderate. Even liberals like me find Obama's message hollow and strangely lackluster.

Obama, like George Mc Govern from 36 years ago attracts a very limited & boutique electorate- that in the end will fail, not on the scale of Mc Governs '72 disaster, but something even less close then Kerry in 2004. Hillary is the stronger candidate.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Either of them would beat McCain in the fall.

I dont think many of my fellow democrats have their thinking caps on tight enough right now but once the actual nominee is selected we will have a clear choice and it will not be John McCain.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Obama, will not carry the bread and butter democrats that are moderate. Even liberals like me find Obama's message hollow and strangely lackluster.

Obama, like George Mc Govern from 36 years ago attracts a very limited & boutique electorate- that in the end will fail, not on the scale of Mc Governs '72 disaster, but something even less close then Kerry in 2004. Hillary is the stronger candidate.
First it was Hillary would wrap up the nomination by Feb. 5th then Hillary is the candidate to win in Nov. If she can't be competitive in the primary how in the world would she be competitive in the GE. You Hillary supporters need to start taking medications or just get with the facts.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
And so who would "bread and butter" democrats vote for?

McCain is a third term of George W Bush. Voting for him despite all the differences we have with him as Democrats is truly hollow and not only lackluster, but quite frankly, dangerous.

Such people who would turn on our party for such petty reasons to me are idiots. No offense.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And so who would "bread and butter" democrats vote for?

McCain is a third term of George W Bush. Voting for him despite all the differences we have with him as Democrats is truly hollow and not only lackluster, but quite frankly, dangerous.

Such people who would turn on our party for such petty reasons to me are idiots. No offense.
Thank you. These so called bread and butter democrats who won't or don't vote for obama will be the same ones complaining when McCain continues the policies of George Bush.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 PM

270 posts, read 527,070 times
If Obama gets the nomination we will have a republican president for the next four years. That's it. McCain and the Republicans will put him through the ringer and he will not be able to stand back up. Then he will not be taken seriously for that position again. It's as simple as that. I could vote for Clinton but not Obama. (not saying I for sure would vote for Clinton) I know many, many people who feel the same. That being said, I know a lot of people who will vote for Obama. It's sad that the two candidate are blind to the facts. In fact it is sad that so many people on this blog are blinded by Obama. Yes you will say I am not blind, he will win and make a great president. Sorry folks, you really need to wake up and face the music.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
If Obama gets the nomination we will have a republican president for the next four years. That's it.
There have been polls that have shown Obama ahead of McCain in presidential polls.

Quote:
McCain and the Republicans will put him through the ringer and he will not be able to stand back up.
McCain's 100-year war is EONS worse than any ISSUE-related jab they can throw at Obama. McCain himself is very easy prey. He clearly does NOT feel comfortable talking about the Economy-because admittedly its not his strong suit. Which is why he spends all his time harping on terror but you know what-this time its different. The Vast Majority of Americans disagree with him and Barack can expolit all of the above.

Another HUGE drawback that McCain has is he is easily associated with George W Bush. Their comradary will assuade the far right but disgust everyone else.

And as far as being low and dirty, The S&L scandal and his own personal history of cheating on his first wife with his current far younger wife and then using her money and connections to get into politics really is a no brainer that is a can of worms that can be opened up simply by asking either of them one question..."so how did you meet?"

Im sorry but there is enough dirty laundry in both camps to keep 'em busy washing clothes for months.

Quote:
Then he will not be taken seriously for that position again. It's as simple as that. I could vote for Clinton but not Obama. (not saying I for sure would vote for Clinton) I know many, many people who feel the same.
Only bitter Hillary supporters. Sadly.

They were expecting a coronation but now face possible rejection. Bill Richardson said it best: Get over it.

Of course that's easier said than done. In the end, to far too many, the good of the party and the good of America will have to take a back seat to a bruised ego and battered pride.

Quote:
In fact it is sad that so many people on this blog are blinded by Obama. Yes you will say I am not blind, he will win and make a great president. Sorry folks, you really need to wake up and face the music.
What's truly sad is that optimism nowadays is seen as a liability. Im sorry but Im tired of the divisiveness of the last 20 years and think Obama just might be able to change that.

Im at least willing to give him a try-I have no reason not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections