Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times

Advertisements

We knew he would. When the going gets tough, Obama blames the Republicans. He's broken a promise he made at the start of this campaign. Prepare for more broken promises to come.

Political Punch

Quote:
"We've made the decision not to participate in the public financing system for the general election," Obama says in the video, blaming it on the need to combat Republicans, saying "we face opponents who’ve become masters at gaming this broken system. John McCain’s campaign and the Republican National Committee are fueled by contributions from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs. And we’ve already seen that he’s not going to stop the smears and attacks from his allies running so-called 527 groups, who will spend millions and millions of dollars in unlimited donations."
For those of you wondering if Obama actually made the pledge, here's what he wrote in 2007.

Quote:
"In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election."
According to McCain's campaign, Obama hasn't even tried. He hasn't talked to them. Is this an indication of his foreign policy talks with other countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
We knew he would. When the going gets tough, Obama blames the Republicans. He's broken a promise he made at the start of this campaign. Prepare for more broken promises to come.

Political Punch

For those of you wondering if Obama actually made the pledge, here's what he wrote in 2007.

According to McCain's campaign, Obama hasn't even tried. He hasn't talked to them. Is this an indication of his foreign policy talks with other countries?
This has nothing to do with policy talks with foreign countries, attempting to tie the two together is disingenious at best.

Obama enjoys a big financial advantage and he intends to use it. Why should he wallow in the slums with McCain when he has the resources to soar above it? Good move Barack.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This has nothing to do with policy talks with foreign countries, attempting to tie the two together is disingenious at best.

Obama enjoys a big financial advantage and he intends to use it. Why should he wallow in the slums with McCain when he has the resources to soar above it? Good move Barack.
You praise him for breaking a pledge he made when he had no money. The McCain campaign says he hasn't tried to talk to them about this according to the article, yet he says his campaign says he did. When talking with foreign countries, will he make the same claim that he tried diplomatic talks but made no headway? Everything is related when it comes to personality/policy.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:
You praise him for breaking a pledge he made when he had no money. The McCain campaign says he hasn't tried to talk to them about this according to the article, yet he says his campaign says he did. When talking with foreign countries, will he make the same claim that he tried diplomatic talks but made no headway? Everything is related when it comes to personality/policy.

This will give Obama a giant financial advantage over McCain. By some estimates, Obama could raise as much as 300 million, meanwhile McCain will be stuck at spending 85 million between now and election day. I said this was a good move, well I've changed my mind...this is a GREAT move.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This will give Obama a giant financial advantage over McCain. By some estimates, Obama could raise as much as 300 million, meanwhile McCain will be stuck at spending 85 million between now and election day. I said this was a good move, well I've changed my mind...this is a GREAT move.
Obama broke his promise and you praise him. That's real change for sure.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM

509 posts, read 691,378 times
I agree, McCain or any other candidate would have done the something. It is a smart move.
However he will have to take the criticism that he did break his promise.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
I agree, McCain or any other candidate would have done the something. It is a smart move.
However he will have to take the criticism that he did break his promise.
It's just the beginning. If Obama is elected, he will break nearly every promise he's made. He's not for real change. He's about getting elected.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,662 times
Quote:
It's just the beginning. If Obama is elected, he will break nearly every promise he's made. He's not for real change. He's about getting elected.
paperhouse, you seem to be a pretty shrewd and realistic type. I think that Obama has indeed looked at the situation and decided that in order to enact change, he must first get elected. In order to get elected, he must spend money, lots of money. The amount of money that it takes to campaign in most media markets is outrageous and he is taking advantage of the fact that his fundraising abilities far surpass John McCain's.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, alot of people won't realize that until he gets elected then it will be too late.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 AM

540 posts, read 962,548 times
Obama made a political decision here. Which would help his campaign more - having more money or keeping his word. He decided that having the money was more important than getting elected - more important than keeping his word and more important than making the CHANGEs to the way campaign have been run in the past. Obama's change continues to be filled with emptiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections