Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Now now remember Rove is in charge of the McCain campaign now expect a distortion repeat of the slaughter against McCain in 2000. How ironic and what a TURNING of events and allegiance. Oh well all is fair in love and politics and you already know about McCain's ethics in matters of love. So why would politics surprise anyone?
I don't getcha. I'm pointing out it was a BS rally that the OP is hoping no one will read further about so that they'll imagine blocs of Obamatons alternately Sieg-Heiling and doing a schottische on the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
G O O D !

I "boo" it, too!
What a silly thing! To have to pledge to a country I was born in and am a citizen of! THAT makes me an American!

Just WHO decided I HAVE to re-affirm my citizenship????

Will I LOSE IT if I don't repeat some mumbojumbo?

"""""Laurence Britt, a political scientist, wrote an article about fascism which appeared in Free Inquiry magazine -- a journal of humanist thought. Mr. Britt studied the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile). He found the regimes all had 14 things in common, and he calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The article is titled 'Fascism Anyone?', by Laurence Britt, and appears in Free
Inquiry's Spring 2003 issue on page 20.

The 14 characteristics are:

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism -- Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia.
Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays."""""""""""""

I'm old, I repeat myself.....

Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
To the posters defending the booing of the idea of saying of the pledge of allegiance i really am hoping some of you have some influence at the Democrat national convention this summer.
Oh, how wonderfully revealing to the American people it would be to see a whole convention hall full of left wing Obama supporting America haters rise up and actually boo the pledge. That should give the Messiah a big boost coming out of the convention huh?
Never happen. The mainstream media would simply not show it.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Never happen. The mainstream media would simply not show it.
It was a meeting of local delegates at a high school

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Now now remember Rove is in charge of the McCain campaign now expect a distortion repeat of the slaughter against McCain in 2000. How ironic and what a TURNING of events and allegiance. Oh well all is fair in love and politics and you already know about McCain's ethics in matters of love. So why would politics surprise anyone?
What evidence do you have that Rove has anything to do with the McCain campaign, much more that he is running it?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
What evidence do you have that Rove has anything to do with the McCain campaign, much more that he is running it?
OMG! Are you kidding?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
Sorry I just realized I left the link off yesterday. Thanks for posting it Wal.

Sad to think that any American at a political function where you should show pride in your country could boo the pledge!

Sad too that School children today don't sing the Star Spangled Banner or even know the words to it!

When I was in Elementary School in the 1950's the whole school started the day off every day by gathering in the auditorium saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the Star Spangled Banner. We sang so loudly and proudly that we shook the rafters in that old auditorium!

The Cub Scouts and Brownies took turns carrying the US and NC flags to the stage.

I could hardly wait until I was old enough to join the Cub Scouts, wear the blue uniform and carry the flag! Thus my unbridled patriotism was tainted by a selfish motivation.

Today children don't even know the words to the Star Spangled Banner!

SAD
As someone who went to elementary school in the 90s I can say that the pledge was still said right up through school for me.... In addition, I know that we frequently had assemblies where "You're a Grand Old Flag," "God Bless America," the anthem, and "America the Beautiful" were sung....

I think that this is just another boomer misconception of "these durned kids."

Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Charlie Black, Rove and the Bush family go back together to B & R's College Republican days.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
As someone who went to elementary school in the 90s I can say that the pledge was still said right up through school for me.... In addition, I know that we frequently had assemblies where "You're a Grand Old Flag," "God Bless America," the anthem, and "America the Beautiful" were sung....

I think that this is just another boomer misconception of "these durned kids."
There may have been no flag in the room TO pledge to. You can read the link I provided upthread for a very different picture of that meeting than what the OP would have you believe.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 AM

415 posts, read 611,013 times
The Pledge of Allegiance's Straight-Arm Salute: 1892-1942

http://www.undergodprocon.org/images/BigPledge.gif (broken link)

School children, in this undated Library of Congress photo, are saluting the flag during the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Under God ProCon.org - (http://www.undergodprocon.org/pop/BigPledge.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections