Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Interesting article from the rather liberal Slate online magazine, summarizing Obama shifts during the past month. It doesn't include his latest substantial shift concerning Iraq, but is still a pretty good summary:

Keeping tabs on Obama's shifts toward the center. - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
These issues are the foundations of his candidacy. Scrap them, and you've got Democrat X.

Perhaps Democrat X can win, when Y and Z didn't.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Really good article Newtoca! Thanks .............

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Ditto!

Love to see them hold his feet to the fire.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Interesting article from the rather liberal Slate online magazine, summarizing Obama shifts during the past month. It doesn't include his latest substantial shift concerning Iraq, but is still a pretty good summary:

Keeping tabs on Obama's shifts toward the center. - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine
Slate has been a contrarian, center-left magazine, often with neo-conservative foreign policy leanings, for some time. Rather liberal it is not.

So, unsurprisingly, many of these examples don't really present any change in position. For example, you can disagree with Moveon's Petraus ad without feeling the Senate needed to sign an official condemnation of it. Same with the Israeli issue.

Not that there haven't been some changes, some more egregious than others. Politics and all. Still, compared to the guy he's running against, who either doesn't know what he stands for, or will completely change his stances depending on what year it is, I still find him remarkably consistent. Especially for a politician at this stage.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
Many are seeing him moving to the center, many liberals are seeing it and becoming upset.
But there are those liberals who just wont accept it. They are in denial of this because they dont want to believe he would toss them under the bus.
This is not the end of this, you will see more and more people become upset about his shifting on policies.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Thats too bad for them.

Wouldn't want to, you know, compromise on anything now would we?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
He i9s justmaking the long expected shift to thecenter that all candiadtes do. Bill Clinton did it and has talked about the fact that that was Giores and Kerrys flaw in their campaigns. Heck even Reagan did it. There will be a more pronounced move once a president is elected just as reagan and clinton did.Watch things like the recent committee meetings on the oil crisis in both houses and you will see what kind of bills he will beseeing coming for his signature. Even Schumer has called for a grand compromise that allows drilling offshore and along with alternatives.Obama will shift or be shifted.Evcen reagan was not elected by only republicans nor can Obma win with just left wing democrats. heck he didn't even get enough votes to win the nomination without the super delegates.In fact it is i dispute if he even won the most popular votes by democrats.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Medea Benjamin and her band of Code Pinkers are not at all happy with Obama's recent move to the center on issues when she was interviewd the other night.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Medea Benjamin and her band of Code Pinkers are not at all happy with Obama's recent move to the center on issues when she was interviewd the other night.
In thinking about this issue I guess my sentiment is that I can understand his need to moderate his positions but seems to be doing it in a rather odd way.

To me, it appears that he is assuming his base is set, and he will get their votes due to lack of acceptable alternatives. At this point, he appears to be trying to appeal to the centrist voters.

It seems to me that he has really done this in a very sudden and abrupt manner, causing some of his more passionate supporters to pause and evaluate what this all means.

I suspect many (if not most) will rationalize these significant and substantial changes as unimportant, or needed to attract votes. I would have some concerns that he may be an individual who ends up being "slick", like when he proposed that his current Iraq position isn't different than what he had previously stated.

It appears that Obama supportive publications such as the New York Times, Washington Post and Slate are starting to publish articles highlighting these changed positions, and questioning what he would do as president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections