Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that I have lost much of my respect for McCain since 2000, I still think he's the best Republican candidate we're going to get these days. As evidence of that statement, see this article.

TheHill.com - Rivals Obama and McCain work together behind scenes

That's a nice way to kick off a campaign that can hopefully be a bit more substantive, at least from the top down, than they've been the last few times around. It should also be noted from Barack Obama has been working on this legislation with Tom Coburn (R-OK) long before McCain jumped on. He really does make an effort to seek common ground with opposing parties, contrary to the opinions of the hyperpartisans on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:35 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,686,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Despite the fact that I have lost much of my respect for McCain since 2000, I still think he's the best Republican candidate we're going to get these days. As evidence of that statement, see this article.

That's a nice way to kick off a campaign that can hopefully be a bit more substantive, at least from the top down, than they've been the last few times around. It should also be noted from Barack Obama has been working on this legislation with Tom Coburn (R-OK) long before McCain jumped on. He really does make an effort to seek common ground with opposing parties, contrary to the opinions of the hyperpartisans on the internet.
McCain and Obama!!! Maybe they should be on the same ticket.
That is it the Republican party is now dead when to of the worst lobbyist offenders are working together to get rid of the lobbyist. Who put them up to that one the lobbyist.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:

Are you sure this is true?

The neocons in here will be apalled...they contend Obama NEVER ""reaches across the aisle""

The truth will cause them severe mental anguish!

But I'm sure they will give Old John the credit if they finally realize it's true.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
I, too, am hoping for more substance in this campaign. Hopefully our media has learned a valuable lesson, and will steer clear of the tabloid junk, and actually provide some substantive content.

I started 4 policy related threads last week, but hardly anyone was interested. It was all about "Obama Is A Martian" threads.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Are you sure this is true?

The neocons in here will be apalled...they contend Obama NEVER ""reaches across the aisle""
He never has reached across the aisle, and to state otherwise is just utter nonsense.

Dont find the timing ironic that he decides to help one bill right as he becomes the presidential nominee..

Probably just a coincidence though..

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He never has reached across the aisle, and to state otherwise is just utter nonsense.

Dont find the timing ironic that he decides to help one bill right as he becomes the presidential nominee..

I have posted several times examples of Obama working on, supporting, and co-sponsoring legislation with republicans...it's easily googled....but you just keep repeating it here and maybe magic will happen and it will come true for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Again your lack of reading comprehension prevents you from contributing a worthwhile thought.

Quote:
The bill is intended to approve an earlier measure, informally known as the “Google for Government” act, backed by Obama, McCain, Coburn and Carper in 2006.
That's just one example in the article I posted, which you either neglected to read or lacked the ability to understand. It's okay to form opinions based on more than your kneejerk emotional responses, my friend.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Quote:

Brav-fricking-O.

PLease note, right wingers: "McCain’s Senate office contacted Obama’s office Monday night asking to sign on to a bill opening federal government contracts to public scrutiny, according to three knowledgeable sources."

Right, McCain's office contacted Obama's. Obama's office is getting things done. McCain's has to ask to be included. AND OBAMA'S OFFICE SAID OF COURSE, COME IN, WE'RE BOTH WORKING FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY!

And that's a key difference btw left and right - the left tends to be liberal in sharing and kindness. The right...just look at posts around here for a taste.

(I do understand the more practical reason behind allowing them on.)

On the same topic of upliftion, oncerning the proposed debates, Obama's team suggests conducting them in Lincoln-Douglas debate style.

This country is going to be dragged upward out of the muck whether it wants to go or not.

Go Obama!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Again your lack of reading comprehension prevents you from contributing a worthwhile thought.

That's just one example in the article I posted, which you either neglected to read or lacked the ability to understand. It's okay to form opinions based on more than your kneejerk emotional responses, my friend.
You dont understand the irony in this, or the 2006 bill do you?

It takes a Congressional bill, to create a website, then it takes another Congressional bill, to actuall approve to improve (i.e. fix) the original website that was constructed.

"The new bill will increase the transparency of federal contracts by posting them online. Previously, only descriptions of the contracts have been available. "

For many that do not understand the irony, webmasters can create a website in about 30 minutes, we dont need Congress to authorize their creation, or their improvements, the department thats responsible for maintaining the website just does it..

Ahh, but yes, lets all sit on a forum website and applaud the fact that something is getting done.. woo hoo, way to go!!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Default I Stand Somewhat Corrected

The bill is intended to approve an earlier measure, informally known as the “Google for Government” act, backed by Obama, McCain, Coburn and Carper in 2006. That measure created a website — USASpending.gov – that allows the public to track down details on “all entities and organizations” receiving federal money.
That's what happens when ya don't read page 2! I take back some earlier woo-hooing.

Nevertheless,
“It’s a tribute to both of them,” he said. “Obama walks the words he says on the campaign trail by doing things differently. He didn’t have to have on McCain as a co-sponsor. The same can be said about McCain. McCain deserves credit, even though he may not have been involved in the crafting of the bill, he deserves credit for jumping on board.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections