Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it bother you when religious figures get involved in politcs? (see details below)
It doesn't bother me 4 12.90%
It bothers me somewhat 3 9.68%
It really bothers me 22 70.97%
No opinion/Not sure 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,705,940 times

Advertisements

I get so mad when I see them standing with the bible in their hand.

It almost seems like these people are saying "screw religion" when they just use the platform as their own personal stage. They dont believe in the religion, they just like the control, and being able to spew their often times extremist views.

Do you ever hear any of those people (Wright, Jackson, or Sharpton) talk about the good of god in their interviews? No, they always use their influence in the church for corrupt political purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,860 times
I don't care. Just because one is a minister doesn't mean they can't express a political opinion. Such is the American way of life.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't care. Just because one is a minister doesn't mean they can't express a political opinion. Such is the American way of life.
But they do it in CHURCH. That is where I have the problem. Wrights comments were all made when he was supposedly "spreading the word of god." Instead of doing that, he was spreading his own extremist words.

God looks down in shame.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
But they do it in CHURCH. That is where I have the problem. Wrights comments were all made when he was supposedly "spreading the word of god." Instead of doing that, he was spreading his own extremist words.

God looks down in shame.
I think the Church has an obligation to get out their views on issues such as abortion, and other moral issues. Many Catholics I know (I am Catholic) are staunch supporters of abortion, gay marriage, etc. When I tell them the Catholic Church doesn't believe in abortion, they tell me "they don't care either way" which is not true. The Catholic Church has many positions on issues that intertwine with the politics of today. They should have the obligation to let their position be known.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I think the Church has an obligation to get out their views on issues such as abortion, and other moral issues. Many Catholics I know (I am Catholic) are staunch supporters of abortion, gay marriage, etc. When I tell them the Catholic Church doesn't believe in abortion, they tell me "they don't care either way" which is not true. The Catholic Church has many positions on issues that intertwine with the politics of today. They should have the obligation to let their position be known.
But, on Sunday service, people go to church for a spiritual connection and to connect with God.

They dont go there to hear an extremist spew his political views all over everyone. I dont want to go to church to hear someone ramble about their own political views. Its a big "f you" to God by the pastor that just uses his stage as a stage to express crap.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times
Yes, the Church should stay clear of any political affiliation & I believe this is a very poor practice. Some of the sermons [Rev Wright] were addressing unjust police behavior & policies but the harsh words are disturbing, none the less. On the other hand, free speech is our right so let the preachers cut loose w/ hate & maybe some day their parishioners will give them the boot

BTW the Catholic priest who mocked Hilary Clinton was suspended for 2 wks by his bishop. More of this kind of discipline needs to be applied to the radical far Right clergy, as well.

Churches should be taxed & then provided government funds to do good works [work with the poor/ visit prisoners/ work for safe neighborhoods & schools\ tutoring, etc]. With a tax on churches the government can force them to do the good things Christians are suppose to do [instead of the hate & ignorance dished out by some evangelical\ free Baptists

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 PM

583 posts, read 1,253,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
They already are, you just must not live in a part of the country that has this problem.

When I lived in Texas I lived in a county that was dry, didn't serve liquor because of the Baptists, for years we had blue laws so you couldn't go shopping on Sunday and they routinely voted against paramutual betting even to the deterement of the area.
You are right, not only I've never lived in such places but have never visited. I've heard of 'dry' counties, but that's about it.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,456,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
You are right, not only I've never lived in such places but have never visited. I've heard of 'dry' counties, but that's about it.
Dry counties are GREAT to live in. They have more alcohol related accidents and arrests then counties where alcohol is freely available.

BECAUSE people are still going to drink, if they live in a dry county they just have to travel to get it so they have to drive back drunk.

My experience has been with Baptists in Texas only.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,586,421 times
Although Church is seperate from state, some of our most inspirational political voices have also been those of spiritual leaders, you name some yourself, but I like to name that of Dr. Martin Luther King. The reason being, we are often closer to our community leaders, whether pastors or mayors than those of national politics. Church is also subjective and it really depends on how you use it, Ghandi once said "all religions end at the same destination, it does not matter how you get there".

Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Although Church is seperate from state, some of our most inspirational political voices have also been those of spiritual leaders, you name some yourself, but I like to name that of Dr. Martin Luther King. The reason being, we are often closer to our community leaders, whether pastors or mayors than those of national politics. Church is also subjective and it really depends on how you use it, Ghandi once said "all religions end at the same destination, it does not matter how you get there".
Very good point. Dr King spoke of hope & caring for one another. But some of the extremist preachers only speak of hate & power; truly frightening individuals who need to be laid low [like Rev Haggard after he was outed as being involved in gay sex & drug activity with a male prostitute].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections