Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Uh,..thanks Asheville Native. But since you want to answer questions specifically for other people, here's one for you. How much does a pic id cost? Free, if you can't afford one, no?
i hope so, and i hope Obama uses his 50 state strategy to pull these people up from the bootstraps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
i think it hard to pay for ID when you are trying to find your next meal or money for rent.

Its not like the wallstreet idiots begging for more government handouts and help when their stocks fall though the roof; they will have their mansion and meals
A picture ID is free if you do not have the means to pay for it.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
A picture ID is free if you do not have the means to pay for it.
In Virginia a photo ID is 10, and must be renewed in person every five years. The state of Virginia reserves the right to refuse to issue a state ID if your appearance is suspect or they find outstanding warrants on a drivers license (neither thing that would keep you from voting.) In addition, you must be registered with Selective Service to get a Virginia ID even though it is a federal requirement and voting is a states right and you do not need to be registered with SS to vote. There are no documented waivers for fees.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
In Virginia a photo ID is 10, and must be renewed in person every five years. The state of Virginia reserves the right to refuse to issue a state ID if your appearance is suspect or they find outstanding warrants on a drivers license (neither thing that would keep you from voting.) In addition, you must be registered with Selective Service to get a Virginia ID even though it is a federal requirement and voting is a states right and you do not need to be registered with SS to vote. There are no documented waivers for fees.

Virginia accepts all of the following for voter id:

Virginia voter identification card, Valid Virginia driver's license, Military ID Any Federal, state or local government-issued ID, Employer issued photo ID card , Social Security card

And if you don't have these you sign an affirmation of identity form and still vote.

Virginia State Board of Elections : Voter ID Requirements in Virginia

Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Virginia accepts all of the following for voter id:

Virginia voter identification card, Valid Virginia driver's license, Military ID Any Federal, state or local government-issued ID, Employer issued photo ID card , Social Security card

And if you don't have these you sign an affirmation of identity form and still vote.

Virginia State Board of Elections : Voter ID Requirements in Virginia
I had already discussed that earlier. Your point was that state IDs were free. They are not. I am perfectly happy with the Virginia method that DOES NOT require a photo ID. The discussion here is that it is good to have an ID to stop all sorts of horrors.

Last I heard we had a fine and equitable election at primary time. Thus, the necessity of a photo ID is nonsensical.

Thanks for establishing that for everyone with your research!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
I had already discussed that earlier. Your point was that state IDs were free. They are not. I am perfectly happy with the Virginia method that DOES NOT require a photo ID. The discussion here is that it is good to have an ID to stop all sorts of horrors.

Last I heard we had a fine and equitable election at primary time. Thus, the necessity of a photo ID is nonsensical.

Would you be happy if Virginia DID NOT require a photo ID to purchase alcohol, tobacco or to cash a check?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:

The point is that the states that require a photo id also provide for those that can't afford it to get one free. It is not free in Virginia, because it is not a requirement. If they change that, I am sure they will faciliate the poor in getting one, which is something they need anyway...so it is a win/win.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The state of Georgia was willing to go out to the poor and give them free ID, but the left still opposed that. What was the reason in that situation?
I'll quote myself because this has still not gotten a response and is an important question.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Here's where it gets circular. We have authority over the government. Do we own them or do they own us?
We can only have authority over them if we have something they want...like money or power. Since only certain facets of American society have those, only those certain facets can be said to "own" government.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:05 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I'm a big believer in self-reliance and usually feel the less government legislation the better. That said, I'm no Thoreau. If we don't like the government then doing something, anything, i better then just sitting back and complaining. I agree, I don't like any of the major 3 candidates that well. My candidate, Ron Paul, has been kept out of the running by the media and by the fact that he is before his time I feel. So surely, out of Hillary, Obama, McCain, and Paul you feel that one of those candidates would slightly better for the country than the others?
No, the only person that would be acceptable to me...is ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections