Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times

Advertisements

At least according to this article.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...primary-995353

We shall see, I think one thing we tend to notice with elections is that the candidate who announces intentions to run too early doesn't win. Probably due to our short attention spans and our predilection for new shiny things.

The takeaway seems to be that Beto O'Rourke is a dynamic personality who donors see has having great fundraising potential, so people are holding off on endorsing candidates until they know whether or not Beto is running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Not a single word in the article about actual policies. Its all about the money. Thats not democracy. Thats plutocracy, rule by wealth.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
^^^
Aren't you glad that we have a corrupt self-dealing billionaire in the White House?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not a single word in the article about actual policies. Its all about the money. Thats not democracy. Thats plutocracy, rule by wealth.
I'm with ya on that Mike.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
At least according to this article.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...primary-995353

We shall see, I think one thing we tend to notice with elections is that the candidate who announces intentions to run too early doesn't win. Probably due to our short attention spans and our predilection for new shiny things.

The takeaway seems to be that Beto O'Rourke is a dynamic personality who donors see has having great fundraising potential, so people are holding off on endorsing candidates until they know whether or not Beto is running.
Whatever your opinion, you can’t dismiss anyone these days. I thought Trump would be good for a laugh or two before he got blown out of the primaries. Look where we are now.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not a single word in the article about actual policies. Its all about the money.
The entire article was about which candidates the big political donors are choosing to back early. Bottom line, most of the Ds have similar stances. The differences are minor between them. Some are more left and some are more moderate.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 AM

Wonder how a Beto-Kamala Harris ticket would do. I could see that exciting the youth vote.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
^^^
Aren't you glad that we have a corrupt self-dealing billionaire in the White House?

From what I remember is Hillary Clinton spent over a billion dollars on her campaign and LOST.

Trump spent 250 million and won. Money didn't buy him the whitehouse. A good campaign did .

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
From what I remember is Hillary Clinton spent over a billion dollars on her campaign and LOST.

Trump spent 250 million and won. Money didn't buy him the whitehouse. A good campaign did .
This is a complete non sequitur. Campaign spending is wholly unrelated to what Old Gringo was posting about, but I think you knew that.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Every Presidential election of the 21st century, beginning in 2000, has been personality driven. The personal charisma of the candidates has been more important that policy in every one of them.

The candidate's personality has always been important, but it's taken over now. I think it really began with Nixon. Every winner since Nixon has had increasingly more personal attractiveness than the opposing candidate.

The electorate swings back and forth from a liberal charmer to a conservative charmer.

Nixon himself worked on his charm, and was much more charming in 1968 than he was in 1960, when he ran as a policy wonk. John Kennedy was a policy wonk, too, but was a lot more charming and glamorous.
When Nixon came back in 1968, he was a lot more polished, smoother, and a lot friendlier appearing, than when he was in Congress.

In this age of selfies, when everyone wants as much attention as they can get from strangers, I expect our candidates will all have more flamboyant personalities than they have now for a long time to come.

It's what gets the voters to come to the rallies, what gets them to the polls, and what the public concentrates on once they're elected. The days of the politicians who are solid policy makers with little personal appeal are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections