Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Many purple and light red district Democrats are committed to opposing her speakership, and to renege on that promise would expose their campaign as dishonest.

Those members are in the minority, if anything I would suggest a speaker left of Pelosi (left of Pelosi LOL) would emerge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 AM

31,022 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Even if they lose know they will fine in the future. Why do you think they are cultivating Illegal Aliens? Having an uninterrupted supply of Illegals and their children insures that in one more generation only Democrats will be elected.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There's a nice little cycle of sorts that's been consistent since the presidency of Bill Clinton: Every new president begins with control of both houses of Congress. They lose control of both houses two years later and spend the remaining 6 years fighting an almost impossible uphill battle with Congress. I happen to like this cycle because I'm very Libertarian. I'm all in favor of keeping the government from being able to do much. You deal with two years of one party going nuts, but it gets shut down in short order. I could wish for unending gridlock, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Based on that cycle, if the Democrats fail to take control of both houses of Congress, that's a failure to maintain status quo. If they take the House but not the Senate or vice-versa, then that's an embarrassment. If the Republicans retain control of both houses, the Democrats should toss their entire playbook in the garbage and start over.

Current projection has the Dems taking the House but the GOP keeping the Senate. And considering how reliable the polls were in 2016, all bets are off across the board. Anything can happen. Dems could win both houses or neither. We won't know until the election results come in.

Thoughts?
Power Divided is Power controlled!!!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Trump has been repeatedly audited by the IRS over the past few decades so if you think they missed something go for it. You're actually making my point for me... if you think another 2 years of going after Trump is the way to endear voters to your cause I believe you and the Democrats are making a very bad miscalculation.
Your bravado is pretty funny, but I'm pretty sure you would still want your boys (yes and most of them are) to hold the gavel.

Oh, it's not just about taxes. Russia, collusion, the emoluments clause. And to keep the Republicans from gutting Social Security and Medicare are a few things.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It seems most of us agree, for it to be a successful DEM year they have to take back the house for sure. I don't mean pick up some seats, that is a foregone conclusion they will do that. A real success, going back to what so many were thinking a few months ago they would have to pick up the senate as well. This is unlikely. Now what will they say is a success? even picking up 2 or 3 house seats. Only a few more weeks ladies and gentlemen.
The reason I disagree with this is pretty simple: We've been living in an auto-gridlocking system. Why? Because ultimately, the American people really don't like either party very much. As soon as one of them gets control of the White House and Congress at the same time, the American People tend to flip the script as soon as the midterms roll around, giving the party opposite the White House control of Congress and effectively stopping the insanity. If the Dems fail to recapture the Senate, that tells us a lot about how they did for the past several years. It means that the people of America are losing faith in the Democratic Party and actually increasing in faith in the Republican Party.

Now this sounds terrible if you're rooting for the Democrats and wonderful if you're rooting for the Republicans, but the bigger picture is that both parties suck. Neither is fit to run this county. If the Republicans are viewed as superior to Democrats, that's nothing much to get excited about. It's two piles of feces and you're taking a poll on which one stinks less.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My prediction is this cycle will be broken, I've already suggested previously a win by the Democrats in 2018 is not necessarily a bad thing for Republicans. Assuming the Democrats take the House and/or Senate which are possibilities they are going to go off the rails with impeachment and other things setting up Trump and the GOP for a major win in 2020. I'm actually half hoping they do take the House because IMO it all but guarantees a major win by Republicans in 2020

The problem for you and Republicans is that this isnt 2010, by which I mean The House is actually set up for Dems to fail, the fact that they are even competing is a problem for you guys.

You have gerrymandered districts that are in play that shouldnt be. It shows a shifting dynamic, and I dont see either the Green Candidate or the Libertarian candidate gettting as many voters in 2020 as they did in 2016.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Isn't Nelson the only D (aside from Obama) who has won statewide in Florida over the last dozen years? He is fairly Conservative for a Dem. Also- both Florida and Ohio have only elected Ds in presidential years lately- not in mid terms. So wresting the Governorships would be a major show of strength.

I dont view Nelson as all that conservative . He votes with the Dems far more than any other conservative democrat.

And im 100% sure Ted Strickland was elected governor in a midterm as was Alex Sink as CFO of Florida . Bill Nelson and Sherrod Brown were both elected in 2006 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections