Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Oh - and I forgot to add something. I have personally heard a lot of white voters stating in the last week that they were leaning to Obama, but they have been quite disturbed about the whole Rev. Wright debacle and also were very turned off by the way Michelle Obama handled questions about Wright in her CNN interview. So now people are saying they had been planning on voting for Obama but they are re-thinking it. It seems Rev. Wright has had a very big impact on how people think here (and the people I have spoken w/ are in the "higher education" group that supposedly leans towards Obama). But I also talked w/ two blue collar workers who said they are not happy w/ Hillary, either. So I asked them - if you don't like Clinton or Obama - then who are you going to vote for in the primary? And they said - well they were going to vote for Clinton b/c they figure if they vote for her, McCain will defeat her in the Fall (and they are going to vote for McCain in the Fall, even tho they are registered DEMs).

So all the pundits can try to project the results for NC, but I am going to sit back and see how it all comes down - cause I honestly do not think anyone has a grip on what is going on here, LOL. Not the candidates, not the pundits and in many cases, not even the voters themselves - as both the registered DEMs and INDs are not sure who they are backing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,052 times
good post anifani821 and I think you are on target. I am hearing the same thing here. There has been a big increase in Hillary supporters since the Wright story broke. Remember, this is the Bible Belt and people were shocked and upset that Obama listened to Wright's filth and racist theology and did nothing for 20 years! To many voters that shows he has a weak character.

I honestly don't think the polls mean a thing. This could go either way. There are so many factors the pollsters seem to be ignoring which could turn the tide either way.

Obama's support is mostly black. People watching early voting say black turnout is very high. That would seem to work in Obamas favor.

There are so many local and statewide races that are going to be a factor. In Mecklengurg County popular Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory is running for Gov. on the Republican ticket. He usually gets huge support from Democrats and Independents. Independents must choose which parties primary they vote in. If they vote in the Democratic primary so they can vote for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton they will not be able to vote for McCrory. If they vote ion the Repub primary so they can vote for McCrory they won't be able to vote for the Democratic Presidential canidates.

In my own county there are 7 Repubs running for 2 Commissioners seats. There are no Democrats running so whoever wins the primary wins the election. It has been a wild and wooly campaign with charges flying, negative newspaper and radio ads and sign stealing. It's a lot more interesting than the Presidential Primary. One of the candidates, remember they are all Republicans, "insulted" another candidate at a debate by saying the heard the first guy was "secretly supporting Obama and his preacher". They had to call a deputy in the room because it almost broke out into a fight.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The discussion here has been that many people are saying they will vote for a particular candidate in public (or where queried in polls) but may not actually vote that way when they get in the booth, LOL. NC residents are like that.

So it will be anyone's guess what is going to happen here.
We'll tell anyone which church we go to, what size our latest bowel movements were, and how long it's been since we've had an orgasm, but don't ask us about our true political feelings. Those, we keep near and dear to our hearts. That's one reason canvassing does not work for NC.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
There are so many local and statewide races that are going to be a factor. In Mecklengurg County popular Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory is running for Gov. on the Republican ticket. He usually gets huge support from Democrats and Independents. Independents must choose which parties primary they vote in. If they vote in the Democratic primary so they can vote for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton they will not be able to vote for McCrory. If they vote ion the Repub primary so they can vote for McCrory they won't be able to vote for the Democratic Presidential canidates.
That was my original point. The Independents are going to have to decide which race is more important to them. I think a lot more will vote in the Rep primary just to have a say about the governor's spot. Will it be enough to swing the state to Hillary? I don't know. But we can probably rule out Republicans voting on the Democratic ballot. They like McCrory and Fred Smith. It's going to be very interesting news coverage Tuesday night.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
We'll tell anyone which church we go to, what size our latest bowel movements were, and how long it's been since we've had an orgasm, but don't ask us about our true political feelings. Those, we keep near and dear to our hearts. That's one reason canvassing does not work for NC.
Truer words were never spoken!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 AM

If you're in the 4th district, Walter Jones is running against a neocon. He has endorsed Ron Paul and vice versa.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post

In my own county there are 7 Repubs running for 2 Commissioners seats. There are no Democrats running so whoever wins the primary wins the election. It has been a wild and wooly campaign with charges flying, negative newspaper and radio ads and sign stealing. It's a lot more interesting than the Presidential Primary. One of the candidates, remember they are all Republicans, "insulted" another candidate at a debate by saying the heard the first guy was "secretly supporting Obama and his preacher". They had to call a deputy in the room because it almost broke out into a fight. (This is disturbing, It's very sad that you were there to witness such ignorance)
As an Independent I've found it disturbing that you can't vote for Pat and/or one of the Democrats.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Hmm...Interesting. I wonder if things will be different since the Demographic has changed so much. This will be an interesting phenomena to observe, particularly with Union County and Mecklenburg attributing huge growth to the region.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:17 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,332,176 times
ok, so, I'm chipl's wife, and I live in NC. I am a registered independent, and assumed I wasn't able to vote in the presidential primary. For those of you that live in NC, am I able to vote in the primary, and is there anything special I would need to do prior to going to the polls? (as long as it doesn't involve changing my registration status that is). Let me know, as I would like to be able to participate if possible.
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Thumbs up YES - Independents can vote in the NC Democratic Primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipL View Post
ok, so, I'm chipl's wife, and I live in NC. I am a registered independent, and assumed I wasn't able to vote in the presidential primary. For those of you that live in NC, am I able to vote in the primary, and is there anything special I would need to do prior to going to the polls? (as long as it doesn't involve changing my registration status that is). Let me know, as I would like to be able to participate if possible.
Thanks!
Yes. You are allowed to vote in the primary. Go to your local voting area and early vote, it's easy, the folks are nice, and will answer any questions and concerns you have.

Almost forgot - No there isn't anything you need to do prior to showing up. (Maybe grab a bottled water, some of the lines have begun to grow)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections