Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times

Advertisements

I am not better off. In the last 8 years we have become targets of terrorist attacks, our civil liberties have been curtailed, our gas prices have risen, our relationships with foreign governments has been damaged, we have put ourselves in major national debt, we are beholden to China in a way we never were before. Naw, I am not better off at all. Do I make more money, sure, but I had to move three times to do so, so I had to give up family and friends to afford to put my kids through college, etc, and I did. But that does not make me better off, just keeping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryduck View Post
How many trillons are we in debt now? Better off tell me how. Almost 72 years old and the man still can not be honest with the American Public.
If you only use one measure to "are you better off" you will never have an accurate answer.

I personally am better off. Then again 8 years ago I was still living at home.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 PM

540 posts, read 962,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I am not better off. In the last 8 years we have become targets of terrorist attacks, our civil liberties have been curtailed, our gas prices have risen, our relationships with foreign governments has been damaged, we have put ourselves in major national debt, we are beholden to China in a way we never were before. Naw, I am not better off at all. Do I make more money, sure, but I had to move three times to do so, so I had to give up family and friends to afford to put my kids through college, etc, and I did. But that does not make me better off, just keeping up.

We've been targets for terrorist attacks for a lot longer than 8 years - we just commemorated the 25th anniversary of the first suicide bombing of American citizens – it’s just closer to home now, and we are doing what is necessary to prevent it from happening again. Some civil liberties may have been curtailed (not nearly what the media would like to claim), but the checks and balances of our great constitution are working that out in the courts and Congress. Gas prices rising will cause short-term pain, but maybe it will flush out some good old fashioned American ingenuity to get us off our addiction to oil.

What foreign governments have our relationships been damaged with? I keep hearing that our standing in the world has been decimated. I don't buy it. We've always had people and nations that hated us. We're the worlds only super power - it's only natural that we wouldn't be loved by all.

I do agree that something needs to be done with our monetary policy so that we aren't so beholden to the Chinese. That being said, they are as dependant on us.

I understand that it sucks to have to be away from friends and family, but I respect the fact that you have taken charge of your life and done what needs to be done for your family. It always amazes me when I hear people in areas with high unemployment that complain about not having a job, but refuse to consider getting a better education, retraining, or moving to a better job market.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
We have been in their sights for far longer than 8 years.

We have always been. Does anyone buy american made goods anymore?

Is that not what the middle class is always been about?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Default Compassion for others...

I am better off,too. We should count our blessings and have compassion for those less fortunate. This country did not have this astronomical debt eight years ago or a war that should never have happened. The housing market is still taking a nose dive and most signs
are pointing to a recession. The price of food is climbing by leaps and bounds. Gas pices ?
This was not happening eight years ago and we as a country are not better off but on a major decline due to the current administration.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
only the rich and the delusional are better off

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM

540 posts, read 962,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I am better off,too. We should count our blessings and have compassion for those less fortunate. This country did not have this astronomical debt eight years ago or a war that should never have happened. The housing market is still taking a nose dive and most signs
are pointing to a recession. The price of food is climbing by leaps and bounds. Gas pices ?
This was not happening eight years ago and we as a country are not better off but on a major decline due to the current administration.
This country has had astranomical debt since WWII. It got worse over the last eight years, but this country was hit hard by outside factors over the last eight years.

I'll let history judge Iraq.

The housing market grew way to fast over the last several years, as did the economy - recessions are a part of life. We'll get through this one just like we have every other recession.

Food prices are high because of world demand (and a little because of ethanol) - is it Bush's fault that India and China are eating more? How about Congress's for pushing a failed ethanol plan?

If we are worse off than we were eight years ago, it isn't because of the administration, it's because some Americans have lost their way and forgotten how to deal with adversity.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
In all fairness our country has gone through WAY to MUCH to try and compare us then and know. While yes this administration had so big screw ups you have to look in the mirror for some blame.

We buy overseas products because they are cheaper.

We (not I but many) bought houses we could not afford and took out many credit cards we could not afford.

As for food cost look at the pump. Also it is the greedy making the price rise. Why are investors still putting money in oil. Thats right the want to make a quick buck. Our greed is slowly bringing us down.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
only the rich and the delusional are better off
Im not rich nor delusional and I'am better off. Bitter much?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz741 View Post
yes i was better off at least gas was low then....and we werent at war.... f*king republicans
Look through history before you say idiotic things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections