Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times

Advertisements

Some of the more liberal leaning polls are saying Kentucky is still in play for Obama, but I personally think that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

First of all, Clinton won the state DRASTICALLY. In the exit polls, 41% of Clinton supporters said they would vote McCain over Obama and 18% said they wouldn't vote; it was the highest vote in a democratic primary against Obama.

On top of it, Bush creamed Kerry and Gore in the state.

To say that McCain will loose Kentucky is like saying Obama will loose Washington....some things just wont happen, and this is one of them.

There are other states where I think the liberal media is blowing hot air against McCain in Obama's favor, and that is Nevada, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, and Ohio. He is not loosing any of those states despite what polls say.

For most of the "democrats" in those states, they are only democrats because of their financial status, but are willing to go republican if democratic candidates are too liberal/left leaning.

I have a problem with these polls, and I dont see McCain loosing any of them despite what some polls say.

I also dont see Wisconsin or Minnesota going for McCain like some polls suggest.

The true states up-for-grabs: Oregon, New Mexico, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire. All the others are pretty much locked unless something drastic happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 AM

422 posts, read 759,209 times
Hell no. These polls this year have been completely out of whack. I do personally believe Obama has a slight lead on McCain right now, but I'm not buying these polls that show him up double digits or with states like Kentucky where he got owned in the Democratic primary actually in play.

Quote:
There are other states where I think the liberal media is blowing hot air against McCain in Obama's favor, and that is Nevada, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, and Ohio. He is not loosing any of those states despite what polls say.
Well in Colorado the DNC is being held there, which helps Obama. Also, the demographics of the state have changed drastically. Even though Hispanics don't like blacks, I think most Hispanics will ultimately vote Democratic. Obama didn't do well in the Democratic primary in Ohio, but some of the shenanigans of the trade unionists here have effectively put the state in play. I agree that Florida is not in play, because the GOP machine is strong there. Obama will win Iowa easy, as that was the site of his first (and most important) victory, as well as proximity to Chicago.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Hell no. These polls this year have been completely out of whack. I do personally believe Obama has a slight lead on McCain right now, but I'm not buying these polls that show him up double digits or with states like Kentucky where he got owned in the Democratic primary actually in play.

Well in Colorado the DNC is being held there, which helps Obama. Also, the demographics of the state have changed drastically. Even though Hispanics don't like blacks, I think most Hispanics will ultimately vote Democratic. Obama didn't do well in the Democratic primary in Ohio, but some of the shenanigans of the trade unionists here have effectively put the state in play. I agree that Florida is not in play, because the GOP machine is strong there. Obama will win Iowa easy, as that was the site of his first (and most important) victory, as well as proximity to Chicago.
Despite the increase in hispanics, the "white" suburbs of Denver have grown substantially. Also, Obama's gun control record wont hold up too well in the rural areas in Colorado. Yes, Hispanics may come into play, but hispanics register at a rate lower than any other subgroup (and actually have the lowest voter turnout as well) so I really dont think it is high enough to have an affect. Illegals, which are counted in the population, dont count either.

Ohio-it will be close, but it is still a midwest state that does not appreciate such liberal leanings. They may still be hesitant to vote for an African American (despite what they say). After all, Ohio is not a progressive place like Chicago. I think Wright scared many of them too, as did his clinging to guns statements to many Ohioers (?).

I dont think Iowa is as much for Obama as Michigan is for McCain. Iowa voted before Wright and the "small town and guns" stuff...the vote might have been different had they voted after. I question Iowa only because I know its a state that is still conservative although they are democrats because of their financial standings. Its not a socially liberal place....the places Obama does well. It will be a hard fought contest, and thankfully for McCain, if he can win Michigan, Iowa will be washed away due to its population.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
He's got NO shot in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections