Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,363 times

Advertisements

I hope this hasn't been put up yet. Here's an interesting article I found on realpolitics.com. If you believe this article, John McCain may have more than Obama or God forbid Hillbilly to worry about in November. Bob Barr could be a thorn in his side.

The American Spectator

Like all candidates Barr isn't perfect, but as I said before I would seriously consider voting for him even though the Libertarian party isn't my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Barr can potentially appeal to disgruntled conservatives who see the choice of McCain or the Democrats as analogous to picking between being punched in the stomach or kneed in the groin. This includes both the enthusiastic -- and generous -- grassroots activists who powered libertarian Congressman Ron Paul's GOP presidential campaign and many more conventional Republicans in whom McCain inspires dyspepsia. No less a mainstream conservative than Rush Limbaugh has argued that McCain's election would lead to a revival of Rockefeller Republicanism. To some on the right, that's as bad as extending the Clinton dynasty.
That sums it up perfectly. Barr could be the GOP's Nader.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
That sums it up perfectly. Barr could be the GOP's Nader.
Except that he's probably more credible!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
I'm a registered Libertarian, but as of now I'm supporting McCain. Barr has some ideas I can go along with ... however, he comes across as a flip flopper to me. He voted for the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, but now opposes them. Sounds a little like John Kerry!

I also don't go along with Barr's support of the Defense of Marriage Act. The Federal government should never be involved in passing laws that should be left up to the states. Here again is why I question Barr's switch to Libertarian. If he was a true Libertarian, he would strongly oppose any kind of Federal legislation on trying to "save" tradtional marriage. We don't need any candidates who pander to the religious right.

Until we get a true Libertarian choice for President (such as Michael Badnarik) who is a strong fiscal conservative, but more liberal on social issues, I will be voting for McCain. If you look at McCain's record, he can be described as somewhat of a Libertarian ... that is, in favor of cutting taxes AND spending. The Bushies are willing to cut taxes, yet spend government money beyond belief!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:31 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm a registered Libertarian, but as of now I'm supporting McCain. Barr has some ideas I can go along with ... however, he comes across as a flip flopper to me. He voted for the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, but now opposes them. Sounds a little like John Kerry!
I read an article a couple months ago about this. Barr thought he was doing what was right. He has stated that he made mistakes and wished he had voted differently. He's not perfect, but he admits his mistakes when they occur.

There's a lot of troubling things with Barr. I liked him at first as an alternative to Ron Paul. I would only vote for him if Paul went third party and brought him on as VP. There aren't any good Libertarians running, IMO.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Bobb Barr used to be my Congressman here. While I generally disdain conservatives and do not agree with him on lots of things, he is one of the very few so called conservatives I had any respect for at all and I actually did vote for him (his opponet was a fake farmer). The reason is because he is a real principled conservative and not a corporate conservative as about 95% of the so called conservatives are. He doesn't believe in things like corporate welfare, corporate bailouts and "bridges to nowhere" that Republicans so love to support. And he actually believes in budgetary discipline in that, if a program is worth having, we should pay for it and not send the bill to our grand kids. How many Republicans do you know like that?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He doesn't believe in things like corporate welfare, corporate bailouts and "bridges to nowhere" that Republicans so love to support. And he actually believes in budgetary discipline in that, if a program is worth having, we should pay for it and not send the bill to our grand kids. How many Republicans do you know like that?
Not many my friend, not many. Perhaps my own congressman, a Republican, comes close. He'll likely be the only republican I'll vote for this year, with the exception of county commissioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections