Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

I guess this is what we get for letting our suburbs sprawl out of control without any decent public transportation.
Exactly, the democrats and republicans - never mind that hocus-pocus - the US ruling class and the people could have done something since the 1970s, but they didn't.

Oil profit is king and the king will cling to power until the last drop ... of oil, of blood.

Pray for a Bill Gates in the energy field, we need a new invention, fast ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 AM

743 posts, read 2,068,806 times
Default Re: will someone please tell me what the Dems/Reps can do about the price of gas.

In response to the OP question: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Government should not try to act like a cartel since that is not what government is designed to do. It might end up making no change to the price of gas but blowing billions in federal budget trying to do something about it.

We shouldn't have to depend on government on this. We have the power to make changes to our lifestyles. Carpool, get a fuel-efficient vehicle, bike to work (if you live close enough), all these things are within our power to effect. Don't you realize that by doing any of these things, we the people are impact the revenue of oil, forcing oil companies to lower the price.

Remember how Gandhi strike against British taxation of salt? By showing the Indian people they can get it for free direct from the ocean.

Government involvement - doesn't matter if Dems or Reps - will only mess it up. The last government, namely CA Governor Gray Davis, tried to meddle in what is essentially a market crisis led to further deficit to state budget and recall of his job.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Prosecute and jail the speculators.
Most of the speculators do their work outside of the United States and woud not be subject to US law. In addition we are the ones championing Democracy and the free market throughout the world and the world is following suit. The base problem is increased world demand and our failure to develop our own increased supply.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Exactly, the democrats and republicans - never mind that hocus-pocus - the US ruling class and the people could have done something since the 1970s, but they didn't.

Oil profit is king and the king will cling to power until the last drop ... of oil, of blood.

Pray for a Bill Gates in the energy field, we need a new invention, fast ...
That new invention is within each of us. The ability to make energy wise decisions. I have met the enemy and it is parked in my neighbors driveway.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,011,793 times
What we need to do is explore alternative energy sources.

The era of oil for vehicles is coming to a close.

Gas prices might be going up at a rapid pace, but are still lower than prices in most European countries. Believe it or not, public transportation ridership has been DECLINING in Europe for decades, car ownership has risen substantially, and sprawl has greatly increased, as well.

The reality for some Americans is that they will no longer be able to drive pick-up trucks or SUV's everywhere they go. These gas prices will really provide reason for some people to budget their money in more realistic terms.

Don't expect the government to intervene. There are PLENTY of people who are still unphased by these gas prices. I drive a very large vehicle. My income allows me to continuing driving wherever I want to go without second thought. It won't be until everyone in this country is negatively affected by gas prices that something is done.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I don't care who is in charge, its getting to the point where I am going to have to move with in walking distance of my work to make it worth working there. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION. Do we need to regulate the oil companies, WHY ARE THEY GETTING AWAY WITH THIS...WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A SERIOUS MELTDOWN.
Your answer is part of the solution.

"have to move within walking distance of my work"..

If many people did this, demand would be lower and the price would go down. Thanks for your willingness to do your part, to offset the 200+ miles a day I'm traveling lately.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Prosecute and jail the speculators.
haha.. thanks for the laugh this morning.. Oooh you were serious, thats even funnier!!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,121,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Most of the speculators do their work outside of the United States and woud not be subject to US law. In addition we are the ones championing Democracy and the free market throughout the world and the world is following suit. The base problem is increased world demand and our failure to develop our own increased supply.
Get out your Nitroglycerine. I don't want you to have a heart attack...but, believe it or not you and I finally have found common ground!

World demand is at an all time high, especially in Asia. It's easy to blame the oil companies but they have to make a profit to stay in business.

There is plenty of oil within the boundries of the United States and off shore on the continential shelf. We have the technology to drill in deep ocean. We have the technology to drill deeper in the earth than ever before. Then why don't we drill and use the oil here in our own country?

The answer is the restrictive rules, laws, regulations and bans imposed by well meaning conservationists who are trying to protect the air, water and land from the dangers of pollution. Because of Federal, state and local laws and regulations, hundreds of millions of barrels of US oil cannot be touched.

It is known, for example that oil reserves exist on the Atlantic shelf off of the coasts of NC, SC, GA and the east coast of FL. Those coastlines are protected by both federal and state laws. Oil fields in TX and Ok cannot be expanded by law into areas where known reserves exist. In addition there are huge reserves in Alaska which cannot be drilled because they are covered by spring wetlands protected by Federal law.

The restrictions on drilling oil must be lifted or at least loosened so that careful, enviornmentally safe oil exploration and drilling may take place. No candidate has yet faced up to the "tree huggers". They are a big and powerful political group.

That's what could be done.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Get out your Nitroglycerine. I don't want you to have a heart attack...but, believe it or not you and I finally have found common ground!

World demand is at an all time high, especially in Asia. It's easy to blame the oil companies but they have to make a profit to stay in business.

There is plenty of oil within the boundries of the United States and off shore on the continential shelf. We have the technology to drill in deep ocean. We have the technology to drill deeper in the earth than ever before. Then why don't we drill and use the oil here in our own country?

The answer is the restrictive rules, laws, regulations and bans imposed by well meaning conservationists who are trying to protect the air, water and land from the dangers of pollution. Because of Federal, state and local laws and regulations, hundreds of millions of barrels of US oil cannot be touched.

It is known, for example that oil reserves exist on the Atlantic shelf off of the coasts of NC, SC, GA and the east coast of FL. Those coastlines are protected by both federal and state laws. Oil fields in TX and Ok cannot be expanded by law into areas where known reserves exist. In addition there are huge reserves in Alaska which cannot be drilled because they are covered by spring wetlands protected by Federal law.

The restrictions on drilling oil must be lifted or at least loosened so that careful, enviornmentally safe oil exploration and drilling may take place. No candidate has yet faced up to the "tree huggers". They are a big and powerful political group.

That's what could be done.
We are closer then you might realize. I must confess I like messing with people sometimes. Oooops I gave myself away

The tree huggers are part of why we are screwed.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,438 times
It does **** me off that the oil companies keep ringing up record profits while the rest of us suffer because of these price increases, and that is one area I'd like to see the government regulate.

But the fact is that there is only so much oil out there and until someone comes up with an alternative fuel for cars and planes, we are going to continue to see the price rise. At the micro level, buy a high-mileage vehicle, move closer to work, etc. And prepare for the price of pretty much everything you buy to keep rising.

There is no quick fix that the federal government, under any administration, can put in place to resolve this. Maybe a Manhattan Project-type thing to develop a viable alternative fuel for cars (the auto companies, for whatever reason, don't seem to be inclined to do this). But as long as we depend on oil, the laws of supply and demand say that prices are going up.

And lifting the tree-hugger regulations only delays the inevitable. Better to face the fact that we need to get oil out of the transportation equation before we screw up the environment, not after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections