Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 05:35 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
700,000 hundred thousand fewer voters than in general election most Republicans.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/lower-...senate-runoffs

Can't blame it all on Lin Wood ie why bother vote doesn't really count etc because run offs traditionally are lower but just enough are influenced or have their opinions reinforced the result is what you get. I can't believe the Georgia Republicans didn't get what losing the run offs could lead to. There's a leadership and strategy problem in the GOP Georgia.
There wasn’t a problem before Trump lost. There wasn’t a problem in the state election results.

The problem was too fold, two not so great candidates and a Party that was being fractured by Trump’s attacks on the state Republican leaders, election process and the Mainstream Republican that is just fed up with the Trumpers.

This will be an issue in other states come 2022 as the Party seems unable to separate itself from the Cult and Q members. They will do fine in the House gerrymandered seats but they will suffer in the statewide races for the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 06:14 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I believe it was mentioned upthread but it bears repeating- Stacy Abrams' group also registered 100k new voters (with a huge portion being 18 year olds who hit voting age between Nov and January) between the general and the runoff. Georgia and Texas are the two R strongholds where demographics point not only to more Dem friendly transplants but huge numbers of young people who are aging into the eligible voter pool. With them being more minority than older voters, being centered around large metros, and young people trending away from the Trump brand of Republicanism, these small quick bursts are likely to be tipping points in the same way rural and blue collar voters were for Rs in 2014 and 2020.

It should be noted that even in first round voting, Purdue had a less than two point lead and was pulled below 50%. He was the best performing R in the state. Ga elections will likely be based entirely on turnout for the next half decade. The automatic R advantage is no longer a guarantee.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I believe it was mentioned upthread but it bears repeating- Stacy Abrams' group also registered 100k new voters (with a huge portion being 18 year olds who hit voting age between Nov and January) between the general and the runoff. Georgia and Texas are the two R strongholds where demographics point not only to more Dem friendly transplants but huge numbers of young people who are aging into the eligible voter pool. With them being more minority than older voters, being centered around large metros, and young people trending away from the Trump brand of Republicanism, these small quick bursts are likely to be tipping points in the same way rural and blue collar voters were for Rs in 2014 and 2020.

It should be noted that even in first round voting, Purdue had a less than two point lead and was pulled below 50%. He was the best performing R in the state. Ga elections will likely be based entirely on turnout for the next half decade. The automatic R advantage is no longer a guarantee.
This is a great take on the subject. I tried in vain to explain this to my republican friend. The south can be flipped blue if black folks come out to vote en masse. States like GA, NC and SC don't have a Stacey yet but they will soon figure out their own power.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:05 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
This is a great take on the subject. I tried in vain to explain this to my republican friend. The south can be flipped blue if black folks come out to vote en masse. States like GA, NC and SC don't have a Stacey yet but they will soon figure out their own power.
NC Democrats have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. I've said this before in other threads, but Cal Cunningham almost certainly would've beaten Thom Tillis if he had kept it in his pants. Many people on both sides despise Tillis. However, the memories of John Edwards are still pretty fresh in NC, and people weren't eager for a repeat.

Another thing that got to me was that NC state sen. Jeff Jackson was initially going to run for the Senate last year, but Schumer talked him out of it. Jackson is much more likeable than Cunningham and isn't as boneheaded. I wish Schumer had stayed out of it. I'm sure looking back that Schumer wishes he had also. At least Jackson is running for Burr's soon-to-be old seat next year.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:58 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
NC is a trickier state because it has a lower AA population than GA as well as fewer Asians and no huge LGBTQ magnate like Savannah and Atlanta. The Charlotte area that recently started flipping Dem because business minded voters are not aligning with Rs on social issues used to be an R area based on business interests (if that makes any sense.) This basically meant white NC voters had to go more Dem than white GA voters for the Democrats to keep it to a 1 point margin.

I'm from SC and we are going to remain an R stronghold because we do not have any dominant metros like Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh that have become the hallmark of most D states. We also tend to attract a lot of retirees and more conservatives in terms of people who migrate to the state. So while the transplants are tipping NC and Ga blue, they are actually keeping SC more red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections