Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 AM

439 posts, read 605,942 times

Advertisements

I liked Hillary's speech as well as Obama's. I truly feel that she means what she stated about unifying the party and working with and doing whatever it takes to get a democrat into the White House. Will her supporter let her down or will them help her with her quest even if she is not the nominee. I hope she will be able to convince them that its time to back the democratic party and by not doing so will make all her efforts pointless. I think she will be able to accomplish this with the people that voted for her on the democratic issues instead of on gender or race. Grant you there will be a few that voted for her and Obama in these primaries that won't vote for either in a General that's just fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryduck View Post
I liked Hillary's speech as well as Obama's. I truly feel that she means what she stated about unifying the party and working with and doing whatever it takes to get a democrat into the White House. Will her supporter let her down or will them help her with her quest even if she is not the nominee. I hope she will be able to convince them that its time to back the democratic party and by not doing so will make all her efforts pointless. I think she will be able to accomplish this with the people that voted for her on the democratic issues instead of on gender or race. Grant you there will be a few that voted for her and Obama in these primaries that won't vote for either in a General that's just fact.
That is a VERY good point!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Listen and read her statement again. She is claiming that she has the popular vote lead and he has a majority of the elected delegates so they each have a lead. She is saying it is now up the party leadership to CHOOSE/SELECT a nominee. This will not be decided by anything other then the leaders in the backroom by her reckoning. If they CHOOSE Obama she will not have lost in the primaries and he will not have won. He will have been GIVEN the nomination instead of HER. They will have whatever reason for giving it to him and they will as leaders need to explain that. SHE made it clear that they will CHOOSE the next president whomever SHE is. So if the first WOMAN is not chosen it will not be because she was defeated but because the party CHOSE to give it to Obama for reasons they will need to explain about experience, ready the first day or whatever. Thats how I heard it and read it on second and third listens.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Listen and read her statement again. She is claiming that she has the popular vote lead and he has a majority of the elected delegates so they each have a lead. She is saying it is now up the party leadership to CHOOSE/SELECT a nominee. This will not be decided by anything other then the leaders in the backroom by her reckoning. If they CHOOSE Obama she will not have lost in the primaries and he will not have won. He will have been GIVEN the nomination instead of HER. They will have whatever reason for giving it to him and they will as leaders need to explain that. SHE made it clear that they will CHOOSE the next president whomever SHE is. So if the first WOMAN is not chosen it will not be because she was defeated but because the party CHOSE to give it to Obama for reasons they will need to explain about experience, ready the first day or whatever. Thats how I heard it and read it on second and third listens.
The reality is that neither candidate will get the nomination by elected delegates per the rules so whatever decision is made the super delegates will technically make that decision. Both have claims depending on the math that they should be the candidate. I am sure that this will force the Democrats to change the way that they select their candidate. At least I hope it does. It is quite a mess that I am sure nobody could have foreseen.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Exactly. She cannot bear to lose--this is her only way out.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I am not by any means a Hillary supporter but it was a very good speech. I am starting to feel a small amount of admiration for her, I said small amount.
You know, I despised her when this whole thing started, but lately I've been feeling some admiration for her too. It's hard for me to deal with. LOL.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,217 times
Default Hillary, please stop fighting for me !

I did not hear the entire speech, but this morning I heard some parts of it. The only problem that I am still having with her is that she keeps bringing up the whole MI & FL thing. It makes me starting yelling at the TV, and that is not normal.
Where was she when the DNC made the rule that we would not count?
She didn't care one bit until it became clear that she might actually need these votes, it's so insulting. I don't want her to fight for my vote now, it's too late. The rules were made before the game, the game has been played, and that's the end.
If she wants to use another excuse to stay in the race, fine, go for it, but leave the MI & FL voters out of it.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I did not hear the entire speech, but this morning I heard some parts of it. The only problem that I am still having with her is that she keeps bringing up the whole MI & FL thing. It makes me starting yelling at the TV, and that is not normal.
Where was she when the DNC made the rule that we would not count?
She didn't care one bit until it became clear that she might actually need these votes, it's so insulting. I don't want her to fight for my vote now, it's too late. The rules were made before the game, the game has been played, and that's the end.
If she wants to use another excuse to stay in the race, fine, go for it, but leave the MI & FL voters out of it.
Let me guess.......you are not from KY or WV. Great then!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Hillary seems like astrong woman, if the DNC hasn't MADE her get out of the election, what makes you think that they will MAKE her do anything else?

Maybe she realizes that coming together for the sake of the party and focusing on what the big picture should be (in her own words: making sure Democrats reclaim the White house) is what her focus should be on after the primaries, instead of harboring any ill feelings.

She has also said that her and Obama are more similar on the issues than McCain, again in an effort to try to keep the party together and make people realize that harboring any ill feelings will not solve anything in the long run.
Uh, hello, the DNC had their bigwigs announce repeatedly that she needs to leave the race MONTHS ago and the ONLY reason they stopped doing that was because the voters were getting angry and they were getting bad press.

Since she is running as a Democrat, there are certain expectations. But she owes the Party NO loyalty whatsoever, as far as many of us are concerned. And we hope she dumps the losers to "do a Lieberman." The only reason there is to run as the candidate of a major party is to get support from the party leadership and network. They threw Hillary under the bus as soon as the "cool, young, black guy" showed he could win a caucus and the aged hippy has-beens saw they could follow him around and claim relevance.

Hillary will have to be gracious and accommodating for a little while, like making an appearance at a company party you don't want to attend just so the bosses can see you were there. Then, you leave and do what you want.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Uh, hello, the DNC had their bigwigs announce repeatedly that she needs to leave the race MONTHS ago and the ONLY reason they stopped doing that was because the voters were getting angry and they were getting bad press.

Since she is running as a Democrat, there are certain expectations. But she owes the Party NO loyalty whatsoever, as far as many of us are concerned. And we hope she dumps the losers to "do a Lieberman." The only reason there is to run as the candidate of a major party is to get support from the party leadership and network. They threw Hillary under the bus as soon as the "cool, young, black guy" showed he could win a caucus and the aged hippy has-beens saw they could follow him around and claim relevance.

Hillary will have to be gracious and accommodating for a little while, like making an appearance at a company party you don't want to attend just so the bosses can see you were there. Then, you leave and do what you want.
You sound a little angry, so maybe this is why what you posted makes no sense to me. If you are saying she owes the party nothing then why woud she mention in her speeches about the party coming together? If she felt that she owed the party nothing she wouldn't do this.

Also, if she had to 'attend the party' as you say then she would have left the race when the big wigs were telling her to do so. She is doing what she feels is necessary to win the race.

Her actions so far have not seemed like she was doing what others wanted her to do.

So that brings me back to my original question:

If Hillary is saying to her supporters that voting McCain would be a grave error then why do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections