Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do people decide what to vote?
mark their ballots according to what party they "are" 10 30.30%
vote the same party every time just like their parents and grandparents did 3 9.09%
vote for the best presidential candidate regardless of their party 13 39.39%
vote any party to be against the "worst" candidate 10 30.30%
say eeny meeny miney mo and put a mark where it lands 0 0%
say they voted but didn't 0 0%
don't bother to vote 1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:17 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times

Advertisements

I have read some threads about people who don't watch, read, or surf news because they know everything going on "out there". The thing is a majority of Americans are under-educated about anything outside their own state. Their world is very small. How do they make an educated choice?

Do you care if people vote without any facts or do you care at all?

Last edited by kitty61; 02-18-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I have read some threads about people who don't watch, read, or surf news because they know everything going on "out there". The thing is a majority of Americans are under-educated about anything outside their own state. Their world is very small. How do they make an educated choice?

Do you care if people vote without any facts or do you care at all?
I have enough trouble making up my own mind.. and its none of my business how anyone else votes.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
After this last presidential election, I didn't like any of the candidates. I don't go based off party, strictly what is best for the country at that time.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
I'm not sure where I fit in the poll, but I absolutely refuse to ever vote for a Republican - period, for any office, under any circumstances whatsoever. Any other party, or even an independent, I'll at least consider, but anyone admitting to being a Republican? Never.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I'm not sure where I fit in the poll, but I absolutely refuse to ever vote for a Republican - period, for any office, under any circumstances whatsoever. Any other party, or even an independent, I'll at least consider, but anyone admitting to being a Republican? Never.
Thiiiiiiiiiiis x 1,000,000!

I’ve absolutely seen enough of them to know I’ll never again place a vote for a republican. (Yes, I have in the past.)

Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I have voted Republican a few times, Democratic more then a few times and third party a few times. I'm basically a progressive, but just left of center. I hate extremists on either side.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
I was born in the deep South. In a baptist church environment. I came to my political beliefs on my own.

My beliefs align with the Democratic Party and its platform. I have yet to see a single Republican candidate who's ideals align more with me than the Democrat on the other side of the ballot from them.

If you have a clear idea of what you believe in, the same is true regardless of what side you are on. (meaning if you are a Republican, then every rep is better than every Dem. )

Because of this, it is odd to me that people attack others for voting down party lines.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM

753 posts, read 843,371 times
Born and raised in the Bible Belt. Will never (ever) vote for a Republican.

The GOP here is for American Sharia Laws and basically, like living in a theocracy.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Another southern bible belt raised now non-religious person.

I will never vote for an R as long as it is the orange maniac's party and as long as they deny science and facts.

If the R party has an intellectual rebirth in the future then maybe I'll consider them again.

As it is now I'll be left with the choice of Ds, or independent parties.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I'm a registered Republican, but I vote for a lot of Democrats. I've never voted a straight party ticket in my life, and never expect I will. There are always people in both parties I think will do a better job than their opponent, and I always vote for the person, not the party.

When that person has the courage to defy his party once in a while to stick with his people's best interest, I can easily forgive some of what he says. It's what he does that counts for me.

But there are times when a new candidate's words expose how I expect their actions will be if elected. The worst thing a candidate can do in my view is to have nothing he wants to stand on.

If they cannot say anything but generalities and spout beliefs, they won't get my vote. I want some plan of action and intent delivered to me as a voter. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect solid action, not political philosophy, from my politicians.

The philosophers tend to be a lazy bunch once elected, and sometimes cowardly. I don't want my representatives to be suck-ups to their higher party powers, and I don't want to have to try to micro-manage them.

I vote for them to serve me as best they can, keeping to their own best judgement as to whether it is on their constituents' behalf. The very last thing I want as a representative is one who is a slave to his party's line. If he does his best at serving his people, I really don't care if he is called a RINO or a DINO.

I already understand there will be times when a good representative may have to compromise to get something done for me. Something is always better than nothing, and something is often a start at better to come.

Symbolism is as empty as a bucket that has no bottom. It may be enough to win an election, but it won't ever carry the water where it's needed.

And I don't vote for robots, whether machines or alive. It's far better for me to see a failed attempt than no attempt at all. If my representatives do nothing but show up and vote along party lines every time without fail, they are complete failures in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections