Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:13 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Advertisements

Source: CNN

(CNN) — Even though Rep. Ron Paul has never officially ended his long shot presidential bid, he’s ready to weigh in on the three remaining major candidates for the White House.

In an interview on The Situation Room, Paul told Wolf Blitzer that endorsing Sen. John McCain, the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, “would really confuse” his supporters “because they know we have a precise program and we have to defend that program.”

Having a Republican win the upcoming presidential election is “secondary” for Paul who is more interested in defending the Constitution, having the country go in what he considers the right direction, having a sound currency, and achieving balanced budgets. Paul parts ways with McCain over McCain’s support for the Iraq war, his approach to U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East and his willingness to spend federal dollars to support military operations in Iraq.

Instead, Paul favors Sen. Barack Obama because of positions on foreign policy. “But that’s doesn’t mean that’s an endorsement,” Paul quickly added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

(CNN) — Even though Rep. Ron Paul has never officially ended his long shot presidential bid, he’s ready to weigh in on the three remaining major candidates for the White House.

In an interview on The Situation Room, Paul told Wolf Blitzer that endorsing Sen. John McCain, the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, “would really confuse” his supporters “because they know we have a precise program and we have to defend that program.”

Having a Republican win the upcoming presidential election is “secondary” for Paul who is more interested in defending the Constitution, having the country go in what he considers the right direction, having a sound currency, and achieving balanced budgets. Paul parts ways with McCain over McCain’s support for the Iraq war, his approach to U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East and his willingness to spend federal dollars to support military operations in Iraq.

Instead, Paul favors Sen. Barack Obama because of positions on foreign policy. “But that’s doesn’t mean that’s an endorsement,” Paul quickly added.
Why isn't Ron Paul the nominee? He seems to have many of the traditional values of the Conservative Republicans.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 AM

439 posts, read 605,942 times
Ron Paul is not the nominee because not enough republicans voted for him. I can not believe that Hucklebee did better then Paul. I like some of Paul's Ideas. I think the biggest issue was that he is against the War. Sometimes, most of the time, Honest doesn't work in the Old Washington Ways. You have to lie and cheat to be noticed. So old so old. I think if he had been the nominee that it would be a closer General Election. The way it is with McCain or McSame I think in November you will have a Democrat in the White House.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryduck View Post
Ron Paul is not the nominee because not enough republicans voted for him. I can not believe that Hucklebee did better then Paul. I like some of Paul's Ideas. I think the biggest issue was that he is against the War. Sometimes, most of the time, Honest doesn't work in the Old Washington Ways. You have to lie and cheat to be noticed. So old so old. I think if he had been the nominee that it would be a closer General Election. The way it is with McCain or McSame I think in November you will have a Democrat in the White House.
I like many of Ron Paul's policies and some I don't. The thing about Ron Paul is that he wants change in the Republican party. I wish we had more maverick politicians like Ron Paul in both parties. Then and only then will we have change in Washington DC.

You are so right that in Washington DC you have to lie and cheat to get noticed, not only that but you have to do this just to get your foot in the door as witnessed by the 3 we are left with now. So sad!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:46 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

Note that Ron Paul said that having a republican win the white house was 'secondary'......that is a true public servant, not this 'unify for the sake of the party' crap the gop and dnc have been shoving down our threats for decades.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Note that Ron Paul said that having a republican win the white house was 'secondary'......that is a true public servant, not this 'unify for the sake of the party' crap the gop and dnc have been shoving down our threats for decades.
Amen, Amen, Amen!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
I for one hope he DOES NOT endorse McCain. Our current mode of electioneering is to try to convict your opponent by pointing to outrageousness of some of his/her supporters.

Given some of the racist positions taken by Cong. Paul, Senator McCain does not need this baggage.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 AM

439 posts, read 605,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I for one hope he DOES NOT endorse McCain. Our current mode of electioneering is to try to convict your opponent by pointing to outrageousness of some of his/her supporters.

Given some of the racist positions taken by Cong. Paul, Senator McCain does not need this baggage.
So instead the USA Citizens get the same old Washington. At least Paul and Obama are speaking out on this issue.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:

Yeah, it would be troublesome for McCain to have an honest person who speaks his mind support him. It would confuse his supporters into thinking he is flip flopping on his pandering, lying, manipulative, double talk express. Lets hope for McCain's sake that only the regular old DC yes-men support him so people will not be confused.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
Quote:

As much as you'd like to blame Paul for his name appearing on a racist article, he's not a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections