Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM

270 posts, read 526,963 times

Advertisements

My question is why do people refuse to acknowledge they may be wrong? Even at the expense of hurting their own country. I admit that I WAS an ardent Hillary Clinton supporter. I acted like many of the people on both sides act now. Then I really stopped and looked at these people and realized that neither one is worth voting for. Obama fanatics will not look at his elitism nor his associations with known terrorists. Yet they will acknowledge that Bill Clinton pardonned a couple. Obamanites refuse to see Obama's relationship with Reverend Wright as detremental, even though Obama has said that Wright is his mentor and spiritual advisor. (I don't want anyone in the White House who has a mentor like that). On the other hand Wright was invited to the White House when the Clinton's were there. Obamaniacs think that it is no big deal to refuse to wear a lapel pin (flag) and it's ok to refuse to put your hand on your heart during the National Anthem. I don't want someone in the White House who has that little reguard for our national symbols. It shows me that they are not patriotic. On the other hand there have been many times that I have seen Hillary without a flag. (She doesn't refuse to wear one though) Heck I don't wear a flag everywhere I go either, I wouldn't mind it though. Obama says one thing and means another, Clinton lies about being shot at. Both candidates will say anything to get the vote. Thank goodness I was not able to vote in Nevada caucuses (I am independent) It is a shame that people are so caught up in the hype that they are blinded by what these people are all about. I truely don't think that they have your or my best interests in mind. (By the way I am not a McCain fan either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,792 times
blah blah blah OLD NEWS, i hope they run fresher stories in NOV, or we get bored

If you want an angel for Prez then you be waiting a long time.
You got a moron for prez NOW, any monkey will be refreshing

Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,281 times
Unfortunately, voting is usually done by voting for the less of two evils. This election seems to have two very different personalities with similar platforms with very staunch support on each side. I still support Hillary but if she doesn't get the nomination, I may just not vote. For all the talk of Hillary being polarizing, I feel that Obama is actually the more polarizing of the two with all his race and elitist crap. McCain is just another Bush with a different name. It's great that so many people are taking the election seriously but it's really just gotten bad and I'm over it.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
My question is why do people refuse to acknowledge they may be wrong? Even at the expense of hurting their own country. I admit that I WAS an ardent Hillary Clinton supporter. I acted like many of the people on both sides act now. Then I really stopped and looked at these people and realized that neither one is worth voting for. Obama fanatics will not look at his elitism nor his associations with known terrorists. Yet they will acknowledge that Bill Clinton pardonned a couple. Obamanites refuse to see Obama's relationship with Reverend Wright as detremental, even though Obama has said that Wright is his mentor and spiritual advisor. (I don't want anyone in the White House who has a mentor like that). On the other hand Wright was invited to the White House when the Clinton's were there. Obamaniacs think that it is no big deal to refuse to wear a lapel pin (flag) and it's ok to refuse to put your hand on your heart during the National Anthem. I don't want someone in the White House who has that little reguard for our national symbols. It shows me that they are not patriotic. On the other hand there have been many times that I have seen Hillary without a flag. (She doesn't refuse to wear one though) Heck I don't wear a flag everywhere I go either, I wouldn't mind it though. Obama says one thing and means another, Clinton lies about being shot at. Both candidates will say anything to get the vote. Thank goodness I was not able to vote in Nevada caucuses (I am independent) It is a shame that people are so caught up in the hype that they are blinded by what these people are all about. I truely don't think that they have your or my best interests in mind. (By the way I am not a McCain fan either)

I guess my question would be what can we do if all 3 are bad? One of those 3 are going to win so we are going to have to live with it.

To change the party system will take a lot of time & energy but in the meantime I'd think we have to work with what we have unitl the change is fully integrated into our society.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM

270 posts, read 526,963 times
I fully understand that one of the three will win. Most likely Obama or McCain but unlike some Obama supporters I can't discount Clinton. You never know what may come up in the next week or so. But my question is this, does anyone else really look at the candidates and see that maybe the one they are so fanatical towards is not really that great person they think they are? I did that with Hillary. Or are these people so caught up in the moment that they are blinded by the candidates?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Because they vote for the person that will give them a advantage in many cases regurdless of what else they stand for. I think that they know that don't realy push for all the promises they campaign on.Kind of like the report that a Obama representive went to canada to reassure them that Obama wasn't really serious about NAFTA statements. Hillary supporting NAFTA and now saying she is against it.I highly doubt anyone thniks that we can withdraw from the world economy like that without real diadvantages.IMO it is to satisfy the people that haven't done well in the world economy like the manufacturing labor areas.If you look peoples retirement and other savings invested in the markets would be in real problems if it were not for their foreign sales now.Ford actually showed a profit because of foreign sales.That is also why I was not shiocked taht no candidate would say he/she would have all trops out oif iraq by the end of the first term in teh first debate and now their is more talk about a lingering presents in Iraq for years to some.Kind of reminds you of the advisors sent into Vietnam;then the need to send regualr combat troops was started. Willwe send tropps to recue the lingering presents and if it is safe to leave and not important why stay at all.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
I fully understand that one of the three will win. Most likely Obama or McCain but unlike some Obama supporters I can't discount Clinton. You never know what may come up in the next week or so. But my question is this, does anyone else really look at the candidates and see that maybe the one they are so fanatical towards is not really that great person they think they are? I did that with Hillary. Or are these people so caught up in the moment that they are blinded by the candidates?
Well, you said that you did it yourself too so it happens. People may just get really excited about their choice and support them. Maybe in a sence they become like family where you support them no matter what because they will disappoint at some time. That is a guarantee because no one can possibly please everyone all the time.

So I don't think people are as blind as you may think, they may just feel that their candidate is the best choice and will support them till the end. Is that fanatical? I don't think so...There are some fanatical supporters on all sided and it gets a lot worse than supporting their candidate fully.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because they vote for the person that will give them a advantage in many cases regurdless of what else they stand for.
I think this is a good point...we see it in campaings and why people believe their candidate will do for them, because its omething in their message that says 'im going to help you!'

Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
And be accused of "flip-flopping"? You know, when the facts show that your opinions are wrong, the smart thing to do would be to change your opinions...something Bush could learn from.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,787 times
There is no way to find everything that you are looking for personally in a candidate for president. The most important thing is to find the person that has the best interest of the entire country as their number one concern, I think that looking for someone who is everything to all people is a mistake and that is what usually causes politicians to become something that they are not. Look at everyone closely, not just the sound clips are played on the "news", and see what their policies are on the issues that matter the most, and who will move our country in the best direction. I do also feel that trustworthiness and authenticity are very important in a president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections