Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Democratic nominee for 2020 should be:
A woman or minority to showcase our changing demographics 9 19.57%
A man, woman, white or minority 37 80.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Not if he's older than me.

My favorite pairing for 2020:

Prez: Sherrod Brown
Veep: Beto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by follow the news View Post
I read that the leadership of the Democratic party will see that their nominee will be a woman and or minority. They don't want any old white man as their standard bearer

If you are a Democrat, would you support an old white man as a candidate for President?
Absolutely. We nominated a minority in 2008 and 2012. We nominated a woman in 2016. No one should make the mistake of thinking the democrats are always going to nominate a woman or minority as their standard bearer in every election.

I would invite everyone who thinks the democrats need to always pick a woman or minority to leave the party. Its that kind of thinking that got us Donald Trump. And, if you are really dumb enough to believe that "its better democrats lose than not pick a woman or minority" please do us all a favor and go join a third party. We'd be better off without you. The party is hopefully going to always select the best candidate and that candidate may be white, black, blue, female, or male. I am sick and tired of people who try to say that if they don't get their perfect candidate, they are going to pick up their marbles and go home. Politics is about compromising. Its about accepting the fact that getting 65% of what you want is better than getting nothing.

The real test should be: How badly do you want to defeat Donald Trump?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Absolutely. We nominated a minority in 2008 and 2012. We nominated a woman in 2016. No one should make the mistake of thinking the democrats are always going to nominate a woman or minority as their standard bearer in every election.

I would invite everyone who thinks the democrats need to always pick a woman or minority to leave the party. Its that kind of thinking that got us Donald Trump. And, if you are really dumb enough to believe that "its better democrats lose than not pick a woman or minority" please do us all a favor and go join a third party. We'd be better off without you. The party is hopefully going to always select the best candidate and that candidate may be white, black, blue, female, or male. I am sick and tired of people who try to say that if they don't get their perfect candidate, they are going to pick up their marbles and go home. Politics is about compromising. Its about accepting the fact that getting 65% of what you want is better than getting nothing.

The real test should be: How badly do you want to defeat Donald Trump?
Democrats being democrats is what got us Donald Trump and we thank you guys for it. Democrats have cared more about race and gender than qualifications of candidates for decades now, don't try to act like this is something new.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:29 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not a candidate so my vote doesn't count but I do believe the Dems are looking for a young, minority and hopefully a woman. To me, this is defeat ready to happen. We all need to concentrate on who would be best for our country and not choose based on race, sexual orientation or gender. We saw in 2008 our country was ready for a minority president: I think we are ready for a female as well, but a combination of female and minority, I am not sure about that. The candidate would need to be very special. I do think age may play a part this election.
And that's why the poll results show exactly all of this.

I have no idea who will emerge as frontrunners, but after nominating a women in 2016, I tend to doubt the
Democrats will nominate another woman in 2020, as that would be two in a row, but I think it's very possible a lady could be the VP candidate.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Democrats being democrats is what got us Donald Trump and we thank you guys for it. Democrats have cared more about race and gender than qualifications of candidates for decades now, don't try to act like this is something new.
It won't make any difference who gets nominated. The nation is so divided by party lines now that the Democrats won't ever depend on race or gender or age, as whoever they nominate will face solid opposition from the other side.

I think the mojo a candidate has will become the deciding factor. Obama has big mojo, and so does Trump. And Bush had it in 2000.

I expect 2020 will be another election that is decided on the candidate's personal attractiveness primarily, but qualifications, or at least their experience as legislators, will be more important than they were in 2016. But still in distant second place to the person's mojo.

Whoever it is will have to be pro Me-Too, possess a clean record of fidelity, have no traces of racial predjudice in the past or present, and agreeable to some degree of radical change, but still solid in the ways of Congress and how things work in Washington.

It's a losing game trying to out-conservative conservatives. Clinton moved his party rightward, so the Repubs just moved farther right. So I expect there will be some things in the 2020 agenda that will be more radically leftward than they've been since his Presidency.

Obama was the most centered centralist in many years, so there will be no more gradual attempts to nudge Washington to the left bit by bit. All those attempts were blocked solid for 8 years.

I can't say where the areas are that will be challenged by radical solutions yet, though. There are a lot of them to pick from.

Trump has tried a couple that I think are actually pretty good, but so far, nothing has come from his proposals. That may be due to his waffling- as soon as he proposes something, he reverses himself and then reverses directions again- but if that changes, he may actually effect some of the things the Democrats are also studying.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Yes. At least we have a diverse group.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
No more white people!!

Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
No more white people!!
didnt you just start a thread about being both white and hispanic while saying you were a republican ?

you have 3 whole reasons why not to comment in this thread, LOL.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Dennis Kucinich does not seem to be interested in running again. The other two names I know are Tulsi Gabbard and Keith Ellison. The rest of the party is Clinton clones.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:27 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Dennis Kucinich does not seem to be interested in running again. The other two names I know are Tulsi Gabbard and Keith Ellison. The rest of the party is Clinton clones.
We need to kick all the white people OUT of the Democratic Party. They have NO PLACE in here. That is the ONLY way we’re going to win elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections