Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times

Advertisements

It's not enough for me.....but don't have my rose colored glasses on today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
What would be enough for you? if all politicians only stated that everyone is happy and all is well everywhere in the US. Heaven forbid Obama, Clinton, or McCain speak to us like we are adults and acknowledge that there are some real problems in this country that need to be addressed.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Huh?? Who's not an adult?

Last edited by lilypad; 04-12-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
I am from PA and he didn't insult me. One thing I know for a fact is that PA is hardly perfect and in fact deeply flawed. Especially in my area. The coal miner mentality is the ruleing mentality. Havn't mined coal in 50 years but damn if that mentality isn't still alive and well.
Whats the mentality? My daddy did it that way so I have to do it that way.
My daddy voted this way so I have too. Change is to be shunned and feared. Look foward only to the end of your nose but no further. Vote for the same corrupt politicians no matter what because if we don't things might change.
I am no Obama supporter but no doubt in my mind there is nothing he could have said that PA wouldn't have been insulted by.
The curse of being a commonwealth...

Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
I'm glad at least one of the three actually recognizes that Americans are frustrated and unhappy.

The other two apparently have on their rosy color glasses, think all is fine with jobs leaving the country and Hillary intends to give USA citizenship out to anyone in the world who wants it and there are simply no jobs for all those who will be coming.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
This is not outta context you people are amazingly ignorant. All the news channels have been saying this was a stupid statement. Are you people serious???
And all the news channels had been saying (up until Obama's surge) Hillary Clinton was going to win the nomination. Who is the stupid one now?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM

413 posts, read 782,512 times
"Obama was just speaking the truth."
All candidates are jokes, and Obama is the biggest joke out there.

Clinton portrays herself as a conservative liberal, McCain himself as a moderate republican, and Obama ... as a liberal version of the Messiah, bringing change in people's lives.

LOL.

http://www.iowapresidentialwatch.com/images/cartoons/EmptySuit-Md.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
WHAT honesty, Obamaphiles????? OK, I'm in a generous mood, so let's give him a pass on the "people get bitter when they lose their jobs" part and assume everyone who has lost their jobs in PA is bitter. (not true, but that's the problem with making sweeping generalities.)

It's THIS part that is condescending and ridiculous: "they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment."

Let's unpack this, shall we? First off, he doesn't qualify it with the words "some" or "a few." He says that whole towns subscribe to this. And to what are they subscribing? "They cling to guns..." What the heck does that mean? They shoot people and things on a hair trigger to make themselves feel better? Please.

They cling "to religion." I would LOVE to hear his explanation of this one! Specifically what religion(s)? Does he have a problem with the churches in these "small towns" or one or two in particular? Newsflash, Obama. Many people go to church through thick and thin and their faith is a bedrock in their lives. It doesn't depend on an economic downturn.

The irony here, though, is that he justifies all of the nasty speech at HIS church in a BIG city because, oh, well, they're fighting the injustices from slavery and they do so much good in the community! YET, he mocks the faith of people in small towns in Pennsylvania and basically calls their religion a crutch. This is unreal!

Next, we have them clinging "to antipathy to people who aren't like them..." Really. So, now they're all bigots (yes, that's what "antipathy to people who aren't like them" means) because of the economy? Another newsflash to Obama -- small towns in Western Pennsylvania where I grew up are very diverse with a sizable population of African-Americans. The economy hits ALL of the people and black unemployment is most often higher than white unemployment. No one is blaming the other -- they're all in the same boat!

The "anti-immigrant" sentiment really made me laugh. Again, he knows NOTHING about Pennsylvania. This is an area in which many of the people are second and third generation immigrants from Germany, Italy, Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc. When I was a child (and I would be a second-generation American on one side whose maternal grandmother came from Czechoslovakia), we had ethnic neighborhoods, churches and social clubs. Heh, my father was English but he joined "The Italian Home" social club so we could go there for dinners and events. Folks there remember all too well when their ethnic group was discriminated against several decades ago and they're not keen to do that to other immigrants.

The only phrase that has some truth is the one about "anti-trade sentiment." But, hello! People in the BIG cities are angry about the trade agreements, too. What industry has it hit harder than automotive, and that's not confined to PA. NAFTA has benefitted some states in the Southwest but I think EVERYONE agrees it needs to be revisited and revamped.

One last problem -- Obama said this stuff to a group of wealthy contributers in urban California. WHY is he ragging on small-town Pennsylvanians to big-city Californians? That's really insensitive and has no place in fund-raising. Is he trying to play groups against each other by exaggerating differences? I sure hope not.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Obama speaks the truth and are we so used to lying politicians that when somebody smacks us in the face with a reality we criticize him?
Post of the day.

People in this country have become so child-like that we dislike being told the truth about ourselves. This may not bode well with Obama on some fronts, but hopefully there are enough mature citizens out there who will actually listen and make accurate judgments.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Post of the day.

People in this country have become so child-like that we dislike being told the truth about ourselves. This may not bode well with Obama on some fronts, but hopefully there are enough mature citizens out there who will actually listen and make accurate judgments.
Have you ever LIVED in Pennsylvania or even VISITED a small town in Pennsylvania? If not, how do YOU know he's "speaking the truth" about them?

Another example of extreme arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections