Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:33 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The entire country owes Florida a debt of gratitude. They saved us from Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Andrew Gillum and Bill Nelson.

God bless Florida!
It should never have been as close as it was. Gillum? Gillum???

Same with the craziness in AZ (a race that has still not been called). The fact that these two races (as well as the closeness of the O'Rourke/Cruz result in TX and the race in GA)) should be extremely worrisome to all conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 08:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Florida along with NC and Ohio are lost to the Democrats for the foreseeable future.
Some things to consider:

1. Scott-Nelson race was so close it is going to re-count
2. 1.4 million felons (mostly low income / minority) will vote next time. Half a million of them are black
3. Dems gained a bunch of seats in FL last night
4. DeSantis won by 0.7%

Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
It should never have been as close as it was. Gillum? Gillum???

Same with the craziness in AZ (a race that has still not been called). The fact that these two races (as well as the closeness of the O'Rourke/Cruz result in TX and the race in GA)) should be extremely worrisome to all conservatives.
Exactly. What I see now is an opening in a bastion of normally safe red seats.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Considering how green and terribly inarticulate DeSantis was at the debate, I'm really surprised he was able to pull off the victory.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Florida is and always has been a swamp.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

The biggest thing was the passing of amendment which will ...
... require a super-majority to pass any increases in taxes or fees at State level.

Next biggest thing was rejection of an additional homestead exemption.

Common-sense message: Electorate is satisfied with fiscal condition of State, no need to raise or reduce taxes, but instead spend wisely what public money is available.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
... require a super-majority to pass any increases in taxes or fees at State level.

Next biggest thing was rejection of an additional homestead exemption.

Common-sense message: Electorate is satisfied with fiscal condition of State, no need to raise or reduce taxes, but instead spend wisely what public money is available.
The homestead exemption amendment was so poorly worded most people probably didn't know what it was all about. Personally I did vote NO for it, and all the other major amendments went my way too, including ban on off-shore drilling. Oddly enough, off-shore drilling and ban on vaping was on the same amendment. Duh!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
I don't know. They lost a bunch of House Reps in FL. Also, Scott race is headed to re-count.

The biggest thing was the passing of amendment which will restore voting rights for ex-cons. That adds over a million voters and most are either poor, or minority so they are more likely to vote Dem. That can tip the scales in FL, where the races are always very tight.
I don't think anyone has suggested that they win every race, but to come out ahead in both the U.S. Senate race and the Governorship is a remarkable feat. Both of their candidates were down significantly. I don't know what happened in their state legislature, but the headline I saw from the Miami Herald suggested that they lost some and flipped some. The GOP only lost two Miami area congressional races.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:38 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Some things to consider:

1. Scott-Nelson race was so close it is going to re-count
2. 1.4 million felons (mostly low income / minority) will vote next time. Half a million of them are black
3. Dems gained a bunch of seats in FL last night
4. DeSantis won by 0.7%
Actually Desantis' percentage total keeps dropping as votes are still being tallied in Broward & Orange counties with absentee & provisional ballots.
Broward says the have about 100,000 absentee ballots still left to count.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...107-story.html

Gillum shouldn't have conceded so quickly since it appears he lost by less than 44,000 votes now which is about the .05% margin that would have triggered a automatic recount.

DeSantis :4,066,033
50%
Gillumn : 4,022,843
49%

Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Actually Desantis' percentage total keeps dropping as votes are still being tallied in Broward & Orange counties with absentee & provisional ballots.
Broward says the have about 100,000 absentee ballots still left to count.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...107-story.html

Gillum shouldn't have conceded so quickly since it appears he lost by less than 44,000 votes now which is about the .05% margin that would have triggered a automatic recount.

DeSantis :4,066,033
50%
Gillumn : 4,022,843
49%
I didn’t understand why he conceded so quickly.
In any event, I read this morning that there could still be a recount for both races.

“The new totals show that DeSantis is ahead of Democrat Andrew Gillum by 0.57 percent of the vote or 46,722 votes. The state will conduct an automatic recount if the margin falls to 0.5 percent.”

https://www.local10.com/news/electio...omatic-recount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections