Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,095,651 times

Advertisements

It was never like this before. You would always vote on the Tuesday of the election, period.

I can understand if you're military or have a legitimate excuse, but this pre-Tuesday voting craze is stupid.

I'd rather see it a National holiday or something, but I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I also think there is more chances that election can be tampered with/manipulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 01:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,386,875 times
I used to think that early voting should not be allowed as Election Day seemed sacred and there is something special to walk into the voting booth, but now that we do 100% of our voting in Colorado via mail, I would not want it any other way.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
Hate hate hate, so much around here.

I've been voting absentee for decades and have no fear about it for a second.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
For the last several years we were in Florida, we voted with absentee ballots. We were going to vote here in Tennessee today, but my wife had some surgery on her arm this morning, so we voted early. Never have felt voting absentee/early as being a problem. The easier we make it to vote, the more people will vote. But then again, I'm not on the conspiracy theory train.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,839,461 times
My entire state is vote by mail. There are no polling places. Love it. I vote in the privacy of my home after carefully researching all the issues, about 2 weeks before election day. I could just drop my ballot in the mail, but I usually drive it to the ballot collection box at the county office.

The reason to vote early is that then you can go up on the state site and make sure your ballot was received. If it hasn't been, you can go to the county office and get a provisional ballot.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-06-2018, 01:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,277,330 times
I love it. It is so easy to vote. Why would anyone go stand in line for hours and miss school or work when they can do a paper ballot in their home two weeks ahead of crunch day?

I actually was able to research every judge and state official on the ballot. And I've checked online--our county tracks all the absentee ballots. It shows received.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:43 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,102,635 times
Yea, how Un-American of them to ensure that all citizens have the ability and time to vote....

Not.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,396 times
After seeing all of these crazy lines in voting places I could understand why some would do mail in. I would not want to spend 2 hours in jam packed zoo waiting to vote. I am very grateful for my voting location. Never waited more than a few minutes and I can walk to it from my house.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,316,758 times
I have no problem with it except that I do wonder if there is more room for fraud or "lost" votes.

Someone posted in one of these political threads a few days ago that they work in a post office in Florida and they are throwing away all ballots that come in for the Republican candidates. I wanted to assume that they were joking, and hopefully they were, but they certainly did not have a joking attitude about it, they were very angry sounding. I'm not sure how they could tell if the ballot was for the Republican or the Democrat short of opening it. Isn't tampering with U.S. mail a felony?

Really hoping that they were either joking or that they get caught red handed (no pun intended) if they weren't.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,095,651 times
I live in a big city (St. Paul) and my place is a couple blocks from my house. Never once have I had to wait more than a few minutes. I don't understand where people are having to wait 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Yea, how Un-American of them to ensure that all citizens have the ability and time to vote....

Not.
Because it was such a problem for the last...200 years? Only now, all of a sudden, it is a problem?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections