Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times

Advertisements

The Dems could do worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
"Beto" in contrast, well that's not even his real name.

That's like saying "Jimmy" is not Jimmy Carter's real name. Or that "Mike" is not Mike Pence's real name. Or that "Mike" is not Mike Pompeo's real name. Or "Dick" is not Dick Cheney's real name. Or "Bill" is not Bill Clinton's real name. Or that "Betsy" isn't Betsy Devos' real name.

All use nicknames of the first name.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:24 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to be condescending but who is this "Beto" anyway?

I do not understand why people make such a big deal about him when they have already have good candidates (from the Democratic standpoint) such as Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Kamala Harris. Also, former Vice President Joe Biden may still enter the race and now Washington Governor Jay Inslee, who is making climate change a key issue for his campaign.

To be honest, I do not trust most politicians, especially Democrats. Bernie Sanders at least, even if you do not agree with him on all issues, at least he seems honest and the real deal. "Beto" in contrast, well that's not even his real name.
I know you mentioned "from a Democratic standpoint", but I know a few Democrats who think these guys aren't good and are too far left/too progressive. In addition, they can't rely on only Democrats; they have to appeal to independents as well, and it might not hurt if they could sway a few Republicans. Personal opinion, but I don't think there's any way any of those three beats Trump unless something major changes with him in the next year.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
That's like saying "Jimmy" is not Jimmy Carter's real name. Or that "Mike" is not Mike Pence's real name. Or that "Mike" is not Mike Pompeo's real name. Or "Dick" is not Dick Cheney's real name. Or "Bill" is not Bill Clinton's real name. Or that "Betsy" isn't Betsy Devos' real name.

All use nicknames of the first name.
After his $50M loss to lying Ted Cruz, it's his cross to bear. "Beto" is no Mike, Jimmy or Sally. And listen to him say it. No wonder people thought he was trying to pretend to be Hispanic.

But hey. If he thinks it's gonna win him votes to be a meme, then I say more power to him.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Republican Club for Growth is so nervous about Beto running that they are airing a two minute ad trying to negatively compare him to Obama in Iowa. They found him to be so strong he could take Texas and more.

“We watched what he did in Texas in the race against Cruz and realized his potential within the Democratic primary system is enormously larger than what people are giving him credit for right now. We realized, here is a real potential threat because if he is the nominee then Texas suddenly is in play,” McIntosh said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...attack-1214805

Old 03-10-2019, 06:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
Beto has a documentary that premiered on HBO this weekend. It's called Running with Beto. I will check it out this week.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/running-with-beto

Old 03-10-2019, 10:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
{shrug} other than the "cool" nickname, not sure what he has going for him. But I guess that's enough for the Dims.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republican Club for Growth is so nervous about Beto running that they are airing a two minute ad trying to negatively compare him to Obama in Iowa. They found him to be so strong he could take Texas and more.

“We watched what he did in Texas in the race against Cruz and realized his potential within the Democratic primary system is enormously larger than what people are giving him credit for right now. We realized, here is a real potential threat because if he is the nominee then Texas suddenly is in play,” McIntosh said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...attack-1214805
That Beto bio is hysterical. Repub groups would NEVER flatter Pres Obama that way. They struggled to even address him as “Mr President”- lol. Btw, his name is pronounced Beh toe,
not Betto.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
He's left-wing for Texas but center left nationally. Given the emotion among the white evangelicals in the 2018 midterm in response to the Kavanaugh situation, he didn't stand a chance in Texas. However 2020 will be different and the US isn't Texas. He's young and is able to energize the youth, something Hillary Clinton couldn't do. I think he's one of the strongest contenders currently in the field. There's a reason Republicans fear him.

My fear is the Dems will nominate somebody unlikable or too polarizing and mess this up. The 2020 election is pretty much there for the taking.
Old man Bernie Sanders energizes the youth far more than Beto or any other young candidate does.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,379,222 times
He can barely string a sentence together. He's essentially an overgrown skateboard riding, F-bomb dropping child. Leave the serious stuff to Bernie and get back to your self-discovery travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections