Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can you explain "these" areas and why it is smart for a candidate running for president to win them?
Do I really have to?

I think you are astute enough to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Can you explain "these" areas and why it is smart for a candidate running for president to win them?
It smart for a democratic candidate to win them. "These areas" are the sole of the party working class white voters. The democrats and will not win with out them. The dems can always count on the black vote and that is why the need "these areas"

Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
I do not think so because it divided the country even further. It also showed us that the system is flawed and that each and every persons vote does not count in the end when a few can wipe out an entire group of votes cast by just their one vote.
The only way to tell really is in time to see if we learned something from it.
I dont think it united anyone at all, if anything it just seperated us and made us weaker. The weaker we are the weaker we become as a whole and cannot fix the terrible position we are in right now in the country.
No one seems to have the answers to our problems and this primaries was suppose to help us seperate the haves and the have nots to fix our problems and we did neither.
I would like to know what outsiders thoughts were on this, I did read someone from the UK state that America for once is in total choas with its election process.
So, no I think it hurt us allot.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I do not think so because it divided the country even further. It also showed us that the system is flawed and that each and every persons vote does not count in the end when a few can wipe out an entire group of votes cast by just their one vote.
The only way to tell really is in time to see if we learned something from it.
I dont think it united anyone at all, if anything it just seperated us and made us weaker. The weaker we are the weaker we become as a whole and cannot fix the terrible position we are in right now in the country.
No one seems to have the answers to our problems and this primaries was suppose to help us seperate the haves and the have nots to fix our problems and we did neither.
I would like to know what outsiders thoughts were on this, I did read someone from the UK state that America for once is in total choas with its election process.
So, no I think it hurt us allot.
Gotta disagree with you.

Obama's nomination went a long way toward America fulfilling its promise of equal opportunity for all --- and his acceptance speech will take place on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech...

Whether you support Obama's candidacy or not, you surely must admit that this is something of which all Americans can and should be proud.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Whether you support Obama's candidacy or not, you surely must admit that this is something of which all Americans can and should be proud.
Yes, but when he loses the cries of racism will be rampant. Which is it? Can't have it both ways.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Personally, I saw the 2008 primaries as a sad, sad event. I was absolutely flabergasted at the amount of hatred spewed everywhere like an after-frat party toilet gathering. The primaries were brought to the lowest common denominator about who is the biggest liar, who is a bigger racist, super scare tactics, and almost nothing about the policies of all the candidate-hopefuls.

I found that many people voted for what a candidate was and not what that candidate stood for. It very much reminded me of the school age popularity contests for student body president.

Have United States politics really degraded this much?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,577 times
Quote:
Which brings us to WV and KY. Both States which Senator Clinton won by a large majority and whom I'm certain you are using to substantiate your argument regarding race.
People were fast to scream "race" due to the stat that 1 in 5 felt race was an issue in these two states. Recently a poll posted on these forums indicated that 78% of Americans would vote for a black man. Of course, it wasn't noted that 22% WOULDN'T vote for a black man. The cup is only half empty when barefoot and ignorant peoples' are being spoken about. I've noticed that nobody seemed to want to absolve Appalachia of its "crimes." It looks to me like Appalachia is right in line with the rest of the US.

The reason as to WHY they voted for Clinton rather than Obama could be made into a 10,000 page political science PhD thesis - and that's no hyperbole. If an abbreviated version were formulated, one would say it is a manifestation of the deteriorating industrial base of the 70s and 80s that left the region economically inviable coupled with the bitter taste affirmative action left in the mouths of poor Appalachians that have faced similar economic and cultural indignities as blacks, thus leaving them marginalized in American society. Obama's rosy "Let's change the world" bull**** doesn't fly with them because we've heard it before and we feel that the aforementioned marginalization would only deepen. Appalachians GENUINELY like Hilary Clinton. That's why she beat Obama 67%-26% in WV, yet McCain only leads Obama 45%-37%.

Of course, all I heard from the media and on internet message forums was about how racist, backwards, uneducated, and poor Appalachia is. I know playing the race card is the easy answer, but it frustrates me as an educated Appalachian to see my people, with such beautiful history and culture, be trashed, again, by our sensationalist and intolerant society. Poor, white, and out of sight....

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 06-09-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes, but when he loses the cries of racism will be rampant. Which is it? Can't have it both ways.
If he wins there will be, too. We all just have to curb our uglier instincts, pay serious attention to the debates and read up on the issues and possibilities, and vote that way. Some people won't of course, but if most of us do that's the best we can hope for no matter which way it goes.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
This primary certainly exposed many hidden attitudes and many issues that the PC crowd does not like to discuss:

1. The Media bias. Obama has been the darling of NBC News and will continue to be. If elected, Obama's presidency will have asterisk that he was elected by the media, not the general public. Notice how the media talks about McCain being "old and past it" (a negative) while Obama is "young and energetic, full of change" (a positive). Negative for McCain vs. positive for Obama. If the media were truely non-biased, then they would portray McCain and Obama in the same positive/negative manner like this:

McCain - "Old and Wise" - positive
Obama - "Young and energetic, full of change" - positive
OR
McCain - "Old and past it" - negative
Obama - "Young, naive and inexperienced" - negative

2. This primary exposed that the young college age don't have a grasp on the issues and voted for Obama, like they would vote for an American Idol contestant.....based on popularity and coolness. The presidential race has become the most popular reality show on TV. Too much blurring of the media and real life.

3. This primary exposed that black racism does indeed exist. Trinity Church and it's racist pastor. The fact that 90% of black people voted for a black person. Racism is alive and well in the black community. Etc. Etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If he wins there will be, too.
Yup.
If he loses, there will be rampant cries of racism.
And if he wins, there will be too.
No matter the topic, if he says something there will be rampant cries of racism.
And if he stays silent, there will be too.
If he sings or dances or laughs or prays there will be rampant cries of racism.
If he doesn't do these things, there will be too.
If he dies young there will be rampant cries of racism.
And if he lives a long life, there will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections